How would you rate Pompeii & Herculaneum? (1 Viewer)

maza1989

HSC
Hi everyone....

Just wondering what people thought about the core study.... I found it so boring:eek:

I hope everyone is having fun with exams... only 1 more week before the holidays:)

See ya, Maza

ugly14

G0Ldën MëMbër
HSC
at the beginging i was dying to do pompeii and herculaneum but now..im so sick of it....it's annoying that we have to study it in that much detail......hell...im dying...i dont even know how im gonna do my notes for it, i have a book as thick as the yellow pages just from class work!

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
yeah its pretty boring but its easy, especially if the section on it in the exam is a source analysis

NRuus

Australialainen Suomessa
HSC
I like it actually and find it fairly interesting for the most part. Pompeii is actually what got me interested in history really so it's not that bad for me. I don't really have that much written in my book about it and we haven't gotten as many sheets as i would have expected either. My school already did Pompeii/ Herculaneum before it got bought in as the core study so it's not really any change for us in anything but the depth we study it and the importance placed on it.

X

xeuyrawp

The choice of Pompeii was a pretty obvious one, yet it's a good one in my opinion.

It allows huge moving room for teachers in terms of depth. I think it'll create a much bigger even stratification for marks.

Remember that the issue was (is, to a lesser extent now) that a lot of similar topics were chosen by schools that performed better. Essentially, if you picked up a paper on x topic, you knew it was going to be reasonable.

Unfortunately, that really misaligns the natural bellcurve and is unfair to the top and bottom students of the 'better' and 'worse' sections.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
It's an okay topic.
A vast topic because its two cities and the amount of time given for it at my school was 9 weeks (Term 1, 11 weeks, but the last two weeks cut for half yearlies).

My teacher was sick for at least 5 of those days and we have to finish the rest of it at the end of Term 3 apparently...oh feck.
Though the study notes we've been given and the way to study it, is fairly easy.

I just wish there had been a previous cohort who had done the exam so we could see how to answer various questions.

Source analysis gets extremely boring after awhile, though at least we have...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its weird, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this part of the preliminary course prior?

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Its weird, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this part of the preliminary course prior?
Yes, it was to allow teachers to get used to teaching it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ahh thought so, so yeah, there should be sufficient content in dealing with it then :)

hula girl

HSC
so its a boring topic? grreeaattt

luscious-llama said:
Source analysis gets extremely boring after awhile, though at least we have...

what a brilliant idea
i'll suggest to my teacher at once!

we haven't actually started pompeii yet. we got given an assignment to do over the holidays.
maybe that means we'll start it when we go tomoz (ew :()

felix the cat11

Pirate Love
HSC
pompeii and herculaneum is great, i find it very interesting as it branches off into aspects of modern society aswell as the obvious ancient side. i like how there is study of architecture, art ect as it shows a more personal side of the ancient world.......pomp and herc=10 out of 10

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
felix the cat11 said:
pompeii and herculaneum is great, i find it very interesting as it branches off into aspects of modern society aswell as the obvious ancient side. i like how there is study of architecture, art ect as it shows a more personal side of the ancient world.......pomp and herc=10 out of 10
I just wish there wasn't so much to cover.
I'd love to do it all year, its really interesting -- crazy uber sexual too!

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
hula girl said:
so its a boring topic? grreeaattt

what a brilliant idea
i'll suggest to my teacher at once!

we haven't actually started pompeii yet. we got given an assignment to do over the holidays.
maybe that means we'll start it when we go tomoz (ew :()
Everyone in Ancient History could do with it.
Sugar hits get everyone going!

tiramisu25489

HSC
I think its great :) I was very excited when I found out the core study was P&H and haven't gotten bored of it yet :) Definitely a 9.5/10!

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Ahh thought so, so yeah, there should be sufficient content in dealing with it then :)
It's a really good system - allowing teachers to teach something to year 11 in 2003 and then to year 12 in 2005.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
It's a really good system - allowing teachers to teach something to year 11 in 2003 and then to year 12 in 2005.
Of course it has been on the Preliminary syllabus for a number of years - my school was teaching it in 1994 as it was on the syllabus implemented that year. As I wasn't teaching the syllabus before that year (only teaching modern) I don't know if Pompeii was on the two year syllabus but I suspect not.

When they first talked about a core for Ancient History (in the late 1990s) there were a number of suggestions put forward - Pompeii, Alexandria (which may very well replace it in the next syllabus or two), Bronze Age Greece and even pre-1788 Australia (that one got virtually no support from Ancient History teachers.).

A did a tour of Pompeii and Herculaneum with Brian Brennan and Estelle Lazer (and Jenny Lawless and Kate Cameron) last September/October holidays and there were quite a few teachers on that tour who were doing the tour because they had to teach Pompeii this year and had no knowledge about the topic having never studied or taught it.

X

xeuyrawp

cem said:
Of course it has been on the Preliminary syllabus for a number of years - my school was teaching it in 1994 as it was on the syllabus implemented that year. As I wasn't teaching the syllabus before that year (only teaching modern) I don't know if Pompeii was on the two year syllabus but I suspect not.

When they first talked about a core for Ancient History (in the late 1990s) there were a number of suggestions put forward - Pompeii, Alexandria (which may very well replace it in the next syllabus or two), Bronze Age Greece and even pre-1788 Australia (that one got virtually no support from Ancient History teachers.).

A did a tour of Pompeii and Herculaneum with Brian Brennan and Estelle Lazer (and Jenny Lawless and Kate Cameron) last September/October holidays and there were quite a few teachers on that tour who were doing the tour because they had to teach Pompeii this year and had no knowledge about the topic having never studied or taught it.
Yeah, you've told me about the tour before.

That being said, when I talked to Jen Lawless and Gae, they said that they were happy with how Pompeii is turning out.

Alexandria would be too much to study - I don't think it would be easy to teach about a city that has been inhabited from prehistory up til now. Of course they'd make a date-bracket (say 333BC-600AD for the 'Classical' era), but, as they've found with Augustus and the Julio-Claudians, date-brackets rarely work out.

Alexandria is such a complex example of how the Egyptians just wouldn't give when it came to their identity. It was only 600 years after the 'founding' of Alexandria when the city finally gave up Egyptian paganism - and most people would argue that Egyptian theology has never been abandoned in the weird traditions of the Copts.

Pompeii is the best choice, but it's just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)