HSC Belonging related text help... (1 Viewer)

Cassandra11

HSC
Hello, I'm in Advance english and we are currently studying Peter Skrzynecki's Poems and i am having trouble finding a related text that ties in with his poems- Feliks Skrzynecki and Postcard. I was thinking about doing Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone but i am very unsure about it. Does anyone know any good related texts that tie in with the two poems. Thankyou

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, I'm in Advance english and we are currently studying Peter Skrzynecki's Poems and i am having trouble finding a related text that ties in with his poems- Feliks Skrzynecki and Postcard. I was thinking about doing Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone but i am very unsure about it. Does anyone know any good related texts that tie in with the two poems. Thankyou
I strongly advise you to avoid HP and any other mainstream text that follows the generic genre conventions, lacking depth and analysis. Unless you're an ace student, these texts are predominantly going score less in the HSC.

HSC
N/A
Hi Cassandra11,

I would strongly advise against using Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (or any other well-known media franchise such as Star Wars and Twilight for that matter) as it lacks sophistication and will be instantly looked down upon by any HSC marker.

Make sure you choose a related text that has enough depth to explore the concept of belonging in a complex and meaningful way. It should contain a wide range of language devices, structural devices and other techniques that you can use to support your thesis and allow comparisons to your core text.

A few related text suggestions for Skrzynecki's poems would be John Brack’s painting 'Collins St, 5pm', Albert Camus’ novel 'The Outsider' or Marjane Satrapi’s animation film 'Persepolis'.

All the very best!

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Those texts lack substance and may be overused. Try using foreign asian or cultural films and novels written by foreign writers.

Cassandra11

HSC
Hi, thanks for your answer; would 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' (Book) by John Boyne be a good Related text? or is it to recent? Also what about Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Steven King? thanks

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, thanks for your answer; would 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' (Book) by John Boyne be a good Related text? or is it to recent? Also what about Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Steven King? thanks
Both of those would be fine :)

KeyaMcGeown

HSC
:blink2:Im currently studying Skrzynecki aswell and am doing SBS 'Go back to where you came from' as a related text - not sure what else to do though... This whole related text thing is going to kill me in study time.

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
:blink2:Im currently studying Skrzynecki aswell and am doing SBS 'Go back to where you came from' as a related text - not sure what else to do though... This whole related text thing is going to kill me in study time.
'Go Back to where you came from' is quite widely used, particular by teachers in some schools as a demonstration of how to approach and deconstruct a related text. It's early days at the moment - keep researching and you can always come back to your original idea if you get short on time or ideas that work for you :)

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
Have a look at the poem 'Mending Wall' by Robert Frost :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)