How much should a private tutor charge? (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
'I got 99.95, therefore I will be a good tutor'. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

When it comes to tutoring, you want quality not quantity. For example, if I wanted to be tutored for second year uni (lol sif), then I would much rather have an hour with a professor, than with a Third Year student, you know what I'm saying.

However, this is assuming that professor is one of the decent ones, not one of the ones that just drone on and you're half asleep in lectures ;)

This is not to say that there aren't any excellent tutors who are recent graduates! Some of the people who just graduated here would make excellent tutors!
Agree with you thoroughly!

ThaiN

HSC
Not to generalise, but honestly, if a recent graduate is charging $40/h then odds are they are in it for the money and won't put much dedication into it. The only extra bit of advice I have to add is that you shouldn't think that the tutors (talking recent grads --> teachers/long-time tutors are a different story) who charge less are less capable at teaching. As long as your tutor understands the course well enough, and is able to transfer their understanding to you, while making you feel comfortable/creating an enjoyable environment in which to learn, then they are A-grade in my books.

TL;DR If you feel your tutor is in it for the money, rather than your personal development/growth for the HSC, bail out ASAP.

michaeljennings

HSC
TL;DR If you feel your tutor is in it for the money, rather than your personal development/growth for the HSC, bail out ASAP.
+1, my tutor wouldnt just help me during our lessons but he would work on harder questions throughout the week and write up solutions for me

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
If she is well prepared at home and she does a studying plan for me, and she wants to teach me as moon as possible. That's to say, she is a considerable and willing to help, kind of tutor. Would $40 still worth?
I just find it too pricy,,... Still

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
$40/hr is too expensive for a recent graduate. Regardless of 99+ATAR's, 90+'s in subjects, High UMAT, whatever.

That tells you that they know how to learn for themselves, not necessarily how to teach. With the HSC changing a little more each year (less rote learning -- see 3u paper :) ), it is imperative you find someone who will help YOU learn. You should try out more than one, I tried out 3 before I found the Maths tutor who helped me own the HSC.

Saying this, im sure some high achievers are great tutors, but I also know of a couple who just say 'do these exercises' and then go on facebook...

Tinker

HSC
One-on-one is $25 for the inexperienced and $30 for the experienced. What you are paying is really expensive, especially for an inexperienced student. Look for another one on these forums. There are heaps!

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
One-on-one is $25 for the inexperienced and $30 for the experienced. What you are paying is really expensive, especially for an inexperienced student. Look for another one on these forums. There are heaps!
Thanks mate
But I don't go tutor no more..
Too busy with my studies

1st in Business

HSC
that seems a bit much man haha i reckon $25/hour but if she's not pro, go for someone who is :)

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
i think its pretty reasonable :)

my tutor charges $40 an hour, but she went to J Ruse and got 99.95.. so i think its worth it :) haha

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Mathematics, carrotsticks. I know, astounding price but I follow her because my sister did. However, I don't think it's a waste of money because she taught me to enjoy doing maths. I find myself having a reason to do maths homework now :D Also, she's taught for about 15 years now so I find she has experience.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Mathematics, carrotsticks. I know, astounding price but I follow her because my sister did. However, I don't think it's a waste of money because she taught me to enjoy doing maths. I find myself having a reason to do maths homework now :D Also, she's taught for about 15 years now so I find she has experience.
If that is the case, then by all means keep her!

It is very hard nowadays to find tutors/teachers who actually inspire their kids to actually do their work and to enjoy what they do.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Yeah, I imagine most of them making their students rote learn through relentless exercises.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
@Drongoski, It is supposed to be $70/ hour although I will guarantee that we always go over time by like 15 to 20 minutes. This is because she is waiting for her next student that comes 30 minutes after me.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
@Drongoski, It is supposed to be $70/ hour although I will guarantee that we always go over time by like 15 to 20 minutes. This is because she is waiting for her next student that comes 30 minutes after me.
Wish I were as in demand as her and at $70 too. Must be really good. Is that for Yr 9?

Last edited:

annieeeex

HSC
N/A
yeah its expensive cus my private tutor which is a teacher at school, tutors me for 40 bucks. and your tutor just finished school so yeah. But my englsih tutor who just finished uni charges me 40 for an hour and a half. So it really depends, if your tutor's really good 40 bucks is worth it. Trust me private tutoring's pretty tiring, 40 bucks is worth it IFFFFFFFF your tutor's good :). If shes not that good then meh. Find a better tutor. It's alright that tutors make minor mistakes but if she keeps doing that then find a new tutor, there are so much good tutors out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)