how to be successful at uni? (1 Viewer)

shinningstar

HSC
just wondering, im in year 12 now.
also, is there any way we could get ahead for uni?
i mean after we decide what we'll study, is there any way of preparing before uni beings in march??

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Common sense. Don't bury your head in a book and then fail to see the real world practical uses.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
i mean after we decide what we'll study, is there any way of preparing before uni beings in march??
Learn about the field your going into. I'm amazed at how little people (and how little I knew) when entering my field of study. Research the important people, understand their contribution. The more you know going in, the stronger your position will be.

Other things you can do is find your way around the campus, learn what the social life is like there, and getting used to academic referencing.

But really, it's your first major break after 13 years of schooling. Take advantage of that, and actually spend some time doing the things you want to do.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
The main difference with HSC and uni involved: learning how to read efficiently and being critical of the information that I learned during my studies.

In my first semester of uni, unfortunately I didn't know how to read efficiently and wasted a lot of time. Before and during semester 1, I mentally spoke the words in my mind, and eventually I realised that severely limited my reading speed. You have to learn how to speed read or skim if you haven't already. Don't be afraid of ignoring some readings, be selective.

Being critical in an academic context involves finding strengths/weaknesses/limitations/assumptions in arguments or theories. Watching 'Harvard Justice' on youtube helped me develop this skill. It's a really great series of lectures based on moral philosophy.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Depends what you're studying.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
No point preparing ahead of uni (I tried myself and it was pointless) , just enjoy your break after the HSC.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Just ensure you're very organised and research what your course is about and what you are going to learn about. Don't enter the course not knowing what you're going to learn and if it's going to be interesting or not.

My huge regret was studying my first course at UNSW, I solely it entered it because of the ATAR cut off and it was terrible. I didn't do any research and didn't know anything about the course, I hated it :)

Selling Chem, Bio notes
HSC
Uni Grad
doing the IB imo automatically prepares you more for Uni than the HSC. The Chemistry stuff in the IB lasts you through even 2nd Semester (USYD)!

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
Reading the course outline

It amazes me how many people don't read this thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)