How useful is an economics major (1 Viewer)

smileplease

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Guys!

Apologies if there has already been a thread like this (If so, could you please link me? I haven't found it as of yet).

I'm taking an accounting major as part of my business degree and was thinking of taking an economics major as my 2nd. But how useful would this really be?

Considering that jobs in this field usually take people doing an economics degree or people doing honours in eco (e.g. the RBA), what do the career prospects look like for a person that is just doing economics as a major? Or as a sub-major? (thinking about going on exchange)

Any insight and feedback would be really appreciated!
Thanks guys! :D

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
The major in itself isn't going to land you a job straight out. However, it is very much an "everything" of how businesses work within and with other businesses. I would say it was helpful for analysis and interpretation of numbers that Finance will not enable you to do. Not sure how it will compare with an accounting major though

kingofgames

HSC
N/A
Economics is the study of decision making, the value of an Economist or Economics Major is dependent upon the opportunities they undertake, leverage they can muster and what they can do with it. It is really an arts major and that's a good way to think about it. Think of the art of writing, there are writing majors who you have never heard of and there are great writers who never went to university (Mark Twain, Truman Capote and Maya Angelou).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)