How to write a poem on the Victorian Era? =P (1 Viewer)

StaceyK293920

HSC
Well for a fun task, my class and I have to make and present a poem to the class. Would anyone have any ideas on how to write a poem on the Victorian Era? E.g. the problems that arose during the era with the female point of view or the male point of view? e.g. Females were considered weak and inferior back then in comparison to males and were expected to live domestically, whilst male wanted beautiful looking women and were selfish etc etc..... You get the jiff? lol. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: Anyone spare a poem or how to make one? =P

StaceyK293920 said:
Well for a fun task, my class and I have to make and present a poem to the class. Would anyone happen to have any poems they wrote themselves on the Victorian Era or how to actually write one? E.g. the problems that arose during the era with the female point of view or the male point of view? e.g. Females were considered weak and inferior back then in comparison to males and were expected to live domestically, whilst male wanted beautiful looking women and were selfish etc etc..... You get the jiff? lol. Thanks.
Observing the context of 19th Century Victorian England, we can see the unbalanced societal values and expectations placed on both men and women. The society at the the time was predominately patriarchal and male dominated. Females were considered overly dramatic, emotional and weak. Thus, they were seen as unable to display rational thought and make critical decisions and were treated as child-like people of society who had limited self independence. The society was very much paternalistic and males basically made all the decisions (women were not allowed to hold money without their father's/husband's permission etc.). Essentially, the role of women in Victorian England was very domesticated. Women basically had two overriding functions in life; give birth, and stay home looking after the place. It's been said many times, that the expectation of the society was that women should not be seen nor heard. The society used many justifications for the way it functioned. It used religious influences (The Bible - Eve - Original sin - Women untrustworthy) as well as scientific reasoning (Gene makeup, Social Darwinism etc.)

Now for your poem. I would suggest you compose a feminist poem for this case because there really is more emotional value. Your poem could perhaps describe the feelings of some suppressed woman who is frustrated with the burdens placed upon her by the society and is wishing to break free of those foundational frameworks by which her society is run. You could portray your narrator as someone who is challenging the values of her society; a powerful woman who thinks for herself and does not let the paternalistic thoughts of society impede her personal advancements; someone who thinks for themselves and is not intimidated nor easily controlled by others.

I hope my random ramblings helped you somewhat, and also in future don't just ask for people to do your work for you. How do you expect to learn?

bored of sc

HSC

On the contrary to Aplus' idea you could do a male perspective - have a man explaining the wonders and positives of his life while at the same time highlighting the strongly unjust treatment of women (what I mean is make it so the abuse of women's rights is a normality for the man (as it would be)).

Aplus

HSC
N/A

The man would not identify it as unjust abuse though. He would consider it as natural a function of society as such a trivial action as breathing itself.

bored of sc

HSC

Aplus said:
The man would not identify it as unjust abuse though. He would consider it as natural a function of society as such a trivial action as breathing itself.
That's what I meant --> by explaining the woman's role in society it is apparent in our context that it is abuse. The thing that makes it more shocking is that the man doesn't know any better.

Sorry about the ambiguity of my post.

selablad

HSC

bored of sc said:
That's what I meant --> by explaining the woman's role in society it is apparent in our context that it is abuse. The thing that makes it more shocking is that the man doesn't know any better.

That sounds like an awesome idea :D I did that for an assessment last year I think, only it wasn't women, it was slaves, but still. It was cool, and fun to write...

Aplus

HSC
N/A

bored of sc said:

Nice idea :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)