hsc question (1 Viewer)

wgy182

HSC
hey guys,

How do you answer this question?

Briefly explain the relationship between economic growth and the environment? (3 marks)

Thanks guys

spaks1995

HSC
well i would say something like
Environment is an economic growth constraint because
usually, high growth leads to the production of negative externalties that pollute environment, thus it is a growth constraint
However, Economic growth gives the economy, through technical and financial enhancement, ability to produce less negative externalties(pollutants) -> Better position to deal with environmental problems.
idk man thats wat i would say, check the answers i might not be right

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
usually, high growth leads to the production of negative externalties that pollute environment, thus it is a growth constraint
However, Economic growth gives the economy, through technical and financial enhancement, ability to produce less negative externalties(pollutants) -> Better position to deal with environmental problems.
Das too fancy. Op just be like economic growth comes at the opportunity cost of environmental quality. Thus a higher rate of economic growth would result in a lower environmental quality and vice versa. This is because economic growth requires resources to occur blah blah something and leads to negative externalities such as pollution which exploits the natural environment. Coz u know like how high efonomic growth in China --> thy build skyscrapers coz of their high economic growth rates of 9-10% as it is an emerging and developing economy and it hasfactories which release that steam stuff, so tht's like bad for the environment. Chuck in the diagram of the trade off between economic growth and environment and you're good.

wgy182

HSC
Am I meant to define terms in short answer section (when it doesn't specifically say define)?

for example, in this question, "Explain the positive and negative externalities that could arise if the government built a new airport in the Sydney region?" (4 marks)
Do I define externalities, positive externalities and negative externalities to get the full marks?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Am I meant to define terms in short answer section (when it doesn't specifically say define)?

for example, in this question, "Explain the positive and negative externalities that could arise if the government built a new airport in the Sydney region?" (4 marks)
Do I define externalities, positive externalities and negative externalities to get the full marks?
It would be good to define everything in the question, coz you don't wanna risk regretting not putting it down, it's only 1 - 2 lines anyway so may as well do it. But put the emphasis on explaining and ensure that you thoroughly explain the links.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, this is the correct answer.

Would also recommend using the Kuznets Curve to justify answer in a long response.

mreditor16

HSC

Would also recommend using the Kuznets Curve to justify answer in a long response.
Kuznets Curve is not in HSC syllabus, nor it is covered by the dominant textbooks (i.e. not covered in Leading Edge, Riley or Excel). Might be in Bulmer, but Bulmer seriously doesn't understand what is within the limits of HSC.

mreditor16

HSC

At most, you would have to define externalities. You don't need to define positive and negative externalities, because it is pretty much self-explanatory once you've defined externalities.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC

wotttt this isn't in my economics tb?!!!!!!! Is this like advanced economics? Or maybe it was in the Economics Extension course :((

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Kuznets Curve is not in HSC syllabus, nor it is covered by the dominant textbooks (i.e. not covered in Leading Edge, Riley or Excel). Might be in Bulmer, but Bulmer seriously doesn't understand what is within the limits of HSC.
wotttt this isn't in my economics tb?!!!!!!! Is this like advanced economics? Or maybe it was in the Economics Extension course :((
That's a surprise.

I could have sworn it was when I did the HSC.

(I've probably mixed it up with my degree)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
That's a surprise.

I could have sworn it was when I did the HSC.

(I've probably mixed it up with my degree)
hmm the course probably changed or something, ahahah nws

lpodtouch

HSC

The first sentence should clearly (and succinctly) define what externalities are ('Externalities refer to the cost/benefits associated with the production/consumption of a good/service...').
The rest of the question should be delegated into outlining and ergo explaining the positive/negative externalities associated with the creation of an airport in the Sydney region (two benefits and two costs to fulfil the four mark criteria).

mreditor16

HSC
The first sentence should clearly (and succinctly) define what externalities are ('Externalities refer to the cost/benefits associated with the production/consumption of a good/service...').
The rest of the question should be delegated into outlining and ergo explaining the positive/negative externalities associated with the creation of an airport in the Sydney region (two benefits and two costs to fulfil the four mark criteria).
essentially this :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)