How to check if someone graduated from a particular university. (1 Viewer)

rx34

HSC
Hi there, is there any possible way to find out if a certain someone graduated from his/her course in university? Currently I know her university, course (engineering, not sure which type though), full name and approximately which year and semester she could have 'graduated'. Obviously I won't be able to get grades; all I want to know is if that person did graduate or not.

LordPc

HSC
lemme check

*flips through a book titled "Effective Stalking Techniques"*

no, nothing in here, sorry

Miner

HSC
Hi there, is there any possible way to find out if a certain someone graduated from his/her course in university? Currently I know her university, course (engineering, not sure which type though), full name and approximately which year and semester she could have 'graduated'. Obviously I won't be able to get grades; all I want to know is if that person did graduate or not.
Ask her for a copy of her academic transcript or to sight her parchment. If you aren't in a position to do that, then it is probably none of your business in the first place.

X

xeuyrawp

I'm sure there are privacy rules that prevent this.
Yes and no. Essentially with prospective employers, I think it works this way:

Prospective employers do sometimes ring up universities to confirm records like transcripts and testamurs. What they are effectively doing is not asking about a student's information (which would be a violation of privacy laws, I would assume) but actually confirming the authenticity of a document (which is legal). Ie you're not saying "Did James get x marks with y degree?", but you're saying "I have a document which said that James got x marks with y degree, can you confirm this is an accurate, official university document?"

If you ring up a uni without a record, though, they won't give you anything, but rather suggest that you get a transcript/testamur from the student, which you can then confirm yourself (based on the fact that they're usually difficult to forge) or ring up to confirm.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes and no. Essentially with prospective employers, I think it works this way:

Prospective employers do sometimes ring up universities to confirm records like transcripts and testamurs. What they are effectively doing is not asking about a student's information (which would be a violation of privacy laws, I would assume) but actually confirming the authenticity of a document (which is legal). Ie you're not saying "Did James get x marks with y degree?", but you're saying "I have a document which said that James got x marks with y degree, can you confirm this is an accurate, official university document?"

If you ring up a uni without a record, though, they won't give you anything, but rather suggest that you get a transcript/testamur from the student, which you can then confirm yourself (based on the fact that they're usually difficult to forge) or ring up to confirm.
No they still cant do that.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
you should ask to see an official academic transcript if you're a boss looking to hire a student with a degree. Then check them for ID/student id to confirm they are using their own certificate

If you just want to stalk, you could google their name and see what it comes up with. Also, find out what theyre doing atm, if they are doing a phd/hons, then they have done a bachelor degree *.

*before someone corrects me, i'd say there is a 99.999% chance this is the case.

X

xeuyrawp

No they still cant do that.
Erm, I'm not an expert on privacy law, so I'm not able to tell if you if they can or can't, but I can assure you that it often happens. I'm confident that the general process is how I outlined it at most unis. I'm sure that some unis have their own processes, and others just rely on what is legal. I'd highly doubt that the scale to which it happens (hundreds a year) would occur if it were illegal, though.

Edit:
you should ask to see an official academic transcript if you're a boss looking to hire a student with a degree. Then check them for ID/student id to confirm they are using their own certificate

If you just want to stalk, you could google their name and see what it comes up with. Also, find out what theyre doing atm, if they are doing a phd/hons, then they have done a bachelor degree *.

*before someone corrects me, i'd say there is a 99.999% chance this is the case.
Obviously there's no way to really confirm someone's course unless it's in an official capacity, so I really don't think the OP will get any help here for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

rx34

HSC
Edit:
Obviously there's no way to really confirm someone's course unless it's in an official capacity, so I really don't think the OP will get any help here for that.
Hey thanks for the replies! This particular someone is actually from Monash University. I'm not her boss or potential employer so I can't see her transcript. But I just saw her Facebook and she's part of the alumni; therefore i guess she did graduate.

HSC
Hey thanks for the replies! This particular someone is actually from Monash University. I'm not her boss or potential employer so I can't see her transcript. But I just saw her Facebook and she's part of the alumni; therefore i guess she did graduate.
err, anyone could change their fb profile to say they're monash alumni...

(not stating the obvious or anything :p)

rx34

HSC
err, anyone could change their fb profile to say they're monash alumni...

(not stating the obvious or anything :p)
Haha yeah. It's definitely not the most 'intelligent' way to find out whether a person graduated. But I don't really have any other options, apart from paying a hefty sum to a private investigator :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)