HSC v. BF (1 Viewer)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
it can be done. a mgr at my old work (maccas) had a bf, a social life, worked, went to the gym twice a week AND was in her HSC year and managed to get a 95 uai.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
BreaKing said:
it can be done. a mgr at my old work (maccas) had a bf, a social life, worked, went to the gym twice a week AND was in her HSC year and managed to get a 95 uai.
A girl at my school is a manager of KFC, does something like 14 or 12 units, tutors piano and something else and is like so exceedingly smart. Im sure she does other stuff. It simply amazes me.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
my brother and his (now ex) girlfriend were going out with one another during both their hscs (in 02 then 03) and he got 98.something and she got 96.something. of course it can be done.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
for me, there would be more drama/pain if my boyfriend and i broke up than there would otherwise be during the hsc year. if you're thinking about him all the time isn't that just as distracting anyway?

jebbie

HSC
waterbottle said:
for me, there would be more drama/pain if my boyfriend and i broke up than there would otherwise be during the hsc year. if you're thinking about him all the time isn't that just as distracting anyway?
If you're not going out then you aren't as worried. I remember fretting more over my ex when we were going out, about what he was doing, then me just liking him. I was distracted sure but I wasn't nervous/worrying. I do enough of that over school work I shouldnt have to stress over what my boyfriend is doing/ not doing as well!

Although I think it was because he was out of school and I wasn't and I was really paranoid about what he was doing :/

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
jebbie said:
If you're not going out then you aren't as worried. I remember fretting more over my ex when we were going out, about what he was doing, then me just liking him. I was distracted sure but I wasn't nervous/worrying. I do enough of that over school work I shouldnt have to stress over what my boyfriend is doing/ not doing as well!

Although I think it was because he was out of school and I wasn't and I was really paranoid about what he was doing :/
my boyfriend is out of school, eek.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
my gf is in year 10 and im doin hsc.. it isn't so bad.. after we got together my maths rank went from 100th to 36th... good enough improvement for me. :D

thinking about her all the time and knowing that she feels the same kinda gives you the motivation to work harder i guess.. :p

jebbie

HSC
miaomiao said:
Yes! I am the same. My guy finished the HSC last year... Thinking about him and missing him this year is not as distracting as the intensity of crying over the phone to him, yelling, making up, yelling again etc etc. The thing is though, I know that we will inevitably see each other again because of the intensity/closeness of the relationship and that's kind of daunting...
Exactly. Thats why I broke up with my boyfriend. We're still very close friends and I think once Im finished the HSC he wants to get back together but I dont really feel like I want to :/ Oh the dramas..

RhiG

this is good guys..so many ppl have so many different opinions. i have accepted what my oarents have said, by looking at it from their perspective. and my marks are going up!! which is good..i've realised that in the scheme of things, 5 months isn't that long and i'm not going to meet my soul mate at 17..so yeah. and i have 500 times more fun hanging out with my girlfriends!

as my dad says
'guys will come and go, but you're friends are for life'
best advice ever..i love my dad!!!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i had a boyfriend all through yr 11 and 12 (same guy the whole time) and i got 99+. i hate parents who tell their kids not to have relationships during the hsc, or even people who say they wont do it cos its a distraction or whatever. its just bullshit. if you call having a stable, close source of moral support a "distraction"... then maybe so. i only found it beneficial, and any negative aspects were related to my particular situation and the guy involved, NOT the overall concept of having a bf during the hsc.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i had 1 bf from dec 03 till mid-aug 04....it was ok at the start, but when it came to school work, the fact that he was in yr 10 didnt help at all. he was pretty clingy & didnt understand how much time i needed for my school work & major work (pip) - now that i think about it, i probably shouldnt've decided to have my 1st bf at the start of yr 12....maybe my parents should've been more conscerned or whatever & told me not to have a bf till after the hsc..but then again, it was probably my fault caus he was younger.
so i stuffed up my 1/2 yrlies & trials caus of my ex...but then about a month after, i got another bf (older this time). the fact that he was the yr above me (& probably caus he was asian too) helped lots. he made me do my work & would come down (from syd) & make me study with him. it only lasted for 3mths, but so i'm bloody glad i had him - stopped me from procrastinating & saved my arse!
i didn't get the uai i'd hoped for, but i dont care. the transition from school to uni's pretty massive, so i'm glad i went to tafe. i've saved cash (i've got to pay for uni, mum & dad're paying for tafe) & now i've (almost) got a traineeship, which i probably couldnt've had if i'd done uni

i guess my theory is:
- if you've had bf's before, you know what you're doing & can balance it
- if you havent, its probably better not to have your 1st during the hsc

ozziemodo

I think it really depends on what you want, and what person you seek as a bf/gf.
I recently broke up with my gf because of the HSC, amongst other things. The
main reason was that I was trying to get good marks/high UAI etc. and she wasn't. She wasn't even eligible for a UAI, and didn't understand why I worked so hard, and why i needed time to study on regular occaisions. She laid a guilt trip on me every time we had a free together and I said I had to do hmk, so I just left it and spent the free with her. I still got reasonably good marks for the mid-courses, but now I am single I just have heaps more time for study and thus a lot less stress.
The bottom line is, if you want a bf/gf, find someone who understands YOUR attitude/view to the HSC. If you are going for 95+ UAI and need regular time to study so you can get work/study done or feel less stressed, don't get with someone who demands to see you 24/7. Thats just dumb.

*ashlea*

HSC
Hmmm.. this is a concern 4 pretty much everyone facing their hsc, and i guess everyone will draw a conclusion 4 different reasons, whatever feels right for them..
As for me though, i'm in yr 12 atm and have been with my first serious b/f since september last year. He's a year older and at uni, but he's really helped me with my schoolwork this year.. he did awesomely in his hsc last year (we started going out 1 month b4 his first test) and he's really inspired me to do well too. I don't think i'd be going anywhere near as well as i am without him, because i get so stressed out b4 tests, but he always calms me down, and helps me if i get stuck with anything since he did all the same subjects im doing.
So in my experience, having a boyfriend has helped my hsc, rather than hindered it.
I know that a break up in the couple of months b4 your hsc would be pretty devastating, but thats a risk im willing to take, plus im 99.999...% positive it wont happen with us anyways..
Good luck to everyone who does ahve a b/f this year, and to those who are gonna take the plunge in the next 5 months.. hope it works out 4 ya ;)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Parents can't tell you whether you can have a boyfriend or not. If you want one, just don't tell them. If you want to go somewhere just say you are going with friends.

It pisses me off all these people that think you have to put your whole life on hold for the HSC. If so many people are doing it then maybe it's a sign that the HSC is too hard.

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
Rhi87 said:
my parents have told me that i'm not allowed a bf until after the HSC..anyone else in the same boat?? what do people think? (i hate it)
Thats mean, I have a boyfriend and I am doing fine.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
my friend broke up with her bf at the start of year 12. i dont know how people do it, as if youd break up for school. fucking ridiculous.

ozziemodo

Some people do break up for school and some don't. It just depends on the
type of bf/gf you have. In ashlea's case, having a relationship has been extremely
beneficial. Her bf understands what the HSC demands, and so helps her with her
work. I was not as lucky. My ex didn't get why I worked so hard (need a 94 UAI
for the B Commerce degree I want to get into), and her approach to the HSC
was a lot more relaxed. I realised I didn't want to be in a relationship where that
happened, so one reason for our break up basically was because of school.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I'm not sure what my parents expect. They keep telling me, "no gf until after hsc" and then the otehr day they asked me, "how come all your friends have gf's but you don't?". From my own point of view, i don't think having or not having a gf would really affect your hsc. I think it was Pete from 'Round the twist' who said, "Not having a gf is a distraction Trying to get a gf is a distraction. Even if i had a gf, that would still be a distraction".

tennille

HSC
I had a bf during the HSC (and were still going out). It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me because it released the stress due to the HSC. I also had a part time job, and I still managed to get a good UAI. As long as you don't dump all of your work and do something with them everyday, its fine. You just need to learn how to manage time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)