HSC english (1 Viewer)

sae24

HSC
Hi guys so for context i'm doing STD english for HSC this year--because for PRELIM I did ADV english my average and rank in terms of the class was bad; 74% and rank 7/25 (which half of that class dropped to standard). Also i'm sorta worried that my mark for HSC is gonna be bad cuz right now my mark is like 75% (since my teacher marks very hard, only one person got a Band 6 overall for internals) average and my rank is i think 3/17. Do you think it's possible for me to at least get a Band 5?

Just wanting to ask how are you guys preparing for Paper 1 and Paper 2, in terms of practice and the essay section. And how many quotes are you guys memorising per text, is it in accordance to themes or specific syllabus terms?

mcchamp

HSC
Based on your ranking, and the fact that your teacher has marked very hard, your actual internal mark is probably higher than 75 since your mark gets adjusted based on the previously mentioned factors. It's kind of hard to know what your real mark is, but it's probably above 80. So it's very possible to get a Band 5 in English, maybe even a Band 6 if you perform extremely well.

In terms of how I'm preparing, I'm pretty shit at English. However, my smarter mates have told me that they're going to memorise an essay of about 3 paragraphs (with 3-4 quotes per paragraph) and adapt it to the question on the day. Try looking at some exemplar essays if you need inspiration.

For the short answers, the marks are usually divided into:
  • 1 mark for a topic sentence
  • 1 mark for each piece of evidence w/ analysis
So for example, if you have a 4-mark question, use 3 pieces of evidence.

In terms of the syllabus, it's mainly a guide for how to interpret the themes, so the rubric can be used as a guide to form your answers.

As I said before, I'm pretty shit at English so it's probably better to get a range of opinions on this (teachers, friends etc), but this should help.

Cheers.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Hi guys so for context i'm doing STD english for HSC this year--because for PRELIM I did ADV english my average and rank in terms of the class was bad; 74% and rank 7/25 (which half of that class dropped to standard). Also i'm sorta worried that my mark for HSC is gonna be bad cuz right now my mark is like 75% (since my teacher marks very hard, only one person got a Band 6 overall for internals) average and my rank is i think 3/17. Do you think it's possible for me to at least get a Band 5?

Just wanting to ask how are you guys preparing for Paper 1 and Paper 2, in terms of practice and the essay section. And how many quotes are you guys memorising per text, is it in accordance to themes or specific syllabus terms?

im a qualified English teacher . If you would like any advice or I can help I’ve sent you a pm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)