How much effort required? (1 Viewer)

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
how much effort is required to complete a degree? how many hours study and what are the demands of assignmnts etc. in a degree? how would you compare the workload to hsc? what are the difference in workload from tafe and university degree?

i know it depends what mark you are after, say credit average.

and what course are you doing? does anyone know the completion rate for accounting degrees?

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Generally speaking if you've got the right secondary schooling background (ie. you actually did something in high school) and you have any sort of aptitude in the area that you're studying, a credit average is a foregone conclusion. You just have to do a reasonable amount of study.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
It really depends on the course, the subject, your natural ability and interest in the subject.

Its hard to compare the HSC to university and most people find that after the first semester they settle into the course and find it less demanding.

Uni is demanding, I wont lie to you. It requires you to work hard and is more intensive than the HSC, you may study one topic/concept a week and not revise it again until the end but remember its intensive for the 13 weeks each semester but not for a whole year.

Each person is different and deals with the study load differently. You will learn to adapt to techniques that suit you best. No one will be able to tell you how you will cope. The best thing is to try it and you can always change courses later on.

rozymisty

HSC
for crying out loud, not another, 'im a bludger but i want to go to uni' type thread....your crazy. If your not going to pu in hte effort, dont bother going on to further study. Just sit on your arse all day and do nothing.

HSC
N/A
The work load might be similar to tafe, depending on the degree and tafe course. It could be more, or it could be less.

It's the level the work is at, that is the big difference.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
There is no simple answer to this question. You may find it really hard and no matter how much work you do barely scrape through with a pass. You might do nothing and get distinctions.

Personally I did nothing for the HSC and do even less now and I get D's. I know other people doing basically the same subjects who do extensive notes for every lecture, all the tutorial questions and spend much more time on assessments and they don't do as well.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
you have to put some sort of effort in, even though if youre aiming for a pass.
usually, for me is that whenever i have 6 contact hours for that subject, i have to 6 hours of study for that subject, but usually noone ever follows that pattern.
tafe is a lot more easier i think when it comes to new material being taught and the the less stressful workload than uni.
credit average isnt usually hard to obtain, if you put the right mindset into it.

i would say accounting would probably have a higher completion rate than say engineering, simply because engineering is a lot 'harder' than accounting.
im doing forensic science and im finding the workload to be handled pretty easily

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
rozymisty said:
for crying out loud, not another, 'im a bludger but i want to go to uni' type thread....your crazy. If your not going to pu in hte effort, dont bother going on to further study. Just sit on your arse all day and do nothing.
why are you jumping to conclusions?

i think you are bit insecure, maybe you think im in the situation you are?

where did i mention i dont want to put in the effort?

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
also can someone in accounting or business course let me now, on average how many subjects you are expected to take in every semester and what the university recommends for students to study?

dude01

HSC
Most business students take 4 subjects per semester, but many take less or even more (I know someone doing 5 subs). The recommended load is 4 subs though.

The workload in business isn't very much at all and I find it pretty laid back. I never go to lectures, do barely anything in tutorials yet easily get credits as a minimum. You can bludge, but you must work hard on assignments and exams when the time comes. Compared to law (my other degree) business is what I'd call fun. Also, if you're not good with numbers, why not consider majoring in something else other than accounting? Like HR or marketing?

Seriously, stop thinking about it and just do it. If you hate it or find it too hard just drop out. There's no shame in that. Uni isn't for everyone.

HSC
i'm pretty sure you do four subjects a session, and you are expected to do 12 hours for each subject per week (including your normal contact hours). so if you have 4 contact hours you do 8 outside it. in theory. but depending on your ability and your understanding of the material etc that number could be much less or much more.

p.s. this is generally speaking for courses, guidelines set by uow.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
watatank said:
i'm pretty sure you do four subjects a session, and you are expected to do 12 hours for each subject per week (including your normal contact hours). so if you have 4 contact hours you do 8 outside it. in theory. but depending on your ability and your understanding of the material etc that number could be much less or much more.

p.s. this is generally speaking for courses, guidelines set by uow.
Thats starndard for most uni's and most course I have encountered (Law, Arts, Social Science and from friends in business).

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
DO NOT go to uni if you are looking for a bludge.... like I posted in the last thread like this.. GO TO TAFE.. bludge there

rozymisty

HSC
And what makes you think im insecure??? How dare you say that i did my course coz im in the same situation as you?!!!

I went through 3 yrs of a primary education degree, putting in lots of efforts and struggling in the process due to financial reasons, yet I certainly put in the effort! That course was very time consuming and I certainly didnt bludge my way through it!
Then i decided it wasnt the career for me, not coz im a bludger, but because I didnt think it was suitable for me and that i wouldnt enjoy it. So i went with what I wanted, nursing, and I am certainly not bludging!

From all your posts about which course is less stressful etc you seem to imply that you are wanting an easy way to get into uni nad not wanting to do much work to pass! ANd you dont listen to pple saying that everyone finds uni different so you just have to find out what your interests are and stick with that!! Get it through your head and stop annoying people with just repeating your simple question!!!

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
rozymisty said:
And what makes you think im insecure??? How dare you say that i did my course coz im in the same situation as you?!!!

I went through 3 yrs of a primary education degree, putting in lots of efforts and struggling in the process due to financial reasons, yet I certainly put in the effort! That course was very time consuming and I certainly didnt bludge my way through it!
Then i decided it wasnt the career for me, not coz im a bludger, but because I didnt think it was suitable for me and that i wouldnt enjoy it. So i went with what I wanted, nursing, and I am certainly not bludging!

From all your posts about which course is less stressful etc you seem to imply that you are wanting an easy way to get into uni nad not wanting to do much work to pass! ANd you dont listen to pple saying that everyone finds uni different so you just have to find out what your interests are and stick with that!! Get it through your head and stop annoying people with just repeating your simple question!!!
First of all, dont think you are the only one in deep financial troubles or whatever problems you may have, there are certainly fair amount of people who can afford to study due to their parents being able to support study but there also those who couldn't study due to family commitments, financial struggles etc. which simply tells me your situation was hard but not all that DIFFICULT to handle.

Second of all, you certainly look insecure by being ***defensive***, if you aren't there is no point for you to be so ***defensive*** about what i said.

Third of all, i am not the person who posted the other threads except questions in regards to university application, experiences, requirements etc. because i am in the process of transitioning into study after 3 years of non-study, i thought this forum was for the sole purpose of giving advice, sharing advice in regards to education.

Maybe you need to get it through your thick head, you are not only one who went through struggles and the only one who puts effort into things they value.

rozymisty

HSC
I NEVER gave any indication of me being the only one who was struggling, not only due to financial constraints but also the person fmaily problems which make uni difficult. I know many students who are in that boat.

I certainly admire mostly those mature age students, the mothers and fathers who give up a lot to go to uni to further their careers and provide a better future for themself and their family! I knw from first hand what its like, coz mum went backt o uni to make a difference,and im friends with many mature students who struggle to balance uni, study and family. THey deserve a medel for sure!

For example, most uni students are WELL below the poverty line, which hte gov aparently classifies as $600 a week. Most uni students if they only get centrelink dont get that in like a month! Centrelink is so warped that they think uni students can survive on 2 min noodles and starving themselves, and living in houses that are cramped and old, some of them anyway, particularly around my uni, there are a lot of old qlders.

Finally I wasnt being defensive, i was just mearly voicing my frustration that you seem to want an easy course. Sure after being out of study for more than 1yr its diffuclt to get back into it, but everyone just needs to find what they like and stick with it.

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
i talked with my brother, he was a high distinction graduate with honours and he said no long hours are required except commitment to study everyday and not fall behind, and you get one week exam study time this is where you need to do 12 hour study daily to do well in the exams, otherwise during the semester you do 2-3 hour study daily, and attend all tutorials and lectures for further understanding to get good grades.

tafe and uni effort is the same, just that uni is more indepth.

is this right?? i feel it must be right, because i feel studying 7 hours is insane, and by the time exams roll around, a average human being will be exhausted or brain-fried.

also using resources to your advantage is important, sitting front row so you can pair up with the smarter people and they will help you get very good grades, with my help involved.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
we do not know how smart you are

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)