hrm, 47+ aligned? (1 Viewer)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
was wondering, I know extension english gets scaled a fair bit.

How does that correspond with the raw external mark?

Or is it one to one?

say for example you get 46ish RAW in the external, is that your external mark? It shouldn't be, should it? cause in 4u maths, this mark is then scaled a fair bit, and since ext eng gets scaled quite a bit too, would this mean the external mark would jump up?

gah, sorry, I know how annoying these types of questions are. :-\

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
its very hard to answer your question of how does your raw, internal mark correspond to your external HSC mark - they determine the scaling AFTER everyone has sat the test. extension subjects are usually scaled up because there is a better clientele of students doing them. the caling for ext 1 english will depend on how everyone went in 2U english as well as collectively in 3U. your mark from the school may also be moderated depending on how well all the students form your school do in the HSC exam. your raw mark may end up being totally different from your final mark - in all essence, you dont need to know it at all - it is only important that you calaculate and check it to make sure your ranking is right - it is useless for anything else. hope that helps at all :)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
no no, I meant my raw EXTERNAL mark. NOT my internal.

so what if I got 46ish in the EXTERNAL for ext eng? would that be scaled up at all?

for example:
in 4u maths, if you get approx 60 out of 120 raw external, then generally it gets scaled up to around 90.

hehe, thanks for your help though

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
oh, i see. ok, well, the way i understand it, the scaling 4 the mark u got in the hsc exam will be scaled according 2 how well everyone in the state does compared to what they did in 2U - thats why ext 2 maths scales so high, they're supposed 2 be very talented mathematicians - and they compare their marks to how well they did in 3U maths and then how the 3U kids did in 2U. its a very long process. in short, they get scaled up coz they get bad marks in the 4U exam, but very good marks in the 3U exam.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Silvermoon was confusing the scaling used for the UAI with the aligning performed by the Board.

In 2001, a raw mark of 34/50 was required for an aligned mark of 45/50. Each year requires a different raw mark, depending on the difficulty of the examination paper. If your paper is easier than the paper was in 2001, you will need to obtain a higher raw mark.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
wow!
is that it?!? 34! I can do that...
!!

crikey!

my god, I really need that guys contact! pllleeaaasseeee Laz? :-( I won't hassle him or anything. :-S

*hopes the guy will reply soon*

oo, btw Laz, I don't s'pose you'd know about eco/business? 3u maths?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ Dude, check the scaling page on BOS main site.

Business has rather poor scaling. You're pretty much going to be fighting up hill just to keep a good mark if yo acheive one.

Economics has good scaling - below chem and above physics.

3 unit maths is midway between extension 1/2 English (they have very similar scaling) and 4 unit maths. So extrapolate... you'd need maybe a 29/30 to get a 45? Needless to say, it is easier to do well if you do bad in 3unit maths than it is for 3unit English. :)

This is all based on the past 3 year's HSC, but it remains pretty static.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Slide Rule, you've also confused UAI scaling with the Board's aligning procedures.

See <a href="/other/flowchart.pdf">this flowchart</a> for clarification.

The only known raw band cut-offs have been published in <a href="/community/showthread.php?t=34578">this thread</a>.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Hmmm. I didn't think I had. Sorry about that. So what are your answers to Grey Wolf's questions, then, just to confirm?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)