How to improve in Maths Ext2 (1 Viewer)

zozoraneem

HSC
Hi,
I an doing maths ext 2, my school finished trials last term and I didnt do so well, even though I knew the concepts and had practised alot of past papers,
It was that too many questions in a short time and too many questions that needed thinking and workout and I started to stress and before I knew it, time was up!

Any advice on how I can prevent that in the HSC and improve my performance? How did the past students in this problem get a band 6?

Thanks

Drsoccerball

HSC
Hi,
I an doing maths ext 2, my school finished trials last term and I didnt do so well, even though I knew the concepts and had practised alot of past papers,
It was that too many questions in a short time and too many questions that needed thinking and workout and I started to stress and before I knew it, time was up!

Any advice on how I can prevent that in the HSC and improve my performance? How did the past students in this problem get a band 6?

Thanks
Integration marathon
4u marathon
Past papers

HSC
Revise the content again. Go through each topic thoroughly and make sure you understand everything fully.

The amount of questions they give you for 3 hours is perfect. It's just that the questions can be done in multiple ways and often there are quick ways.
Make sure you fully understand the topics covered in MX2 because you ultimately want to answer the questions using the quickest method.

I.e (this is a very bad example but you'll understand what I'm getting through)

Sketch a) y = (x+1)^2
b) 1/(x+1)^2

For part b, you're not going to sit down and find max or min points, etc etc. Using a, if you understand the concepts of graphs thoroughly, you'll understand that anywhere the graph cuts in a) will be an asymptote in b) and etc etc and draw it very quickly

MilkDrinker

HSC
Hi,
Do past papers... but be smart about it.
If you know you have a problem with timing, then do the papers in full and in test conditions.
If you think your problem is that you do it in a way that is too long or slow as faisalabdul16 mentioned, then after you finish doing the paper, learn from the answers (notice I said learn not memorise).
Also, don't take the easy way out because that won't help, so when you know that there is something that you don't really understand, then go back and actually get better at it and practice rather than just hope it won't come up in your exam.
Just keep practising on past papers, choose ones that will challenge you rather than the ones you know you will breeze through.

Hope this helps, and good luck :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)