HSC 2003 Q4c - Probability (1 Viewer)

goobi

HSC
A hall has n doors. Suppose that n people each choose any door at random to enter the hall.
(i) In how many ways can this be done? (ans= n^n)
(ii) What is the probability that at least one door will not be chosen by any of the people?

I have no problem with part 1, it's just part 2 that confuses me so much.
Apparently Coroneos and the Math Association provide two different answers for this question.

Coroneos:
IMG_20121003_221520.jpg

Math Association
IMG_20121003_221129.jpg

If you sub a number into n in both solutions, say 4, you will get two different answers i.e. 29/32 and 49/128 respectively.
So could someone please tell me which answer is the correct one or both?

zhiying

HSC
Okay I'm gonna try to do this without looking at either first and see which one matches...

whenever I see "at least" I always like to get 1-P(all) thing

P(all doors chosen) = n!/n^n, n! because since there's n doors and n people, so each person has to pick one door so first person has n choices, second has n-1, third n-2 and so on, n^n is the total possible ways from part a)

then P(at least one door not chosen) = 1 - P(all doors chosen) = 1-n!/n^n

Edit: yeah it fits the Math Association one, lol Coroneos tends to write overly long and complicated solutions from what I've seen in his 4u books -_-

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The Coroneos solutions are incorrect.

They argue *paraphrased* "If 1 door is not chosen, then there are n-1 doors remaining, so each of the n people have n-1 choices and hence (n-1)^n".

This is incorrect because what guarantee is there that all of those n-1 doors are occupied? If at least one of those n-1 doors are *edit* NOT occupied, then we get the case when 2 doors are unoccupied in total. Furthermore, they didn't choose which doors to be unoccupied. So if they have 1 door unoccupied, they should have nC1 to choose the door to be unoccupied.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)