How would you list written references on a resume? (1 Viewer)

celadoncity

HSC
Hey,
I'm looking at applying for some jobs, and I just remembered that when I finished grade 12 my school wrote a reference letter. The person who technically wrote the reference was one of my teachers, but I don't have any of her contact details like a phone number or email, only the letter.

So, how do you list written references under referees? Do I just write her name then "letter available on request" or something? I guess I could phone up the school and ask but that'd be a little weird since I left a couple of years ago.

Thanks!

proflayton

HSC
You write the schools number and teachers name, but teacher references are not really good.

don't write
available on request it makes the employer work more for it,
would you choose someone who has a resume with on request or someone with a resume with references there without request.

enoilgam

HSC
So, how do you list written references under referees? Do I just write her name then "letter available on request" or something? I guess I could phone up the school and ask but that'd be a little weird since I left a couple of years ago.
That should be fine - most businesses these days only request references once a decision has been made on an applicant. That being said, having a verbal reference is needed as well, because there are times when a business will want to speak to a referee.

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah the school reference is probably not the best, especially as it's been a few years since you've left. However, if you don't have any other referees available, then yes - just put "available upon request".

It also depends who you are applying to and whether they specifically asked for referees. Some employers do not ask for or even do referee checks, as they rely more so on the initial interview. Usually then, they can determine whether you are employable and reliable etc.

Katebrunner

HSC
You don't need to put any referees on your cv in these modern times. You can put 'avaliable on request' if you want but even thats not necessary. The employer will only ask about references if you are a finalist. Listing all your refs and their contact details is unprofessional.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Don't put anything on your resume about references. Certainly don't list them, and don't write "available upon request". It's a waste of space and the employer knows that they're available and will ask for them if they need them.

celadoncity

HSC
Really? that's weird, everyone has always told me that you "need 2-3 referees listed".
Oh well, suits me not to put them, hah.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I'd expect there to be available upon request. It's a formality and it is expected that you have them.

That being said, if you're applying for jobs out of high school, teachers are fine in my opinion. You can list them (once they've given you permission) if you want- not a deal breaker.

If this were a graduate role (or something further up the chain), then agreed you should (at most) put available upon request given like others have mentioned, they only call them once it's pretty much been decided. Again make sure the person agrees to be a reference because based on the past ten references I had to give, the ones who didn't ask me first or ensure I had time set aside to either think of responses to the questionnaire and to speak to the respective recruiter or interviewer, definitely did not receive as much time or favour as I would have otherwise given.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)