How would I even answer this? (1 Viewer)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
“It is as if we were reading a graphic novel in which the protagonist is wandering around the city and running into people he knows, but their speech balloons are all empty.” – (A Sad Monologist by Laura Karttunen)

Analyse the presentation of subjectivity and self-perception within the text An Artist of the Floating World.

Consider the above quote and your knowledge of the text, including its distinctive qualities, when forming your response.

This is a weird question. How would I even answer this? In my answer would I have to integrate the quote (it's a tricky quote to fluidly integrate), or can I just answer the question?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
“It is as if we were reading a graphic novel in which the protagonist is wandering around the city and running into people he knows, but their speech balloons are all empty.” – (A Sad Monologist by Laura Karttunen)

Analyse the presentation of subjectivity and self-perception within the text An Artist of the Floating World.

Consider the above quote and your knowledge of the text, including its distinctive qualities, when forming your response.

This is a weird question. How would I even answer this? In my answer would I have to integrate the quote (it's a tricky quote to fluidly integrate), or can I just answer the question?
just got artist of the floating world ptsd (i think that quote is from a critical reading right) but yeah that kind of question is a decently common trial / hsc question (at least for this text, anyway)

it says 'Consider' which is a really interesting choice of word so it doesn't really mean integrate it directly but you need to pick out the most important ideas from the quote so it's moreso your thesis should have an overarching idea stemming from the quote where you then relate it to subjectivity and self-perception, then support it with your own ideas + knowledge of the text in the body paras etc etc

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
just got artist of the floating world ptsd (i think that quote is from a critical reading right) but yeah that kind of question is a decently common trial / hsc question (at least for this text, anyway)

it says 'Consider' which is a really interesting choice of word so it doesn't really mean integrate it directly but you need to pick out the most important ideas from the quote so it's moreso your thesis should have an overarching idea stemming from the quote where you then relate it to subjectivity and self-perception, then support it with your own ideas + knowledge of the text in the body paras etc etc
Tysm! Also, iyo what's the general idea of that quote? Idk if I'm highly dyslexic but like how tf am I supposed to write an essay on that.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Tysm! Also, iyo what's the general idea of that quote? Idk if I'm highly dyslexic but like how tf am I supposed to write an essay on that.
i do remember reading this reading actually where the quote is from (like smth about the unreliable narration in artist right?? though i don't remember like the content mostly), but even without the context i would argue that the quote means like every conversation the mc (ono) has is empty and devoid of like meaningful substance and like disconnectedness, and in relation to the novel my take would be like since ono is an unreliable narrator narrating all his memories to us (the readers) which are mostly about encountering other people, we can't really take his narration as solid truth and as a result these interactions he talks to us about lose their meaning and become devoid of substance because we start to doubt if what he's telling us is actually legit (like: was he really a very meaningful influential painter or was he just a nobody) so it's like a metaphor for that

i don't blame u for not understanding it i had to do a double take when i read that question too, idk how strict your school is for trial questions but for hsc they wouldn't give super hard quotes to you (hopefully)

HSC
It sounds like English has really got you feeling overwhelmed! Don't worry, we've all been there. Whether it's tackling complex grammar rules, deciphering dense literature, or crafting essays with precision, English class can definitely be challenging. But remember, every hurdle you face is an opportunity to learn and grow. Take a deep breath, break down the tasks into manageable chunks, and don't hesitate to ask for help when you need it. You've got this! Keep pushing through, and before you know it, you'll emerge stronger and more confident in your English skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)