How much study should I be doing? (1 Viewer)

SophxMusic

HSC
Hey guys, so I'm starting year 12 now.
I'm currently doing:
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Extension 2 English
Biology
Physics
Advanced Maths

I currently have a fairly open timetable, 3 days a fortnight I have an hour of private study, 5 days I have two hours and Wednesday I have 5 hours of private study.
I'm utilizing this time wisely, actually doing work... It works out at 23 hours a fortnight of time in school that I am free to use however I like (2 of these are formally dedicated to EX2)
Many places recommend doing 3-4 hours a night of study, but I'm assuming this applies to people who have a full school day? I am willing to dedicate out of school time to study, but what do you guys think?
Considering I always have at least 1 hour a day, usually 2, aand once a week 5 hours.. How much should I be doing outside of school?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
It really depends how capable you are and what marks you want to get.

Based on your sig, I'd suggest that for each hour in class, you spend at least an equivalent hour outside class doing work. Eg, if you spend 5 hours in class per day, 5 days a week, that would be an equivalent of 25 hours over the week you should study on your own. Evened out between the 7 days, that's about 3/3.5 hours per day. You might find doing a few hours extra on the weekend works and gives you a break during the week.

Ext 2 English is really a HUGE workload. Much more than the single unit suggests. I'd say you need at least 4-5 hours of your own time dedicated to researching/writing each week (perhaps more if it's an essay instead of a creative piece).

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
as i'm doing the hsc now i can give you my 'study routine'. besides the 2 weeks leading up to exam periods i only did homework and updated my dot points as we progressed through the syllabus. i don't think you need to be doing as much study as you're planning to, however, if you want to then go for it. to me it seems excessive but it all depends on the person. if you think you need to do this much study then have at it ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)