Hsc Ipt '07! (1 Viewer)

jwkhan

HSC
N/A
hows the stress settling in.. last min study tactics? past papers? hows every1 goin??

Beege

HSC
Pretty good, just gotta go over all of the social and ethical stuff, sqls, normalisation, the option topics and then do past questions and I should be sweet.

LatK7

HSC
Yeah, all good. Just finished all the core sections in the short answer. Not very difficult which is good. Going over options tomorrow and the past papers for them, then that should be it.

context, dfd's, SQL, decision trees/diamonds, data dictionaries, normalisation, systems flowcharts, got all those done too.

Anyone else aiming for a band 6?

jwkhan

HSC
N/A
cool cool.. which options do u do.. im stuck on image sizes calculation for multimedia... though ive noticed that hsc exams for ipt tend to be more simpler in terms of option topics compared to trials.. did u do cssa trial this yr? how did u find it?

jwkhan

HSC
N/A
yep im aiming for a band 6 too.. lets hope i can achieve that..

LatK7

HSC
jwkhan said:
cool cool.. which options do u do.. im stuck on image sizes calculation for multimedia... though ive noticed that hsc exams for ipt tend to be more simpler in terms of option topics compared to trials.. did u do cssa trial this yr? how did u find it?
Yeah, i got 93 for the CSSA paper.

I do multimedia and TPS. I find them both pretty easy, but occasionally you can get a tricky question, so just gotta know that content.

For help with image size see this thread, http://community.boredofstudies.org/292/option-multimedia/154889/multimedia-formulas-thread.html

All you need to know. Good luck with the study in the next couple of days, i'm sure you'll do fine.

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Did all my notes in the 2nd week of the holidays, aiming for a band 6. I just have to read over IPT stuff a few times - my usual study routine was to flick to the relevant chapter and skim through the night before, but i didn't want to risk it this time. Filesize stuff irritates me though, what with the no-calculator rule and some people taking them in anyway... :confused:

CongSheng

HSC
Heyy all... yehh the normalisation is abit tricky and hopefully they wont ask us such a difficult file size question in the multimedia option.. The Diagrams are killing me though lol.. SQlL's are fineee :wave:

HSC
Lol, I'm not even worried the slightest. And if I get any diagram question on the test, I will borderline ignore it.

As for normalisation, here's something I wrote only about a week ago. Brief summary.

1st Normal Form: Every field in a table must contain specific and unique information.
There should be no fields which contain more than one piece of information, or any fields which contain similar information.

For example, if you have a field for address, and you have someone's street name, house number, town, postcode and country, you have to split that field so that all of those things have their own friends.

Or if you have a name field and in it, the first and last name of a person, you gotta split it into 2 fields, one for the first and one for the last name.

2nd Normal Form: Redundancy
No one piece of data should appear more than once, regardless how, in any part of the database.
If there are repeated entries in a table, then the table probably needs to be split into more tables joined by foreign keys.

So if you have for example a date for someone's birthday, and then you also have their year of birth, that's incorrect, because the year of birth can be extracted from the date of their birthday, so the year of birth is redundant data.

Or if you have books and authors in a table, because books have many authors and authors can have many books, it would be stupid to put all this into one table, instead have an authors table, a books table, and a table to link the two.

3rd Normal Form: All fields in a table should be a direct description of the primary key (or keyfield as BoS might call it).

So for example, if you have a table about people, and one of the fields is about what kind of car they drive, and another is about how much that car costs - the field with the cost of the car has nothing to do with the person, and should be split into a different table.
Definitely not the best summary, but something for people whom might not get it still.

The stupid BoS makes normalisation harder for me, because of their gross oversimplification of it >_<

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
As for normalisation, here's something I wrote only about a week ago. Brief summary.
Hey coolies, thanks for posting that dude. Explains it better than my notes do, that's for sure :D Did you go by the syllabus for notes? I just went by the textbook (Heinemann) which seems to have the right info to get me through past papers - I have to admit now that I've never looked at the IPT syllabus >_<

HSC
WTF!bbq said:
Hey coolies, thanks for posting that dude. Explains it better than my notes do, that's for sure :D Did you go by the syllabus for notes? I just went by the textbook (Heinemann) which seems to have the right info to get me through past papers - I have to admit now that I've never looked at the IPT syllabus >_<
There's an IPT syllabus?

:O

No, I've never seen it on my life :D
I went by what normalisation actually is, modified to what the Excel book wants us to think it is.

AFAIK the Excel books are made of the most epic fail imaginable, so I'll go and check the syllabus now.

Edit: Going through the silly-bus now, this is the only mention of it:

"normalising data to reduce data redundancy", under "Organisational Methods" in the information systems and databases section.
So I guess if you talk about normalisation in terms of reducing data redundancy, you will get good marks.

Last edited:

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Mm, figured as much. What the hell are you doing up this late ^____^ and how many pages of notes do you have? I cant tell if I'm over/under-doing it =/

NeoTokyo

HSC
I'm fine with all topics except that blasted databases one. Normalizing will be the death of me.

Beege

HSC
NeoTokyo said:
I'm fine with all topics except that blasted databases one. Normalizing will be the death of me.
yeah databases is probably my worst topic too

HSC
WTF!bbq said:
Mm, figured as much. What the hell are you doing up this late ^____^ and how many pages of notes do you have? I cant tell if I'm over/under-doing it =/
I was studying maths, and then went on BoS to check whats up lulz.

Pages of notes....err like none? I have my IPT notebook, but there's nothing there but a bunch of useless diagrams.

Our teacher gave up a LOT of notes and homework in electronic form (ie. word documents), and I revise those, as well as a read of everything in the excel book (which btw has many mistakes, so u gotta keep your eye out).
But I have nothing on paper.

I would love to upload all my word documents and stuff, but it's like 120MBs and I have a 128kb/s upload speed lol.

I know it all inside out anyway ><
I have been on my computer every single second of my spare time, for my entire life lol. I'm the biggest computer nerd I know of, and now it's time for that to pay up :D

And I cannot overemphasise how funny I find that everyone doesn't like databases, I seriously consider IPT databases to be the easiest thing in the world ><

jwkhan

HSC
N/A
hey everyone!!
woah its awesome to see everyone studyin n preparing well for ipt! we'll all do fine.. except yeah im worried sick if i get some v hard calculation for multimedia!!! and whas the whole calculator business?

KaLibuR

HSC
hey everyone!!
woah its awesome to see everyone studyin n preparing well for ipt! we'll all do fine.. except yeah im worried sick if i get some v hard calculation for multimedia!!! and whas the whole calculator business?
Ahh don't worry about it mate. The Board of Studies say that you cannot take a calculator into the exam with you, but I wouldn't worry about it. If you can remember the formula, you can calculate it out.

Seriously it shouldn't be too difficult. I don't even expect them to ask us to calculate it out, why would they tell us not to bring in an exam if they expect us to calculate the filesize of some multimedia? Though I do have them in the back of my head, just in case. Everything can be done simply, just remember back to your old math lessons:

24 x
-------

8 x 4 = 32 (write 2, keep 3 in your mind)
8 x 2 = 16 (plus 3) so equals 19

If you can remember that simple stuff, you should be fine (assuming you remember simple addition etc :p). I'm buffing up on databases, not because I struggle with them, but because I expect them to ask the most on. From the exams I've done so far, they don't test you generally on all topics, but harshly in a few subjects, and I expect them to hit databases hard.

Anway, everyone has their own study habit and hopefully myn pays off. If you do computers and you use computers often (and I don't mean MSN and internet browsing, but using the registry, coding, file conversions, stuff like that) you should be fine. If you don't use comps like that, but you listened in class, you should be fine. If you don't use comps like that and you don't listen in class ... YOU FOOL! Hahaha :p jokes

GL with the exam tomoz guys!
KaLibuR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)