Hybrridsation (1 Viewer)

Lizzae

HSC
Hybridisation

I got this question for homework and can't seem to find the answer.

Give 2 reasons why viable hybrids between two different species might be difficult to achieve using traditional breeding techniques

Any help would be great :)

Cheers

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Hybridisation

Different species may have different number of chromosomes.

As to traditional breeding methods, thinking about what happens if you put a chicken and a crocodile together! Will the chicken be eaten before it can a chance to mate?

Dr_Doom

HSC
Re: Hybridisation

lol I was just looking for the answer to this, because I remember answering it two days ago. But survivor beat me to it :p

Hey survivor I thought all organisms had 46 chromosomes...?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Given that traditional breeding techniques pretty much involves putting two animals together and hoping they get it on...then differing peak breeding periods would be a considerable issue, for example say Parrot A has a breeding season of March - July but Parrot B has a breeding season of October - January, then there will be issues instigating a match regardless of how genetically compatible they may be.

Another possible issue is the size of the offspring, for example when a male lion breeds with a female leopard, the female has considerable difficulty bringing the offspring to term as its body wasn't designed to bear a kitten of that size.

Dr_Doom said:
Hey survivor I thought all organisms had 46 chromosomes...?
Nope, each species has a different amount , its why horse and donkey hybrids(mules and hinnies) are usually sterile - they have odd numbers of chromosomes due to their parents differing chromosome amounts. IIRC its only humans which have 46 (unless there is a genetic disorder eg Down's Syndrome).

Lizzae

HSC
Ahh super fantastic.
I ended up saying something about refusal to mate also...and the whole possible sterile offspring.

Thanks heaps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)