HSC 2013 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Notice the point (0,0) representing z=0 lies on the circle lz-1l=1, initially we were given (1/z)+(1/conjugate(z))=1 and so z=/=0.
Yes it is the 'mindless algebra', think carefully about what z can be
Ahhhhhhhh ok then. Can't believe I fell for that haha, will definitely remember this next time.

So I just have to add z=/=0 at the end right?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Re: HSC 2013 4U Marathon

Ahhhhhhhh ok then. Can't believe I fell for that haha, will definitely remember this next time.

So I just have to add z=/=0 at the end right?
I would say:

'A circle with radius 1, centre (1,0) with an empty circle at the origin due to z=/=0'

I would make a tiny sketch to show what I mean and that is all. The question is actually originally sketch the locus, but since I cant really ask that on the internet I changed it to describe.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

Since it is just a translation, I will use "a" and "-a" as my limits of integration. Noting we want area, and the ellipse is symmetrical, I shall use the limits 0 to "a" and multiply by 4. I will also disregard the "-h" due to this translation:

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

Since it is just a translation, I will use "a" and "-a" as my limits of integration. Noting we want area, and the ellipse is symmetrical, I shall use the limits 0 to "a" and multiply by 4. I will also disregard the "-h" due to this translation:

By setting a=b=1 your answer has the revolutionary consequence that the unit circle has area 8/3.

RealiseNothing

HSC

By setting a=b=1 your answer has the revolutionary consequence that the unit circle has area 8/3.
What did I do wrong then? I was typing it up whilst waiting to respawn in a game, so might have made some random error. (or completely fucked up).

seanieg89

HSC

Square root magically disappeared.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

where denotes the p'th triangular number.

Note

Noting that

Let's hope I didn't fuck anything up this time.
Not quite. I am not sure how you arrived at your observation in the second line.

EDIT: I will make it a 'show that' question so you can check the answer.

RealiseNothing

HSC

Not quite. I am not sure how you arrived at your observation in the second line.
Yep I'm going to go through and make sure the observations are right, I was just using the identities I found when I used to mess around with triangular numbers, probs got one of them slightly wrong.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Yep I'm going to go through and make sure the observations are right, I was just using the identities I found when I used to mess around with triangular numbers, probs got one of them slightly wrong.
I see, well I changed the question so you know if you got it right or not.

RealiseNothing

HSC

ok found my mistake, will re-post my solution.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Ok so far I have:

Heh, I believe you are over complicating the question a bit. In your original solution you made an observation that you could of just applied into the expression. Apply the given sum and you are done.

seanieg89

HSC

So it is obvious how you WANT students to do this question so I won't write that solution up. But just a neat observation, the notion of a sequences "derivative" from http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=292775 can be used to solve this question kind of nicely. It also allows you to generalise the result to an arbitrary number of nested summations!

(The differentiation operator removes sums from the LHS in the same way that differentiation is inverse to integration.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)