How to maximise your maths examination marks: Tips from the HSC Examiners (1 Viewer)

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Ok so this was given to me by my maths teacher who's an HSC marker and always sharing stories of when she has been marking. Thought it might help some people
The following information has been compiled to assist with preparation for the HSC examinations for all the mathematics courses, These suggestions come from experiences HSC markers

1. Show ALL working out; even simple things like y=180+50=230. If you did something in your head or by calculator WRITE IT DOWN! If your final answer is incorrect, the marker will search for evidence of the process you used. The markers are encouraged to reward students.

A bald answer is one given without working. An incorrect bald answer will always score 0. Usually a correct bald answer will score full marks, but sometimes it won't, especially if the question is worth more than 1 mark.

Do your working DOWN the page, in one column, leaving room down the right hand side for the marker. Leave a few lines between each solution.

2. Don't use liquid paper. It is a waste of time and you might cover up a correct answer. Some students who use liquid paper forget to write down the correct answer down when the liquid paper dries. If you have 2 different ways to answer a question, write them both, then choose the one you like the best and put a single line or cross through the other. Sometimes marks are awarded for responses that have been crossed out. Sometimes full marks are awarded for incorrect answers if the working clearly shows that the correct process was used.

3. Watch out for numerical and algebraic errors. These can be expensive. When you solve an equation or inequality, check your solution(s) by substituting your solution(s) into the ORIGINAL equation.

4. Watch out for double-bungers: A single question that asks you to do 2 things. Also, check what the question says about rounding your answer. Read the question, write the important information on your answer sheet, do the question, then read the question again to see if your answer is reasonable. Write a short statement at the end of your working so your answer is obvious to the marker.

5. Look at the number of marks available. Most maths questions are only worth 1,2 or 3 marks and should not require more than a page of working. Some students in the 2002 HSC wrote pages of working for working for a 2 mark question. THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE!

6.Don't forget to bring the correct equipment, including a decent 30cm ruler. When you draw a graph, use a rules for the axes and choose a sensible scale for each axis. You don't need the same scale on both axes. Try to make graphs and diagrams one-third to half a page in size. As you move through the question, keep adding information to the diagram. A PICTURE PAINTS A THOUSAND WORDS. Use pencil for diagrams and graphs so you can easily change them, but use pen for everything else. If your answer to a question comes from a graph, write "from the graph" after your answer and clearly indicate the point you used on the graph. This way you will get the marks even if your graphs is incorrect.

7. In recent years there has been a dramatic increase in the number of questions asking students to EXPLAIN, JUSTIFY OR COMPARE AND CONTRAST. In most cases these are looking for a paragraph or two. A good response might include words, diagrams, graphs, tables and mathematical symbols. Your target audience: Imaging you are trying to explain something in a letter to somebody who knows a bit less about the topic than you do. If its worth 3 marks, try to make at least 3 important points.

8. You will often be asked to round off an answer. If you need that answer for the next question, DON'T use the rounded answer. Learn how to use the memory of your calculator or the ANS button so that you can use the exact answer in the following calculations.

9. If your answer is a long decimal, write it down, THEN round off:
AB=3.4512......
AB= 3.45km (to 2 decimal places)
Questions involving money should be rounded to 2 decimal places (ie nearest cent), NOT nearest 5 or 10 cents or dollar. Number of people or koalas should be nearest whole number.

10. Label all your solutions carefully: Eg 3(b)(iv)

11. Write clearly using blue or black pen. Don't write on the back of the pages

12. Quite often you need the answer for part (i) to do part (ii). If you can't do (i), invent a reasonable answer for (i) and use that in (ii). You will get no marks for (i) but you will probably get FULL marks for (ii) if you show all working, even thought your answer will be incorrect.

13. Use SOH CAH TOA and Pythagoras in right-angled triangles. Use sine rule and cosine rule in non right-angled triangles.

For Maths (2 unit), Ext1 and Ext2 Students
14. Be sure about when to use DEG and when to use RAD and check that your calculator is in the correct mode before you press the buttons.

15. There is a list of Standard Integrals attached to your question booklet. Make yourself familiar with the list and remember to use it. Some students detach it and put it in the corner of their desk. There are some integrals towards the bottom of the list that are not actually part of the 2 Unit course, but occasionally you will find a question that asks you to use one (see 2 unit HSC 1997, Question 1(e))

16. A collection of common errors and misconceptions:
(i) is equal to not

(ii) is equal to and is equal to but is not equal to

(iii) is not equal to

is not equal to

(iv) is not equal to , which really means nothing if it is not followed by a number or letter

is not equal to

(v) can be changed to but you can't get rid of completely.

Likewise, is not

(vi) the equation has 3 solutions:

the equation only has 2 solutions:

(vii) is not equal to

(viii) is equal to , not

(ix) is equal to , not

(x) is equal to , not

(xi) is equal to or , not

(xii) is equal to or , not or

(xiii) IS equal to but is NOT equal to (note that is e to the power of x to the power of 3)
All Done :) there may be the odd typo, I'll go over in the morning

Last edited:

toodaloo

HSC
(Y) you legend.
i have ext1 and ext 2 exams for school coming up, so this was REALLY helpful (not that i didnt know most of them already, just reminded me of other ones)
please continue with the rest (Y)

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Big one for me:

Whilst (x+3)/x = 1 + 3/x, x/(x+3) =/= 1 + x/3. This sort of rushed error has cost me many marks in exams.

shaon0

HSC
Always write your working down. In last year's 4u HSC exam, i only gave the answer using auxillary method for a 4marker but didn't write out the auxillary form ie. sqrt(...) is max value thus, something happens. opposed to full working.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
For 16 ii)
is equal to
and
is equal to

You should really qualify that OR write that

Last edited:
HSC
also integral of 1/x is ln|x| :) should maybe add that - this throws off even 4 unit students sometimes

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
also integral of 1/x is ln|x| :) should maybe add that - this throws off even 4 unit students sometimes
Well when we write ln[f(x)] we assume that the domain of the function is f(x)>0. To emphaise this domain you can use absolute values. But it's not really necessary.

stephoe

HSC
haha pretty sure after reading this, I'd probably make the same mistakes again.. but those tips do really help those who are struggling to get their marks :)

HSC
Btw...

I was just wondering about the humans/animals.

If I do a P=P0e^kt question and I end up with 23234.65 HUMANS...I know it says nearest whole...But...this is a bit retarded but you can't really have 0.65 humans. So if I say on my answer page: 23234 humans (You can't have 0.65 of a human!) will that be ok? lols

lydia1992

scientificfield
HSC
Uni Grad
>SHOW substitutions and working out clearly—marks are allocated for the PROCESS and the answer, not just the answer.

>Watch the number of MARKS allocated to each part of the question — don’t write 1/2 a page of explanation for 1 mark!

>Take CARE—make sure you recall the FORMULA correctly — marks lost from careless errors are as ‘expensive’ as marks lost by not doing the more difficult questions.

>When PROVING or SHOWING a given result, check that your answer is the SAME as the result given in the paper!

>CORRECT answers from INCORRECT working are not awarded marks - if you have made a mistake, fix the error in EVERY line of working - don’t fudge!

Practise your maths

Rewrite your maths

Attack your maths

Test your maths
Just Do It !

these are the examiners tips which I'm sick of -.-

Meshy590

HSC
Btw...

If I do a P=P0e^kt question and I end up with 23234.65 HUMANS...I know it says nearest whole...But...this is a bit retarded but you can't really have 0.65 humans. So if I say on my answer page: 23234 humans (You can't have 0.65 of a human!) will that be ok? lols

I think you are right. In a situation like that, you take the number of COMPLETE humans, koalas,

Or if there's a question where it says "How much time is needed for..." and you get 13.35 seconds, you use the number of COMPLETE seconds. i.e. 14

Sanjeet

HSC
Btw...

Correct.

deswa1

HSC
I think you are right. In a situation like that, you take the number of COMPLETE humans, koalas,

Or if there's a question where it says "How much time is needed for..." and you get 13.35 seconds, you use the number of COMPLETE seconds. i.e. 14
The first is correct. The second isn't. Generally, you can give time very accurately because things like half seconds etc. do exist but half humans do not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)