HSC 2016 MX1 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
Re: HSC 2016 3U Marathon

Part a of my question

The geometrical significance was that given the graphs of two mutually inverse functions, the gradients of the tangents are reciprocals of each other.

d(f-1(x))/dx = 1/f'(x)
---------
Surely there is another way rather than a compound angle formula for inverse sine right? Cause that would require a derivation beforehand

leehuan

HSC

Side note:

Whilst I don't expect anyone else to, I try to make the questions in the 2U and 3U forum manageable without a hassle in guessing what to do. A 4U student should be capable of adapting at almost any situation, however 2U is just to do some calculus and 3U should be given implicit hints when the question is too difficult by itself.

e.g. What method to do in a binomial coefficient proof is always hinted by what the things you're given look like.

leehuan

HSC

I was just thinking about the validity of that statement before I looked in this thread.

leehuan

HSC

You really should tone down the question difficulty a bit when you're outside the 4U marathons. I don't think any of the 3U kids know what that actually is.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

You really should tone down the question difficulty a bit when you're outside the 4U marathons. I don't think any of the 3U kids know what that actually is.
The question is intrinsically lacking in difficulty. What it does contain is terminology, which is severely neglected in the current curriculum.

leehuan

HSC

I could tell the difficulty was absolutely fine. These are just average 12th grade students though; there are hardly any places in the world where such terminology is required.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I could tell the difficulty was absolutely fine. These are just average 12th grade students though; there are hardly any places in the world where such terminology is required.
"Lattice points" is a standard mathematical term. But I agree that if this question came up in the HSC (unlikely in itself these days), instead of saying "lattice points", they would probably explain it (by saying "integer coordinates" or something), and maybe even provide a diagram like the one I linked above.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Mathematicians are nitpicky.

leehuan

HSC

When I meant hardly any places, I meant any places in the world in their 11th/12th/13th grade curriculum.

Part of why I even want to do maths at uni is to extend above these simplistic questions. But without the explanations, no assumptions should be made that a person who's basically just leaving behind childhood is capable of interpreting language themselves, or to research it lol

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

When I meant hardly any places, I meant any places in the world in their 11th/12th/13th grade curriculum.

Part of why I even want to do maths at uni is to extend above these simplistic questions. But without the explanations, no assumptions should be made that a person who's basically just leaving behind childhood is capable of interpreting language themselves, or to research it lol
There needs to be a single quick topic in the current one labelled : Terminology

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Not sure what has happened but I have tried accessing your link but can't read it from 2 computers (a uni) and my mac book (which I use regularly)
I think LaTeX is just messing up on this site, it happens once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)