HSC and Family Pressure/Expectations (1 Viewer)

Do u have family expectations to live up to

• Yes (from who in family in particular)

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No (god i hate u lol jkz lucky people)

Votes: 85 42.5%

• Total voters

Evan11

HSC
Re: Pressure From Parents

risole91 said:
Because they don't believe y12 should be study study study

infact they regularaly tell me high school is the best time of your life, enjoy it.
i can tell you right now that uni officially shits all over high school in every way.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

My parents are pretty relaxed about how I go. They don't push me extremely hard, but I guess like most Asians, the expectations are there, whether it is expressed directly or indirectly. And no, I'm not planning to do Medicine or Law :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A

I'm rather quite indecisive at the moment. Commerce is on the agenda, but so is pharmacy, physiotherapy or psychology :) Anything could happen at the end of the year or whenever we have to choose our uni courses.

blakegman

HSC
N/A

Accept the asian inside of you and do commerce.

And then fail marketing.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

The only expectations you have to meet are your own.

(besides, people who yell and scream and cry during HSC year are really annoying)

Kujah

HSC
N/A

blakegman said:
Accept the asian inside of you and do commerce.

And then fail marketing.
Point taken ;)

Evan11

HSC

Charity F said:
commerce, right? ;)
but commerce, law and medicine would hav to be the top 3 courses that ALL people are aiming for, not just asians?

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Evan11 said:
but commerce, law and medicine would hav to be the top 3 courses that ALL people are aiming for, not just asians?
Depends on the person really and their interests. You forget to mention the other faculties and courses, 'cause alot of people have Engineering, Arts, Health Science etc on the top of their list.

blakegman

HSC
N/A

depends if you classify all the sciences as one grouping. Plus Engineering is big

But Commerce is definatly one of the top courses.

Pretty sure law and medicine has limited spots, hence the insanse cutoffs.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC

Very little pressure on me. I put it on myself.

sasa-o8

HSC

If I had 'typical' Asian parents, I would've already failed at life; what, doing general maths and not wanting to do Medicine at Uni and all *shock. horror* :O

But, my Asian parents are part of the minority that don't give me pressure so it's all cool at the moment. They just want me to try my best, which I aim to do.

I'm all down after recieving an assessment mark and I got 60%, but my mum said I did "pretty well" and wanted to reward me by taking me shopping. Opposed to my other Asian friend who did the same test and got her ass whipped (not literally) by her parents cos she ONLY ended up getting 95% and thus, failed at life.

lacklustre

HSC

Rhanoct said:
Very little pressure on me. I put it on myself.
Yep, same. I have high expectations of myself. Nobody puts pressure on me, only I do. Still feels shit though when you let yourself down.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

Parents don't really mind, because out of all our family friends I'm pretty much the "smartest".

I'm looking at 90+, but a 95+ is a personal goal.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

tommykins said:
Parents don't really mind, because out of all our family friends I'm pretty much the "smartest".

yeah same (although compared to people on here, such as yourself im quite average )

But a UAI over 80 where im from is considered pretty high.

cs01001

HSC

Kujah said:
My parents are pretty relaxed about how I go. They don't push me extremely hard, but I guess like most Asians, the expectations are there, whether it is expressed directly or indirectly.
Pretty much sums up what my parents are like. They don't say it out loud, but you know it's there. Subtle pressure coming from inside and all other people around me ie cousins etc.

Earache

HSC

wow thats amazing..

I have so much pressure on me, I can't explain.. I am able to describe " The road not taken " easier then what i go thru..

My dad quotes " if u dont get into uni dont come home "

And im pretty sure that will scare every one.. I have so much pressure on me, I cant focus when i remember what my parents say.

HSC

No pressure on me, it's kind of annoying not being pushed a little bit lol. I need to get some more self-control to make myself study.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A

My parents are really lenient, particularly for Asian parents.

Well, the brother did get 60 UAI, so that just leaves me to beat my sister's 92.45.

My brother is my motivation, and any pressure is coming from unreasonably high expectations from myself. /skyrocketingbloodpressure

insomniac90

7/9/08
HSC

HAhhha ive been pressured since i was in year 9. - like as if the school certificate was everything and that it was a prediction of what i will get for my HSC. My parents both got scholarships and are expecting me to do the same.
Its so bad they expect me to study every waking second. i havent watched TV in over a month =[ and they dnt know that im on the internet either.

NOW TAHTS PRESSURE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)