How to improve in Prelim Chemistry/Biology/Physics HELP NEEDED (1 Viewer)

King George

HSC
Hey,

Wondering on how to improve on Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Currently getting around 70s in Prelim and aiming to go over 90s.
Don't know how to really have a structured study plan for the sciences.
How would I structure my science study plan and how much would I do of each subject?

With harder work, I'm sure I could get over 90s in my sciences but I just don't know how to start...

fluffchuck

HSC
Summarise all your learning in those subjects at the end of the week.

If you don't understand something, even really slightly, revise it and do plenty of practise questions.

Make sure you actually know what you're learning and know how to apply it!! Don't just absorb it all in and not know how it works, e.g. you may know the definition of osmosis but not know why a plant dies when you water it with salt water.

Do past papers! These are a great resource which indicate whether you know your content or not. Make sure to mark your work and improve on the questions you got incorrect.

If you follow these steps on a regular basis, I can assure you will be able to get 90+ with minimal study (from all the revision you have done).

Good luck!!! :) :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hand in practice questions for your teachers to mark, so you can learn the "formula/method" of how to answer science questions.

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
Hey,

Wondering on how to improve on Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Currently getting around 70s in Prelim and aiming to go over 90s.
Don't know how to really have a structured study plan for the sciences.
How would I structure my science study plan and how much would I do of each subject?

With harder work, I'm sure I could get over 90s in my sciences but I just don't know how to start...
Don't really have anything specific to say that would help, but from personal experience make sure you understand prelim chemistry, as I didn't and now have to work a lot harder because I slacked and we don't have the most organised class (compared to my phys and bio ones). Bio and phys would be the same really too...bio's kinda just understanding the main concept (eg. osmosis, homeostasis, all that jazz), and then applying them to various situations and tweaking them a bit to get the smaller concepts. And it's a lot of just remembering/rote learning...lotsa detail :D:bomb:
You'll get good at writing scientific essays, which will help a bit...but revise, apply everything (eg. I do that subconsciously now (and annoy the heck out of my fam/friends haha). See a plant growing (basic example), run through what is happening (water, photosynthesis, enzymes, nutrients etc.), forces with moving objects like cars, waterways and what's going on there. There's a lot of application with what your learning, and makes it, I think, more interesting too. But practice papers will help, extra lessons in yr12 if your teacher offers them, watching videos, listening to podcasts, whatever helps you understand and remember. It'll be slightly different for everyone.

Hope that helps, and the best of luck for yr11 and yr12 =)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Don't really have anything specific to say that would help, but from personal experience make sure you understand prelim chemistry, as I didn't and now have to work a lot harder because I slacked and we don't have the most organised class (compared to my phys and bio ones). Bio and phys would be the same really too...bio's kinda just understanding the main concept (eg. osmosis, homeostasis, all that jazz), and then applying them to various situations and tweaking them a bit to get the smaller concepts. And it's a lot of just remembering/rote learning...lotsa detail :D:bomb:
You'll get good at writing scientific essays, which will help a bit...but revise, apply everything (eg. I do that subconsciously now (and annoy the heck out of my fam/friends haha). See a plant growing (basic example), run through what is happening (water, photosynthesis, enzymes, nutrients etc.), forces with moving objects like cars, waterways and what's going on there. There's a lot of application with what your learning, and makes it, I think, more interesting too. But practice papers will help, extra lessons in yr12 if your teacher offers them, watching videos, listening to podcasts, whatever helps you understand and remember. It'll be slightly different for everyone.

Hope that helps, and the best of luck for yr11 and yr12 =)
LITERALLY ME
I go on the train and as its accelerating I think about the inertia felt upon me and relative velocities of objects outside lmao...

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Feel free to check our my study guide-there are specific sections on how to excel in science subjects that may be of assistance to you-http://community.boredofstudies.org/128/preliminary-hsc/317056/how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-99-atar-graduate.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)