How was your first day? (1 Viewer)

SaschaJ

HSC
Its interesting that you say that about Music and not Art, when your statement essentially applies to both.
Art. I think it can be seen by that 3 year old or however old she is on the news that sold a painting to an art gallery for a fair bit of money, that anyone can do it. People come up with the weirdest stuff and its deemed as "amazing" when its not. So yeah that's MY opinion, i realise a whole lot of the state would beg to differ, but each to their own.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
If your talking about art critisim and theory, i completly agree. However with the art major work you really do have to work hard or you will be slaughtered, the calibre is so high.

what subjebts did u do out of curiosity?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Art. I think it can be seen by that 3 year old or however old she is on the news that sold a painting to an art gallery for a fair bit of money, that anyone can do it. People come up with the weirdest stuff and its deemed as "amazing" when its not. So yeah that's MY opinion, i realise a whole lot of the state would beg to differ, but each to their own.
Thats one style of art, what about those who paint similarly to this
http://thomasmiddleton.org/images/Judith_Beheading_Holofernes_Caravaggio.JPG

can anyone come up with this kind of art?

Last edited:

random-1005

Banned
HSC
English Adv, Ancient History, Legal Studies, Art, Society and Culture. My mind works differently from yours, i think.
lol, all of yours are like the social sciences, that would drive me crazy, far to much stuff to remember, and far to much writing

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lol, all of yours are like the social sciences, that would drive me crazy, far to much stuff to remember, and far to much writing
Yes, and the rigidness of maths and science irritates me, mind i like quantum physics, which is a bit odd...
Night.

SaschaJ

HSC
Thats one style of art, what about those who paint similarly to this
http://thomasmiddleton.org/images/Judith_Beheading_Holofernes_Caravaggio.JPG

can anyone come up with this kind of art?
I am forced to agree with you that it is an impressive artwork. but that's the thing that is so retarded about art. how can some baby put some colours on a canvas and its the best thing since sliced bread, when there are pieces like this around. It's tooo subjective that you could actually do anything, because somewhere out there, someone will call some weird piece of crap art.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I am forced to agree with you that it is an impressive artwork. but that's the thing that is so retarded about art. how can some baby put some colours on a canvas and its the best thing since sliced bread, when there are pieces like this around. It's tooo subjective that you could actually do anything, because somewhere out there, someone will call some weird piece of crap art.

I dont agree with this, but let me try to explain the whole 'baby like abstract art' idea. As people age, we are affected more and more by our surroundings, we do not make decisions based upon what we feel is right, but rather what is perceived to be right based on how the action/consequence will be veiwed in our surroundings eg: our friend, family. We lose the ability to make decisions purely because we want to.

When a child paints a tree, they do not consider how others will veiw the painting, they do not care how it will be veiwed, it does not matter what the tree looks like, they are painting a tree the way they want to, it is purple because they want it to be, it is angular and squiggly as that it what they want.

This is what abstract artists often try to capture, they attempt to let go of creative inhibitions and 'just paint' as children do. Hence why people may see an abstract work and say "A child could have painted that, what a piece of junk". People cannot make adequate judgements on what they do not understand.

Last edited:

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Say what you want about HSC dance, id probably agree for the most part, but i do have a lot of respect for people who do hardcore ballet and such, that shit is intense.
Even if I wasnt doing this subject, I dont really think you understand whats involved in the course. Its not just dancing, you have to study texts (or rather choreography), when choreographying you have to include motifs, themes etc as well as be able to speak for 4-5minutes to answer an unseen question that has something to do with your dance. There are essays of appreciation. As well as a major which is on top of all of that. I do that 'hardcore' ballet shit... and yeah its intense but HSC is no walk in the park

umm, just prancing around in a skirt im guessing lol , well whatever you do it is not hard by any means.
and as can be seen from my subjects i am more of a theorist, very logical subjects, not subjects where you can just write down whatever you like (subjects that involve interpretation)
For someone that has logical thinking, that is probably the most incorrect and steroetypical. I dont think I have ever 'pranced'. I'm not asking you to do the subject, but how about you dont make assumptions about the subject and the people doing it. I do Ext Eng, Mathematics, Legal Studies and Ancient as well. Im not stupid nor is anyone else who does dance as a subject. As well as Music, Art, Drama, Food Tec and a bunch of the other subjects mentioned. Not everyone has a likening for Sciences, and not doing them doesnt make them not eligible for a HSC.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Don't assume im ignorant just becuase i don't agree with you, please. I had a lot of friends who did Dance and they did not find it particularly difficult. Yes, there are the odd few who are exceptionally talented, as with any creative art, but the majority who did it i my experience were girls who liked to show off and look pretty whilst doing the least amount of work possible. Their essays were contrived of the same subjective bullshit found in Art, it was not difficult for them to get high marks (in theory). Just because you take the subject seriously, does not mean that everyone does.

Last edited:
HSC
The value of anything is what someone will pay for it.
If we as a culture valued silver more than gold, silver would be more expensive.

So the value of artworks can vary depending on the viewer. But generally, art teachers will agree on what demonstrates good technique, and how well the concept is shown within the artwork.

So while the child's artwork is valued for its naive and unstructured quality, the HSC course requires something much more refined and conceptual.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Don't assume im ignorant please, i had a lot of friends who did Dance and they did not find it particularly difficult. Yes, there are the odd few who are exceptionally talented, as with any creative art, but the majority who did it i my experience were girls who liked to show off and look pretty whilst doing the least amount of work possible. Their essays were contrived of the same subjective bullshit found in Art, it was not difficult for them to get high marks (in theory). Just because you take the subject seriously, does not mean that everyone does.
I dont think your ignorant. Random on the otherhand very much so. I know there are people out there who do dance/art/music/drama/textiles and all the other creative and performing arts subjects like you said to show off and look pretty while doing jack all. But I am aiming for a UAI of 95+, and I know I can do it with my subjects but I need over 90 in all of them. To get over 90 in dance isnt exactly a walk in the park as you might know. It just shits me when people assume that Im doing dance for a bludge and Im stupid because I dont do Chemistry and Bio and Physics.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I dont think your ignorant. Random on the otherhand very much so. I know there are people out there who do dance/art/music/drama/textiles and all the other creative and performing arts subjects like you said to show off and look pretty while doing jack all. But I am aiming for a UAI of 95+, and I know I can do it with my subjects but I need over 90 in all of them. To get over 90 in dance isnt exactly a walk in the park as you might know. It just shits me when people assume that Im doing dance for a bludge and Im stupid because I dont do Chemistry and Bio and Physics.

Yes, that is your experience, it is not the experience of everyone, these people who just want to bludge are not a minority. I don't believe doing such a subject makes you stupid, but the fact is if you compare Dance to Chemistry, Chemistry is arguably the more difficult subject . It is kind of sad that if you don't take a science people think your stupid, but that is just the way it is.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Yes, and the rigidness of maths and science irritates me, mind i like quantum physics, which is a bit odd...
Night.
Maths and science must be rigid, they must have a definitive, exact answer.
think of the building you are in right now as you read this, maths and science made that structure possible, if the engineer/designer had made a fault in the calculations it simply wouldnt be standing.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
there would be a vast majority of the students that do dance to bludge, atleast 80% would be a safe assumption i reckon

Last edited:

truestar92

HSC
haha i was one of the unlucky peoples who had to start on wednesday!
and it was the WORST first day of school ever!!
they gave me soo much homework i didnt even get a chance to go on the computer
seriously it took me over 6 hours to do my homework 4 hours of that dedicated to biology and i still went to school with my math homework unfinished!!
but the two days that followed werent too bad

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Maths and science must be rigid, they must have a definitive, exact answer.
think of the building you are in right now as you read this, maths and science made that structure possible, if the engineer/designer had made a fault in the calculations it simply wouldnt be standing.

LOL, its very funny you say that, we have to sell our house in the next few months cuz its 90years old and literally falling down around us.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
LOL, its very funny you say that, we have to sell our house in the next few months cuz its 90years old and literally falling down around us.
science has come along way in the past 90 years in terms of building materials

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)