How to quote long quotes in essay? (1 Viewer)

mjnkm

HSC
If I want to quote a long quote for a comparative English essay, how do I do it?
Do I just add "..." between the beginning and end phrases?

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hmmm In my opinion what you are saying is correct, but make sure to add the significant portions you want to prove for in the quote in relation to the entirety of the essay. :)

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
If I want to quote a long quote for a comparative English essay, how do I do it?
Do I just add "..." between the beginning and end phrases?
You can do this but don't do it too often in the one quote, otherwise you may find yourself twisting the quote into something you can work with better, and it can give the teacher the impression that you haven't analysed your text well since it looks like you're making the quotes into your own version, so as to make your argument stronger (I guess this could work with teachers unfamiliar with the texts in your essay, but get used to it since HSC markers will be familiar with the texts in the essays they mark)

I have heard cases where friends of mine have experienced this - if you want to avoid this sort of a risk then leave these long quotes as a last resort

mjnkm

HSC
Hmmm In my opinion what you are saying is correct, but make sure to add the significant portions you want to prove for in the quote in relation to the entirety of the essay. :)
Okay! Thanks so much!

mjnkm

HSC
You can do this but don't do it too often in the one quote, otherwise you may find yourself twisting the quote into something you can work with better, and it can give the teacher the impression that you haven't analysed your text well since it looks like you're making the quotes into your own version, so as to make your argument stronger (I guess this could work with teachers unfamiliar with the texts in your essay, but get used to it since HSC markers will be familiar with the texts in the essays they mark)

I have heard cases where friends of mine have experienced this - if you want to avoid this sort of a risk then leave these long quotes as a last resort
Yep, I'll try not to use it too often. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)