How was the test (1 Viewer)

sambo135

HSC
okies after doing the test just then, i found the test really hard >.< the multi choice was hard and towards the end, especially the math was hard, anyone else? some feed back and discussion of question would be nice

mattmcg

HSC
well i ussually don't do all that well in engineering exams.. 49% in trials.. but i didn't have a calc and i spent too long on the trig questions..

but i actually studied for the last 3 days so i found the test very easy compared to anything i've sat for the course

only one maths question i was doubtful.. the winch one with 900N in A.. find B.. i did trig and then moments.. but i decided trig was right.. so i got sumin around 1200? well it was over 1000

but that was seriously fukin easy!!

Ænimus Prime

HSC
I think I got most of the mechanics out, but I had a stab in the dark on that helipoter one.

The drawings were really good I thought

The multi choice was hard - lots of mechanics questions

WTF was with those batteries? I think I got it but it took some thinking
Some of the short answer questions I had no idea what they were actually asking for.

Edit: I got 96 for my assessment mark, I hope I'm close to that in the test!

Matt, I got 1260N, compression, 55 degrees by a method of joints (graphical solution) but thats the internal force in B, not the reaction.

Last edited:

stpjono

HSC
lots of aluminium....

the helo mechanics was ghey, rest of the mech was alright.

mulit choice was hard.

scope of the profession was easy enough.

hardest test over the past few years in my opinion really.. but it was still alright

sambo135

HSC
wat did you guys put down for the cable type with the table with frequency and distance.... i never learnt that in class, o and some multi choice questions, wat the one in the bottle? the pressure at different heights

HSC
i thought it was hard in comparison to previous yrs, but still not that hard. I thought most of the mechanics were ok. I actually thought the drawings were kinda hard, but i hate drawings.

RavenWing278

HSC
i totally screwed up in the multipule choice......3/10 if im lucky...i cant believe how i got those questions wrong!!! i felt like crying afterwards...sections 2 and three were not as hard by comparison i reckon but..if im lucky i'll get low band 5....if im lucky...im going to pray to god i get low band 5 for that exam....

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
FuelPumpingEngn said:
i thought it was hard in comparison to previous yrs, but still not that hard. I thought most of the mechanics were ok. I actually thought the drawings were kinda hard, but i hate drawings.

drawings were pretty easy compared to other years...mechanics ok i got
1260N too (somewhere near there yep angle 55)

- what was your 5 cateria in engineering report?

- What process did u do for bolt head? forge?

overall: it was pretty hard

HSC
2syllables said:
oh yea what u get for that car question distance it travel when engine is off?
I struggled with that question, the only one i found harrd but. I said forged for the bolt head!

vipz99

HSC
Overall the test was what i expected. Not that dissimilar from previous years.

Multiple choice wasnt too bad, the same concepts just put in slightly different questions to trick us. 8/10 i think.

Section 2
Drawings were good. I did well at the fully sectioned orthogonal, but my pictorial looked retarded, o well.
Short answer questions were good and wernt too specific. The questions on demodulation of AM hard, wasnt 100% sure on the graph of the demodulated signal.
Mechanics had a mixture, a little unsure on my answers to the Power questions and how far up the ramp it would go.. i think i put 28.5m up the ramp. but i got like 1800KN or smthing retarded for the question b4 that.
For the question regarding the winch i got 1200N Compression acting at 45degree from the horizontal.
Battery question was hard.. i just did 4x6V= 24V lol dont think its correct tho.

Section 3
For the criteria i had cost, availability, environmental, suitablity- wheather they could supply power when needed, and maintenance.

Overall good test.

Shakugan

HSC
I didn't do so well in the multiple choice, which put me in a bad mood that affected how I went in the rest of the paper. Ultimately, I don't think I did very well.

What did everyone have for the multiple choice questions?

I wasn't sure about the pressure questions, the arch bridge reaction question, the ceramic insulator question, the shear question.

In short, I wasn't sure about much at all.

Ænimus Prime

HSC
I just did a sine wave for the signal

I got 18KN resistant force (P=W/T, W=FxD)
I got 28.1m up the slope (from KE=1/2 x mv^2, equated to PE=mgh to find the height, then trig to find the distance)

The battery was 2 sets of 2 batteries in series, and the sets connected in parallel. So I think it's 12V

My Criteria were Cost, Weight, Environment, Reliability (mainetenance), availability of power (ie, solar doesn't work in the dark)

Arch bridge I guessed 50 degrees.
Ceramic insulator was for compression
Shear was 20KN?

Nosviper

HSC
Multiple Choice

1) A [100% right]
2) A (my intial thought was hydrostatic pressure equal in all directions, but it may be c as pressure varies with height)
3) C [wild guess but figured it out when i left and answer is definatatly B]
4) B
5) B [100%]
6) A [100%]
7) D [100%]
8) A [i got it somehow not sure]
9) B [100% since any line that is perpendicular or parallel to the page is true length]
10) D [my mate said he got it lucky guess since my original answer was C but i thought it was too easy for quesiton 10.

Im hoping for 7 or 8 / 10 for multiple choice.
* For the test I didnt get the distance up the slope question calc
* For the graphical calculation near the end I think i got 1400N at 55 degrees I think
* The Battery question I couldnt make out if they were configuration I just assumed in series and got 24
.....................................................................................................
Overlall didnt like the test but I answered everything fully and hopefully some of my bullshit responses pay off

stpjono

HSC
yeah, i got 28m for the distance up the slope too.

for the helo question i got like 1300N or something at 55 degrees. iw asnt sure if it were right, because i pretty much just found the force inside the beam at B, then it tuened out to be the same for the reaction? i dunno. i couldnt do anyhting different lol

for the criteria: environment, reliability, cost, maintenance and something else i cant remember

for that graph... you're talking about the rectification circuit? for that i didnt get a sine wave.. i got a graph which was bumpy like a sign wave, but never went negative or touched 0. Mine was slightly wrong though because i did the graph for double rectification.. and this was single.

for the aircraft question. the one on manuvreing when reducing speed, it had "issues" asked. i could only think of one:S moving the flaps down. .what is another one? if it even exits. I was going to say moving the elevators up, but at reduced speed pitch wouldnt do anything.

ahh, overall it was okay i suppose. just a typical engineering exam

sonic1988

The Rookie
HSC
for the helo near the end, i used maths and got about 1125n and it is in compression. didnt have time to measure the angle and finishing off the last 3 question on engineeirng report.

For the first part of the power question, i think the resistance is 18kn, i got wrong 5kn was my answer. but basically use w=300000*60 then f=18000000/1000. the part b i got 28.11 m by using the conservation of energy.

HSC
Nosviper said:
Multiple Choice

1) A [100% right]
2) A (my intial thought was hydrostatic pressure equal in all directions, but it may be c as pressure varies with height)
3) C [wild guess but figured it out when i left and answer is definatatly B]
4) B
5) B [100%]
6) A [100%]
7) D [100%]
8) A [i got it somehow not sure]
9) B [100% since any line that is perpendicular or parallel to the page is true length]
10) D [my mate said he got it lucky guess since my original answer was C but i thought it was too easy for quesiton 10.

Im hoping for 7 or 8 / 10 for multiple choice.
* For the test I didnt get the distance up the slope question calc
* For the graphical calculation near the end I think i got 1400N at 55 degrees I think
* The Battery question I couldnt make out if they were configuration I just assumed in series and got 24
.....................................................................................................
Overlall didnt like the test but I answered everything fully and hopefully some of my bullshit responses pay off

r u shure for 9) its b??? i got c n so did everyone else(n my class), 1) its a???? i got c n i think im right, n e way, i got 25?? or something like that or the car thingo up the hill, i finished an hour n 5 mins early.......drawing took me 20 mins-_-......i suck at it, and in the end i still couldnt do the 1st one, errrmmm.....overall i think i got everythin right besides m.p maybe and drawin

Last edited:

thehootman

HSC
I thought it was quite a challenging paper.
I agree with prime, except for the batteries - i saw them as all in series, therefore 24v.

That winch question I got 1500 (around, cant remember exactly) doing it analytically.

The pressures? p1<p2<p3
Cable type? UTP, coaxial, fibre optic

sonic1988

The Rookie
HSC
i thought 2 batteries are connected in series each at the time, then 2 group are connected in parralel so the out put voltage is 12volts.

thehootman

HSC
Yeah, i was wrong... :(

That means I reckon I lost around 8 marks, so I went pretty well. People lose marks in places where they dont think they did in engineering, especially with drawing and somtimes the engineering report and aspects of profession questions. That is why less than 50 people each year get above 90....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)