I don't do Chemistry for high school...can I still get into Medicine? (1 Viewer)

Seomate

HSC
Hi! I was wondering whether I would still be able to gain access into Medicine at Uni even though I don't do chemistry for my HSC? Thank you! :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, but it might be difficult but nothing that cant be bridged. UNI's (specifically UNSW) care about your UMAT and atar

celadoncity

HSC
Hi! I was wondering whether I would still be able to gain access into Medicine at Uni even though I don't do chemistry for my HSC? Thank you! :)
As far as I know it won't be a problem for you in NSW. Keep in mind that some of the interstate uni's do have chemistry as a prerequisite, but it's nothing a bridging course shouldn't be able to cover.

I would strongly recommend doing a bit of reading up about it though because the concepts are quite important (even where you wouldn't necessarily expect them to be) but as far as applying goes you should be fine!

Good luck!

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
maybe like just buy an excel study guide for chem and work from that after your hsc or just whenever you have free time. you wont be asked specifically in medicine to titrate something (afaik) but it more the fact that you know that acid+base=salt+water and that type of stuff so if a patient has like something wrong with his tummy like heartburn or something dont give him/her something that will aggravate the reaction

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, let's cut the bullshit hearsay.

You don't need to go into medicine knowing high school chemistry, definitely not for the undergrad courses. Obviously the graduate degrees will have the baseline prereqs. I did have a chem background but the stuff you need to know is VERY basic and there won't be anything you need to know in the course, especially foundation stuff like this, that won't be at least somewhat covered by the lectures you'll get. It's nothing you can't catch up on and I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
No u don't have to do chem, it's not a prerequisite it's only recommended.
I know people who did not maths or science for their hsc and went to med school. They did language extensions, english and history.
Just do the bridging courses at uni in the holidays.
Get an atar of 99+ and do really well in the umat (like 95 percentile +)

Medman

HSC
Agreed with Havoc. Know which universities have the pre-requisites for chemistry. I think Adelaide might but they have a variable pre-requisites (You just need to fit two options of a list). Just do some research if you want to apply interstate.

As for chemistry in medicine. Medicine does not have a lot of chemistry and it's something you can learn relatively easily if you can get in.

Futuremedstudent is right maximise your ATAR, UMAT and your interview. Just because you do well in your ATAR and UMAT doesn't MEAN you will automatically get in. I keep saying this I've know people with 99.90+ ATAR and 99%+ UMAT not get into UNSW medicine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)