How to increase my chances of a scholarship (1 Viewer)

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Hey, I know to receive a scholarship requires academic performance alongside extra curricular. How can I go about the latter? I have no involvement with my current school (which I tremendously regret) and have tried searching online extensively for volunteer programs and other opportunities, though to no availability. I live in a rural area so...
Is there no hope now with only a year left?

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Why are you regretting..get started now! Join SRC,debate club,chess,Peer support etc..whatever is on the table,although starting now doesn't set a very good track record it might be just enough to get your foot in the door for interviews for the scholarship (depends what scholarship you're after and whether they look more in terms of academics or extra-curricular). Don't just look online, look around your local community, there might be a shop that you always visit which helps distribute food-ask them if you can help! Things like that..festivals,non-profit organisations,etc..

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Thank you for your input. I will definitely try to get some involvement with my school and look around the local community for opportunities :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
What extra curricular activities does your school have? Join the sports team or something, or even better, start your own club!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I know to receive a scholarship requires academic performance alongside extra curricular. How can I go about the latter? I have no involvement with my current school (which I tremendously regret) and have tried searching online extensively for volunteer programs and other opportunities, though to no availability. I live in a rural area so...
Is there no hope now with only a year left?
Living in a rural area is not an excuse, I lived in a rural area myself for ages and you can still find things. Plus doing ECs in Yr 12 even with a lack before is impressive as it shows time management, so many people cut everyone off in yr 12.

To help suggest ECs that are feasible for you, can you tell us some of your interests? It's best to do things not just as a CV filler, but because you derive tangible enjoyment out of it as well!

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Living in a rural area is not an excuse, I lived in a rural area myself for ages and you can still find things. Plus doing ECs in Yr 12 even with a lack before is impressive as it shows time management, so many people cut everyone off in yr 12.

To help suggest ECs that are feasible for you, can you tell us some of your interests? It's best to do things not just as a CV filler, but because you derive tangible enjoyment out of it as well!
Yes you're right there is no excuse :) Uhm... I enjoy engineering (in particularly computer), music (self taught guitarist - i play a unique style called hand tapping) and sports such as basketball. The thing is I do them majorly as a hobby (music, sports) and I don't know if they can be considered as "extra curriculars"? Though I am sure I will make the school basketball team next year so that's one thing so far :) I may also have secured a position in a computer store if that counts as anything? I'm unsure what extra curriculars really are sorry.

Last edited:

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yes you're right there is no excuse :) Uhm... I enjoy engineering (in particularly computer), music (self taught guitarist - i play a unique style called hand tapping) and sports such as basketball. The thing is I do them majorly as a hobby (music, sports) and I don't know if they can be considered as "extra curriculars"? Though I am sure I will make the school basketball team next year so that's one thing so far :) I may also have secured a position in a computer store if that counts as anything? I'm unsure what extra curriculars really are sorry.
I volunteer at my old primary school as a guitar teacher. It only takes half an hour a week and it's really easy to do. Just run through basic chords/tablature and you're fine. Doing thing like the red shield appeal or the recent heart foundation door knock are also really easy as you don't have to make any weekly commitment while you do your HSC. It only take a couple of hours once a year, you get a certificate and you can write it down as a charitable affiliation.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
I volunteer at my old primary school as a guitar teacher. It only takes half an hour a week and it's really easy to do. Just run through basic chords/tablature and you're fine. Doing thing like the red shield appeal or the recent heart foundation door knock are also really easy as you don't have to make any weekly commitment while you do your HSC. It only take a couple of hours once a year, you get a certificate and you can write it down as a charitable affiliation.
Oh wow how did you manage to volunteer for that? Were they asking for people or something because that sounds like such an odd, random task :p And yeah definitely not passing up any opportunities next year :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Oh wow how did you manage to volunteer for that? Were they asking for people or something because that sounds like such an odd, random task :p And yeah definitely not passing up any opportunities next year :)
There were absolutely no music opportunities for me when I went there; like you I taught myself. But I know a couple of years earlier there had been a girl who came in after school and taught piano, so when I left I thought I'd offer the same opportunity with guitar. I just talked to a teacher there and they were happy to have me so I started doing it. Put a sign up in anywhere saying 'free guitar lessons' and you could hold it at a community centre or something, maybe charge $2 to cover rental costs, and you'd have loads of takers. Guitar lessons are normally quite expensive. I guess I'm pretty bad, I do whatever looks good without taking too much time. That's why door knocks are so good. I also volunteer at a nursing home talking with one of the elderly women living there, but only because French is her dominant language so I practice mine with her. I also had an embarrassingly lengthy stint with my school's science club. There are certain yearbook group photos of that which I would kinda like to burn.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)