How u uni ppl take notes while the letucer talks? (1 Viewer)

69^boi

HSC
N/A
Hi im a new yr12(o5)

i have started tried to take notes while the teacher is talking buts it not dat good!!! arrrggh

i found that takin from teachers talkin is good becoz:
*its their own translation of the info which is easier to understand
* you might not get this info from anywhere else
*gives their own examples
*gives u hint of wots gonna be in exam

but i cant take down everthing the teachers say, i dont try to take down word to word
, but i dont noe when to take notes n which is important and which is not important to take...

i research it on net n one tip is to use symbols n short abb like &-and @-at arrow up-increase etc...but it still didnt help!!! arrrgh

i juz wanna know how to take good notes now n in uni i assume that it is mostly based on lecuturer juz talking!!

how do u take notes??? please help..

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ah, we take down notes, not entire transcripts...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Learn to ignore the less relevant material. With experience you'll know what you need to remember (or may have trouble with later on) and what can safely be forgotten. For example, if you hear something that makes you understand something else, write both down. Then if you forget later, or it confuses you again, you can look through your notes and see the prompt.

Of course, many of us start with "lecture outlines" to write on, with the core material already printed.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
don't worry it depends on what classes you take

for most, there will be overheads which you can copy down, if lecturer is nice enough they will put the overheads up online piror to the class for you print out and write notes next to it

yes you will have to write down information which are spoken by the lecturer but you will just take out the important info and filter out the crap somethings they like to talk about

what you can start doing is not type like an idiot:
ie: use just instead of juz
you -> u
what - > wot

69^boi

HSC
N/A
ok thanks i'll stop typing like an idiot
i know that i dont need to do that for every class
i have 2 teachers who have to 10 yrs experience so their information is good
and 1 or 2 teachers who just have 2 years experience and pretty much read from text books

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
69^boi said:
Hi im a new yr12(o5)

i have started tried to take notes while the teacher is talking buts it not dat good!!! arrrggh

i found that takin from teachers talkin is good becoz:
*its their own translation of the info which is easier to understand
* you might not get this info from anywhere else
*gives their own examples
*gives u hint of wots gonna be in exam

but i cant take down everthing the teachers say, i dont try to take down word to word
, but i dont noe when to take notes n which is important and which is not important to take...

i research it on net n one tip is to use symbols n short abb like &-and @-at arrow up-increase etc...but it still didnt help!!! arrrgh

i juz wanna know how to take good notes now n in uni i assume that it is mostly based on lecuturer juz talking!!

how do u take notes??? please help..
yes the reasons you have mentioned are the reason why it's great to take notes

but we do start with notes already, which a lot of highschool students aren't aware of. generally they make the lecture slides available to us, so we just have to write the extra stuff.

note: you are spoon fed in uni more than at school

69^boi

HSC
N/A
Really?? didnt know that i thought it MOSTLY based on leturer talking as i previously said....by the way can you ask for help later or he/she doesnt care because there is like 400+ students?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I don't write down anything the Lecturer says, I don't even print off the notes:p. You will find what works best for you. I get more out of Lectures just listening to what the Lecturer has to say than writing everything down. I find that if you just sit there writing everything down you don't learn anything:).

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
eh spoon fed in uni?!
not for me

i guess that would depend on what you are doing, for my courses none of them are spoon-feeding

lecturers always stay behind for a minute or two to answer questions at the end, there will always be someone asking a question
lol, sometimes you see them rushing for the door at the end, leaving before the students do

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
69^boi said:
Really?? didnt know that i thought it MOSTLY based on leturer talking as i previously said....by the way can you ask for help later or he/she doesnt care because there is like 400+ students?
Yes, you can ask the lecturer for help after the Lecture, but most questions are reserved for the Tutorials:).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
SHIT!!!!

my uni the notes arent printed for certain subjects.. its lik roulette..

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Merethrond said:
I don't write down anything the Lecturer says, I don't even print off the notes:p. You will find what works best for you. I get more out of Lectures just listening to what the Lecturer has to say than writing everything down. I find that if you just sit there writing everything down you don't learn anything:).
i agree. listen first, then print the notes off l8r....or get them off friends....and maybe have a piece of paper handy to write down important pts stressed by the lecturer....

if u really like the lecturer's voice, then u can always record the lectures...using an mp3 player of course! but i personally cant stand any of my lecturer's voices :p

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
dpends on what subjects it is,
e.g. for me at UNSW,
maths... copy down all the bloody overheads
accounting...fill in gaps once in a while
actuarial...just listen
discrete... zombie state/sleep/play cards/doodle/catch up on other subjects

69^boi

HSC
N/A
redslert said:
eh spoon fed in uni?!
not for me

i guess that would depend on what you are doing, for my courses none of them are spoon-feeding

lecturers always stay behind for a minute or two to answer questions at the end, there will always be someone asking a question
lol, sometimes you see them rushing for the door at the end, leaving before the students do
lol serious like they cant take the students asking so much quesitions lol

Lundy

Banned
HSC
As time goes by you learn to know what's worth taking note of and what isn't.

Some evil bitch-type lecturers (coughmediacough) will purposely not put their notes online to force people to go to lectures.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
i aslo heard some smart people bring in their laptops n type the notes rather than
writing by hand

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Gr...those people annoy me. What's wrong with a freakin' pen? The noise of the keys clicking away can get really irritating.

santaslayer

HSC
I seldom take notes and when I do, it's usually because I haven't read or heard about the concept before. If I know it's in the textbook I won't bother at all.

eg.

''Interest rates are used to slow the economy down''- i wont be putting that down because its in the text, what i would put down would be something like:

;'' quaterly interest rates=3.75%''

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)