HP laptop conundrum (1 Viewer)

eliseliselise

HSC
Hey! I have a major issue with my HP dv2000 laptop... It's 6 months out of warranty and I believe that the motherboard has been 'fried' due to a design fault wherein the computer regularly overheats due to the diminutive size of the fan or something, rendering my beloved laptop 'cacti' (according to the computer guy down the road). Anyway, this laptop cost a fair bit and to see its carcass go to waste, in my eyes, is ridiculous & uneconomical, as the pc itself was fine in all aspects before this unfortunate event... I think HP laptops are notorious for these kind of problems, and in my situation the screen divided into 6 and produced 6 replicas of the one screen, followed by spasmodic graphic distortions, 3 consecutive beeping noises and normally closed with an epic blue screen of death.
Anyway, after being told that my computer is cacti, I discovered that HP can replace the motherboard for circa $1k, which is ridiculous & I'd be better off saving my lunch money/tutoring year 5 kids to save up for a new rather than pay that and I found out that on ebay, they're selling hp dv2000 motherboards for $181 (incl postage) & I was wondering whether it would be worth my while attempting to install a motherboard into a laptop myself (with the help of online guides). I'm willing to spend a solid 2 days reconstructing if need be and I have previously dissected a desktop & replaced the mobo, however I hear that laptops are a whole new kettle of fish....
The only things I really need a computer for is microsoft word, iTunes and firefox so would you recommend just getting a new laptop?? The thing I loved about the HP was the design (sad, I know but it seriously makes a massive difference!!), the size/weight of it & the (normally) crystal clear, sharp and vivid screen...
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Thankyou in anticipation!
~elise

K

khorne

Wait...Does the computer turn on at all anymore? If so, any messages, beeps? etc? I wouldn't think this would be a motherboard problem really. It could be just plain overheating, which would explain the artifacting. Have you tried cleaning out the vents?

Silent_Sniper

Watching you through my sniper scope!!! Getting re
HSC
Hey! I have a major issue with my HP dv2000 laptop... It's 6 months out of warranty and I believe that the motherboard has been 'fried' due to a design fault wherein the computer regularly overheats due to the diminutive size of the fan or something, rendering my beloved laptop 'cacti' (according to the computer guy down the road). Anyway, this laptop cost a fair bit and to see its carcass go to waste, in my eyes, is ridiculous & uneconomical, as the pc itself was fine in all aspects before this unfortunate event... I think HP laptops are notorious for these kind of problems, and in my situation the screen divided into 6 and produced 6 replicas of the one screen, followed by spasmodic graphic distortions, 3 consecutive beeping noises and normally closed with an epic blue screen of death.
Anyway, after being told that my computer is cacti, I discovered that HP can replace the motherboard for circa $1k, which is ridiculous & I'd be better off saving my lunch money/tutoring year 5 kids to save up for a new rather than pay that and I found out that on ebay, they're selling hp dv2000 motherboards for $181 (incl postage) & I was wondering whether it would be worth my while attempting to install a motherboard into a laptop myself (with the help of online guides). I'm willing to spend a solid 2 days reconstructing if need be and I have previously dissected a desktop & replaced the mobo, however I hear that laptops are a whole new kettle of fish....
The only things I really need a computer for is microsoft word, iTunes and firefox so would you recommend just getting a new laptop?? The thing I loved about the HP was the design (sad, I know but it seriously makes a massive difference!!), the size/weight of it & the (normally) crystal clear, sharp and vivid screen...
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Thankyou in anticipation!
~elise

Okay i saw something relating to warrenty issues regarding electronics on 60 minutes... Apparently you can take it back and say that it was not a "Good Product".. Im not 100% percent sure it will work but.. Maybe you should check that piece of information out??? Could end up saving you some serious $$$

P.S Dont buy a HP....... Too many problems... go with ASUS... They are reliable :)

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Okay i saw something relating to warrenty issues regarding electronics on 60 minutes... Apparently you can take it back and say that it was not a "Good Product".. Im not 100% percent sure it will work but.. Maybe you should check that piece of information out??? Could end up saving you some serious $$$

P.S Dont buy a HP....... Too many problems... go with ASUS... They are reliable :)
holy fuck our HP all in one scanner/printer/etc. was unable to be detected by 2 computers.
what a fuckcrap.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
the title answered the problem; you have an hp
Solution: buy something that is't hp or compaq.

If you need a computer for internet/itunes/word, then buy a netbook. Also, buy a 2.5" enclosure (check if it's ide or sata), pull out the hard drive on ur laptop, and put it in the enclosure. Now you have an external hdd.

eliseliselise

HSC
Wait...Does the computer turn on at all anymore? If so, any messages, beeps? etc? I wouldn't think this would be a motherboard problem really. It could be just plain overheating, which would explain the artifacting. Have you tried cleaning out the vents?
No I haven't tried cleaning out the vents yet... i'm not sure how to lol. & when I turn the computer on, it starts up as usual but the graphics are distorted and the screen is divided into 6, so technically I can use it up until the point where it goes into a spasm of sorts, then it freezes and it's quite distressing...

& I shall look into that refund thing- definitely worth while! & no, I shall NEVER buy a HP/compaq EVER again... although the exterior design is sublime, and the graphics (while they lasted) was perfect, it clearly doesn't last long... i think an apple macbook would be the way to go...

Thanks so much for your responses, guys! :D

vds700

HSC
As you said it cost a fair bit originally, I reckon you should inquire about getting it repaired- maybe take it to a good computer repair place and ask for a quote to fix it and compare this to the cost of a new one (dont take it to HP, $1000 is a joke). It could be a bit risky trying to do it yourself.

Its ridiculous that a laptop dies after18 months, they should go for years.

Good luck with it...

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I think HP is throwing everything in with the motherboard, including the other hardware, thats probably why its ridiculously expensive.

I suggest upgrading to a better manufacturer.

HP is really random, my brothers desktop PC is HP and has lasted for nearly 7 years now.

Silent_Sniper

Watching you through my sniper scope!!! Getting re
HSC
holy fuck our HP all in one scanner/printer/etc. was unable to be detected by 2 computers.
what a fuckcrap.
Yea that is HP for ya... Crap buy...

I think HP is throwing everything in with the motherboard, including the other hardware, thats probably why its ridiculously expensive.

I suggest upgrading to a better manufacturer.

HP is really random, my brothers desktop PC is HP and has lasted for nearly 7 years now.
Umm the problem is that HP are throwing crap parts that break a few days after purchase.. I had a HP SCANNER and well it honestly lasted two days.. Piece of crap..

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Putting them together crap now or before?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)