how?....wha?? (1 Viewer)

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
how did u guys get your ideas for your major work??

i really want to write something philisophical and to do with the mind and its games and whatnot.. i just want a quote to start with in the prologue.. i dont know..

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I got the concept for my major work from a book that I'd read a long time ago. It wasn't anything to do with the actual book, more about a reference in the footnotes to a historical figure. I'd pretty much looked them up way before this.

I was just really interested in her, and so I decided to go with what I knew.

Sometimes it's preferable to go with what you know - makes it easier in the end when you're doing it the night before. ;)

Last edited:

Lolliana

how can i put it?
i woke up with my idea sme time during term 4 but it changed alot...
then again the form remained the same and the subject only evolved...
youl have a million ideas no doubt but the one you should follow through is the one that keeps popping up in your brain, the idea you cantt get rid of, that is interesting but difficult...the idea your partially afraid of

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by bitchymcbitch
how did u guys get your ideas for your major work??

i really want to write something philisophical and to do with the mind and its games and whatnot.. i just want a quote to start with in the prologue.. i dont know..
Nazis.Hitler.Auschwitz.Mengele.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Hmm.... dinner with your family must be so much more interesting than it is with mine. :p

Last edited:

Leap

free falling
HSC
My idea came from an old joke with one of my friends about having an identity crises.
And a word of warning: Make sure you develop your idea fully, and know how your story (if you end up writing a story) is going to end. I wrote 3 quarters of mine with no idea of how I was going to end it, and it wasn't until 4am a few days before it was due that it all came together.
By that time I was practically giving myself a stomach ulcer from all the stress :rolleyes:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
My original idea was dance + poetry= dance poetry. The philosophy behind the collection evolved significantly throughout the year. But originally I chose to write about dance because it's something I love, and I chose poetry because dance is rhythmical and so is poetry so it seemed natural!

Saul

*ss
HSC
just really liked childrens stories.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by bitchymcbitch
i really want to write something philisophical and to do with the mind...
my own major work is based within those same ideas. (i wrote a ficto-historical story on a modern-to-postmodern metamorphosis from an intense personal perspective. based a lot in mythology and greek classicism; i used a lot of western philosophical thought.)

i can send it to you if you would like?

generally the ideas will come to you as you research-- in fact you can count on that happening. just, find an area (even if general) and stick with it so you can gradually narrow it down. pick the stuff that interests you the most. you mentioned the games that our minds play, or something similar -- that would be GREAT for juxtaposing and exploring various viewpoints and perceptions, and you can create an amazing concept out of that.

phillipo

HSC
i started off with one idea that I ended up seeing for what it was: utterly superficial. Unfortunately that wasn't until half way through term 4, so I didn't actually GET the "area" of my topic until the end of the year. As with "chip" I got my idea from the dinner table too, actually, a table at a restaurant whilst my grandmother was talking about WWII (as one does).

So I read, and read, and searched and researched until I found an author to focus on ... then scraped that author and found another author to focus on ... then spent 2 months sneezing in second hand bookshops for his books ... then read ... then my topic emerged as i started to write at the beginning of term 1

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hey that's really interesting how everyone got their original ideas..

i got mine by watching lots of different films i liked (i mean LOTS) and then writing down wwhat i liked from each, and then [tried to] use my imagination to amalgamate all the different ideas together.

rosie rose

yeah, well i started writing this budget story that wasn't going anywhere, then just took a story
i wrote in year 11 and started to write other ones. what works for me is sitting down with
a sentence to start, or an image that I want to get to, and i just play with the language.
sounds simplistic, but i ended up with five stories and a poem, so somethings working! luckily!
anyhoo, the poem links the stories. the protagonist of the poem is a man who feels incredibly
insignificant, and who tries to create meaning in his life by recording the signatures of
people he sees on the street, people who are fairly usual, but who touch him for some
reason. and the stories are five of the people whose signature he gets.

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
ok , i was thinking of the whole nature vs nurture debate...
and whether our personalities develop in the womb.. and subsequently idiosincrasies and defence mechanisms we become accustomed to throughout childhood and then further in to adolescence... i just need... a starting point... or a general .... idea... area thing..

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
My idea evolved throughout the year, until I finally got it in it's final form early this term.. (With about four weeks left).

The initial spark came in August last year, (I can remember the moment, having gotten home early from the Athletics Carnival, I was reading...) I was thinking about utopias (For some reason), and about how it seemed that many dystopias were technocratic societies.. Which was going to lead onto an essay about the backward-looking nature of utopias. (This is where the 'Looking Backward' title first came in.)

However, upon researching, and reading utopic texts, I realised that to say as such was a vast generalisation. Having already done research, I decided to stay with the topic of utopias, writing generally about their evolution. Unfortunately, being able to do so using twenty or so texts wasn't working, so I ended up having to modify the essay to discuss my three 'key texts', The Republic, Utopia, and Brave New World, framing it with discussion of various aspects of the literary utopia. So while it was finalised relatively recently, the spark had existed for over a year.

chip

HSC
Originally posted by Daemontreu
Hmm.... dinner with your family must be so much more interesting than it is with mine. :p
hahhaha no not really but i did write a sitcom so it could really have been about nothing and no one would of cared

malayz_angel

Well I'm really a 65 year old elderly woman who has a wimpy best friend around the same age, in disguise as a HSC student. And I really got stalked by some creep called Mr. Chills....no really, I have no idea where my idea first came from. Can I go and piece my reflection statement back together, then I'll tell u later?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)