HSC 2017 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2017 4U Marathon

Are calculators allowed in the 4u test

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

Prove De Moivre's Theorem by Mathematical Induction where |z|=1

TaxiCab1729

HSC

For the first part about the limit:

The best I could come up with was that (based on what my teacher said) is that all exponential functions dominate over all polynomial functions which dominate over all log functions. Therefore, based on the second line of the statement, because both g(t) (the function g denotes that left hand expression just before log(t)) and f(t) = t^a both tend to 0, and f(t) dominates over log(t), it must follow that the limit is true because g(t) also tends to 0 and takes precedence over the log function.

Hopefully that made sense...

I'm still trying to practice on latex - I got the second part but I don't think it technically uses parts...

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

For the first part about the limit:

The best I could come up with was that (based on what my teacher said) is that all exponential functions dominate over all polynomial functions which dominate over all log functions. Therefore, based on the second line of the statement, because both g(t) (the function g denotes that left hand expression just before log(t)) and f(t) = t^a both tend to 0, and f(t) dominates over log(t), it must follow that the limit is true because g(t) also tends to 0 and takes precedence over the log function.

Hopefully that made sense...

I'm still trying to practice on latex - I got the second part but I don't think it technically uses parts...
You will need to flesh out your explanation more for it to be valid.

The idea is to use the inequalities:

To bound the function behaviour near the origin and squeeze both sides.

leehuan

HSC

Like, is anyone even gonna get this?
This is a marathon. They purposely throw in questions that can get overcomplicated. 100% of the time they are doable using just HSC techniques however if it were the HSC exam you'd be guided step by step

calamebe

HSC

If anyone wants a hint, consider the expansion (1+x)^2n and what is is equal to for a), and for b), note that nCk=nC(n-k), and group together the like terms. Do consider the even and odd values of n separately for ease.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

If anyone wants a hint, consider the expansion (1+x)^2n and what is is equal to for a), and for b), note that nCk=nC(n-k), and group together the like terms. Do consider the even and odd values of n separately for ease.
There is no need to consider parity cases if you're at that level.

leehuan

HSC

And I probably did something wrong.

calamebe

HSC

And I probably did something wrong.
Yeah you left off the squares. Put the squares on, then use the result from a) and you should be fine.

EDIT: Though I don't see a need to break the terms up as you did in the second line. You can do it easily without breaking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)