How to study chemistry and physics (1 Viewer)

dk786

HSC
How should I study and revise chemistry and physics.

I thought about making notes, but I’ve heard that that’s an inefficient way to study. I could also just download notes online that are good enough. Now I’m not sure how to study new content I learn.

I am also not sure how often I should be revising, and how do I revise (read notes, or practice questions, or a combination of both).

I always feel like I’m trying to do too much, and in turn end up doing nothing.

thanks everyone

carrotsss

HSC
I’d recommend just taking your notes in class to make sure you soak up the information, but imo for more understanding-based subjects like physics and chem taking additional notes at home isn’t very helpful.

Past paper questions are imo the best way to revise physics/chemistry. However, you have to make sure you use them effectively, and make sure that when you go through and mark, you are 100% certain that if you did every individual question again, you would get full marks.

This can improve results dramatically because in the process you’re thoroughly covering each syllabus dot point in the way it actually gets tested.

But whatever you do, don’t just study by reading notes, it is proven to be one of the most inefficient study methods

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC

I thought about making notes, but I’ve heard that that’s an inefficient way to study. I could also just download notes online that are good enough. Now I’m not sure how to study new content I learn.

I am also not sure how often I should be revising, and how do I revise (read notes, or practice questions, or a combination of both).

thanks everyone
active recall-

gazzaboy

HSC
The learning pyramid is a good way to think about what techniques are effective. Reading notes is definitely one of the least effective methods of studying because you don't retain a lot of it (and it makes you feel like you've done a lot). My two favourite ways to revise is:
  • Teaching is the best way to learn. One technique I used to understand and revise my content was the Feynman technique. The idea is to explain the concept to a 12 year old (you don't have to explain it to a real 12 year old, you can teach a friend, the dog, a toy or the mirror). Explaining it to a 12 year old forces you to remove the jargon and forces deep understanding. If you can't explain something, then it forces you to figure out where your gap in understanding is. It's even better if you're teaching a friend, and they have questions and you can answer them.
  • Doing practice questions in timed exam conditions. This is extremely effective because you're practicing the exact thing you will be doing. You're forcing yourself to apply the concept to a situation you haven't seen before. Doing questions in timed conditions is also more time-efficient because you're less likely to procrastinate or be distracted.
Making notes isn't entirely unhelpful - it is still fairly high on the learning pyramid because you're still forced to put things into your own words and create your own structure. I personally did write notes for chemistry, because the specific dot point structure of the subject meant that the subject felt more like 'ticking off a checkboxes'. I didn't write notes for any other subjects (I did English, Mathematics Ext 2 and Economics). However, it does take a lot of time and if I had limited time, I would choose to do the two things above over writing notes.

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC

thanks everyone
Organic chemistry tutor on youtube is the goat.
I also grinded Atomi (my school got a subscription for it its kinda like edrolo but better)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)