How to write a band5-6 HSC essay? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I never know how to write a good essay. I like to stick with a structure (usually the syllbus) and then just write like that. maybe then add a few stats here and there.

is that ok? would the teacher mark u down?

and also. my friend said if u want to get full marks in ur short answer questions, u have to at least do what they ask for and one extra. like they ask for 3 advs. u give them 4..?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I can agree with you on the short answers- get to the point! ...Beware of what they ask for. Read over that page at the start of every text book that defines "analyse, define, outline, justify, explain, ....."

Add lots of stats to prove what you're saying and answer the question and add some judgement to it and justify it.

Criddle

HSC
With eco essays, the structure doesn't really matter, because it's not english and they're not assessing your ability to write an essay, you can write the whole thing in point form and still get band 6; what matters is the content. You prolly know all of this, but yeh, just in case... and you can chuck in diagrams wherever the hell you like, like a business cycle diagram for fiscal or monetary policy and demand and supply curves for monetary too. The most important thing is that it has all the relevant bits and pieces, your facts are correct and that it makes sense. Following the syllabus is an awesome idea, cos it'll help you organise it all and not miss chunks, sounds like you have an awesome plan :)

As for your query about the short answers, your friend is talking out their arse, all that is expected of you is to answer the question...they aren't going to ask a specific question and expect you to do something else, that's just stupid, but if you're not sure of an answer, then yeh knock yourself out, put other stuff down as well. They won't mark you down for putting more stuff than they ask for.

Good Luck :) :)

HSC
hey thanks all. I just need make sure. I'm not up to studying essays yet.

hell i am still re-summarising topic 1. haha. I'm so screwed. and then i'll check the essays...

but still these are good advises. thanku all.

TABismyfuture

HSC
Just stuff anything relevant into the extended response, and the teacher will 99% like it!

That's wat i do!

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
i drawa mind map before i write

then i just tick off the list

and intergrate everything at end of each paragraph

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
if it aint too strangely wrong
dw

honestly, they dont really care

HAHA speak from experience

jamesmarty

HSC
Criddle said:
With eco essays, the structure doesn't really matter, because it's not english and they're not assessing your ability to write an essay, you can write the whole thing in point form and still get band 6; what matters is the content. You prolly know all of this, but yeh, just in case... and you can chuck in diagrams wherever the hell you like, like a business cycle diagram for fiscal or monetary policy and demand and supply curves for monetary too. The most important thing is that it has all the relevant bits and pieces, your facts are correct and that it makes sense. Following the syllabus is an awesome idea, cos it'll help you organise it all and not miss chunks, sounds like you have an awesome plan :)

As for your query about the short answers, your friend is talking out their arse, all that is expected of you is to answer the question...they aren't going to ask a specific question and expect you to do something else, that's just stupid, but if you're not sure of an answer, then yeh knock yourself out, put other stuff down as well. They won't mark you down for putting more stuff than they ask for.

Good Luck :) :)
This sounds like it's on the right path. Economic essays are definately not like english essays. You want to write an english essay you may as well slap a 0 on ure page (maybe not that extreme but you get the gist).

My teacher taught us an extremely simple and easy plan.

*Never make a statement without an explanation.

Paragraph Format:

---------------------------Statement (1 sentence)
---------------------------Explanation
---------------------------Example
---------------------------Diagram

* Within each paragraph add relevant facts and figures

* Each paragraph only talks about one idea. New paragraph = new topic (inflation, Micro/macro, Unemployment etc etc etc)

* This seems obvious but MAKE SURE YOU DO WHAT THE QUESTION ASKS! So many people dont!

*Diagrams MUST have a commentary explaining what it is illustrating. Without a commentary it is pretty much useless. (to an extent)

From what i have seen and have been told (feel free to correct me) I have never seen a band six essay without diagrams. Diagrams are a MUST for the top marks in an essay.

As you can see that plan is sooo simple it seems wrong but if you stick to that small guide you should be covering everything you need to answer the question AND cement your ideas with examples and diagrams.

Learn as much jargon as you can because this will really tip the scale in your favour from a beginner student to a pro! =)

have fun

You guys rock!:)

Last edited:

Rebecca1234

HSC
i not long ago had this problem for my year 11 yearly, although i read through the text books to see the termonolgy and how they tend to explain things, so basically i got the structure the text books uses and i topped the class and the teacher even commented and said i have achieved greatly with my essay writing, i dont know if it will help u guys! Jus thought i would tell yas!! Ciao

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Alot of people do not know this when studying Economics. But with Statistics you do NOT need to memorise the exact number. All you need to know are the units + maybe range.

i.e. If you were referring to the CAD, you would use $ + Range.

For those like me, who have bad memory/hate memorising extra things, when it comes to Short Answers/Exams just make up the statistics.

Frankly, the markers do not have time to look up the past 10 years of Australian Eco Statistics.

TYCOT

Imperium
HSC
first up, for short answers you dont need to give 'one extra'. just get to the point whilst being concise and accurate.

band five - six essays.

-in general be clear
-include definitions
-the theory must be concise
-include statistics indicating practical economics
-always be sure you are answering the question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)