HSC 2017 Chemistry Marathon (2 Viewers)

trecex1

HSC
Re: HSC Chemistry Marathon 2017

The process of forming polymers is known as polymerization where there are two types: addition and condensation. Addition polymers are formed by chemically joining many monomers together without any by-product. The double bonds are broken to allow the addition of more monomers. Condensation polymers on the other hand are when polymerization occurs with many natural polymers (e.g. Cellulose, Starch, wool, silk, hair...). Condensation polymers form when monomers chemically combine by eliminating a small molecule (usually water)

I can't really be bothered providing a diagram atm soz

Question:
Describe how ONE named biopolymer is made AND explain its usefulness in term of it properties. (5 MARKS)
You would get maybe 3 marks max for that response.

And that biopolymer question really is not hard when you have access to the internet while constructing a response.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

New question (5 marks)

The following extract was taken from a blog about environmental issues.
"...the use of long-lasting for short lived applications can cause problems for the preservation of living systems..Plastic debris has a costly impact on waste management for municipalities."

Assess the use of polystyrene and a named biopolymer in terms of their properties, with references to the statements made in this blog.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

And that biopolymer question really is not hard when you have access to the internet while constructing a response.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

New question (5 marks)

"...the use of long-lasting for short lived applications can cause problems for the preservation of living systems..Plastic debris has a costly impact on waste management for municipalities."

Assess the use of polystyrene and a named biopolymer in terms of their properties, with references to the statements made in this blog.
Could you please at least answer it, or else it's going to defeat the purpose of the marathon

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Could you please at least answer it, or else it's going to defeat the purpose of the marathon
lol relax be patient

Only a few people have learnt ahead for the HSC 2017 so not many people can answer it so it's up to those few people or the 2016 HSC people

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

lol relax be patient

Only a few people have learnt ahead for the HSC 2017 so not many people can answer it so it's up to those few people or the 2016 HSC people
No he said "the biopolymer question isn't really hard" hence he skipped it

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

At this rate you aren't gonna finish the whole course in these 2 week holidays rip

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

At this rate you aren't gonna finish the whole course in these 2 week holidays rip
Just finished my POM notes but will need to spend a lot of time reediting and perfecting it lmao

Same with phys but I'm only halfway there for space.

Question:
Describe how ONE named biopolymer is made AND explain its usefulness in term of it properties. (5 MARKS)
(trecex, please don't avoid this question no matter how easy you think it is because if you skip it, you ruin the purpose of the marathon)

trecex1

HSC

It really isn't, that whole dotpoint is 100% memorising, defeats the purpose when you have access to wikipedia (you can look it up yourself PLA/PHB).
Someone who doesn't do chemistry could answer it just by copying out the information there.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Just finished my POM notes but will need to spend a lot of time reediting and perfecting it lmao

Same with phys but I'm only halfway there for space.

Question:
(trecex, please don't avoid this question no matter how easy you think it is because if you skip it, you ruin the purpose of the marathon)
Well if you can't answer the question it's a sign that you should edit your notes for that specific syllabus point

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

It really isn't, that whole dotpoint is 100% memorising, defeats the purpose when you have access to wikipedia (you can look it up yourself PLA/PHB).
Someone who doesn't do chemistry could answer it just by copying out the information there.
It doesn't matter, just answer it so then we can run the marathon smoothly again

trecex1

HSC

It doesn't matter, just answer it so then we can run the marathon smoothly again

Polylactic Acid (PLA) is different than most thermoplastic polymers in that it is derived from renewable resources like corn starch or sugar cane. Most plastics, by contrast, are derived from the distillation and polymerization of nonrenewable petroleum reserves. Plastics that are derived from biomass (e.g. PLA) are known as “bioplastics.”

Polylactic Acid is biodegradable and has characteristics similar to polypropylene (PP), polyethylene (PE), or polystyrene (PS). It can be produced from already existing manufacturing equipment (those designed and originally used for petrochemical industry plastics). This makes it relatively cost efficient to produce. Accordingly, PLA has the second largest production volume of any bioplastic (the most common typically cited as thermoplastic starch).

There are a vast array of applications for Polylactic Acid. Some of the most common uses include plastic films, bottles, and biodegradable medical devices (e.g. screws, pins, rods, and plates that are expected to biodegrade within 6-12 months). For more on medical device prototypes (both biodegradable and permanent) read here. PLA constricts under heat and is thereby suitable for use as a shrink wrap material. Additionally, the ease with which Polylactic Acid melts allows for some interesting applications in 3D printing (namely “lost PLA casting” - read more below). On the other hand, its low glass transition temperature makes many types of PLA (for example, plastic cups) unsuitable to hold hot liquid.

sourced from: https://www.creativemechanisms.com/blog/learn-about-polylactic-acid-pla-prototypes

Last edited:

trecex1

HSC

New question (5 marks)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

New question (5 marks)

The uses associated with polystyrene for airblown things such as eskies and styrofoam cups. Also can be used for transparent CD case and plastic transparent cups

One biopolymer is biopol. Biopol is a PHB/PHV blend. it has properties similar to polypropylene and has been used to make non-toxic and decomposable sutures in medicine as it was used in shampoo bottles but had to be abandoned due to the cost

Some of the properties of PHA biodegradable as it can used for recyling of objects such as nappies and kitchen firm, biocompatible as it is used for a surgical thread and other medical applications and it is suitable to replace polypropylene for many applications

The issue regarding this is production of biopol is expensive and research is required to increase efficiency and reduce costs

Hence, it causes problems as it has a costly impact on waste management for municipalities

Question: Identify ONE radioisotope used in the fields of medicine AND industry and explain their use in terms of properties. (6 MARKS)

By the way, someone needs to answer my G-force question in the physics marathon

Also is anyone here up to acidic environment or chemical management and monitoring?

Last edited:

trecex1

HSC

The uses associated with polystyrene for airblown things such as eskies and styrofoam cups. Also can be used for transparent CD case and plastic transparent cups

One biopolymer is biopol. Biopol is a PHB/PHV blend. it has properties similar to polypropylene and has been used to make non-toxic and decomposable sutures in medicine as it was used in shampoo bottles but had to be abandoned due to the cost

Some of the properties of PHA biodegradable as it can used for recyling of objects such as nappies and kitchen firm, biocompatible as it is used for a surgical thread and other medical applications and it is suitable to replace polypropylene for many applications

The issue regarding this is production of biopol is expensive and research is required to increase efficiency and reduce costs

Hence, it causes problems as it has a costly impact on waste management for municipalities

Question: Identify ONE radioisotope used in the fields of medicine AND industry and explain their use in terms of properties. (6 MARKS)

Also is anyone here up to acidic environment or chemical management and monitoring?
You would get 2/5, maybe 3 if the markers were very generous.
You didn't make any reference to the extract except restating it, also your assessment completely contradicts the information you gave.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

The g-force question is literally a syllabus dot point so yeah. Also this response as trecex said isn't that good, has no grammar and no effort put into it which is unfair for the people that answer your questions with effort

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

You would get 2/5, maybe 3 if the markers were very generous.
You didn't make any reference to the extract except restating it, also your assessment completely contradicts the information you gave.
OH shit. DW I'll reanswer the question

dragon658

HSC

Hey guys,

So we pretty much just started the HSC course for Chemistry. Now, this is a probably a stupid question but... is everything I learn from now on completely necessary for the HSC? Because I know that for some subjects it isn't and obviously not all of the prelim stuff in Chemistry comes into play in the HSC course. I just need a sort of re-assurance and a forceful nudge to let me know that I NEED TO STOP EFFING AROUND and get to work. Same goes for physics. If anyone can give me an insight I'd appreciate it. Also, I just realised how small the syllabus and the dot points for each module are - IT ALL LOOKS SO NICE AND KIND AND EASY. With that being said, I should probably get to work.

Simorgh

HSC

Hey guys,

So we pretty much just started the HSC course for Chemistry. Now, this is a probably a stupid question but... is everything I learn from now on completely necessary for the HSC? Because I know that for some subjects it isn't and obviously not all of the prelim stuff in Chemistry comes into play in the HSC course. I just need a sort of re-assurance and a forceful nudge to let me know that I NEED TO STOP EFFING AROUND and get to work. Same goes for physics. If anyone can give me an insight I'd appreciate it. Also, I just realised how small the syllabus and the dot points for each module are - IT ALL LOOKS SO NICE AND KIND AND EASY. With that being said, I should probably get to work.
What do you think is the obvious answer?

Of course !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)