HSC 2017 MX1 Marathon (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsoccerball

HSC
I actually didn't know that o_O
Yeah the question was about inverses and areas so i thought I could just use Integration by Parts since I knew how to integrate the integral... 3 pages later gave up on the algebra and just went for the way they wanted...

Drsoccerball

HSC
Yep. So the basic idea is which steps can I be on as I take my last step:

Extra question: Write a recurrence for the amount of ways I can climb n stairs using 1,2,3... or n step(s).

Should be easy now...

calamebe

HSC
P(total) = P(H) + P(TH) + P(TTH) + P(TTTH) + ...
= p + (1-p)kp + ((1-p)^2)(k^2)p + ((1-p)^3)(k^3)p + ((1-p)^4))(k^4)p + ...
= p(1/(1-k(1-p)) (as k and (1-p) are less than one, the ratio is less than one and hence this is true)
= p/(1-k(1-p))

You can check if k=1 then the chance is 1 which makes sense, as eventually she will toss a heads no matter the probability if it is unchanging, and if k=0 then the probability is p, as she can only win if she tosses a head initially, as if she doesn't she can never win.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
P(total) = P(H) + P(TH) + P(TTH) + P(TTTH) + ...
= p + (1-p)kp + ((1-p)^2)(k^2)p + ((1-p)^3)(k^3)p + ((1-p)^4))(k^4)p + ...
= p(1/(1-k(1-p)) (as k and (1-p) are less than one, the ratio is less than one and hence this is true)
= p/(1-k(1-p))

You can check if k=1 then the chance is 1 which makes sense, as eventually she will toss a heads no matter the probability if it is unchanging, and if k=0 then the probability is p, as she can only win if she tosses a head initially, as if she doesn't she can never win.
Well done! (And good job on testing the answer, a lot of students don't seem to think to do these kinds of checks (maybe because teachers don't appear to emphasise it).)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
A, B are roots of x^2=5x-8.

Find an expression for a^1/3 + b^1/3

I presently cannot think of a way to determine the value using only Extension 1 Methods (there is the subtle distinction of principal valued cube roots vs generalised cube roots) as there is a necessary step in deducing the magnitude of the complex cube roots from the arguments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)