I got 30 or below UAI. (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
shona1990 said:
TBH, I'd love to study law. Was hoping to get into an arts or socio-legal studies (84.75) at USYD (as 99.55 was out of the question). Might apply later on as a mature age student. The only degree I could get into which I would be remotely interested is a B Science at UWS. Maybe then transfer to USYD/UTS. My sort of back-up was a forensic science course at UTS, which was around 71 from memory... Which I wouldn't get into, with that UAI.
There is always the diploma in law run by the LPAB.
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/lpab/ll_lpab.nsf/pages/lpab_prospective_students_page

Its equivalent to the LLB and I know ppl who transfered into UWS law after a year of doing it. Its requirements for entry are much more flexible

If you hold any of the qualifications listed on the application form you may be eligible to enrol. These include:
• a STAT result of 152;
• a University degree;
• a NSW Higher School Certificate and a UAI of at least 66 or a TER of at least 50 (or a good interstate equivalent); plus an English mark of 70 (ESL) or 60 (Standard/Advanced)
• a University or TAFE college Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Associate Diploma;
• working as a paralegal or legal secretary for at least three years;
• working as a police officer or registered nurse.

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/lpab/ll_lpab.nsf/vwFiles/Pathway%20to%20Legal%20Practice%20New%20Sept%2006.pdf/$file/Pathway%20to%20Legal%20Practice%20New%20Sept%2006.pdf

beentherdunthat

HSC
^ I concur.

There's no point complaining now. Everyone else was in the same situation, and everyone got a fair try. I'm not going to be judgemental, but seriously I can say I worked my ass off for a month for my mark. And not to mention doign my HSC in year 11 as well. Like I think I deserve my mark.

If you didn't try hard enough, then luck isn't going to get you anywhere.

In any case, there's apprenticeships.

hiddenagenda

HSC
GMK said:
The UAI for this year seems to really have screwed up. One of my friends got a band six, and then the rest in 4, and he managed to get a 60% UAI.

I think students generally aren't given enough information about how scaling works. Teachers lie when at the end of year 10 they say 'oh don't worry bout scaling pick the subjects you enjoy' lol. subjects that dont scale crap are the sciences, ext maths/eng... and thats about it. For people who didn't do great in UAI, true that its not the end all, but don't blame the system its very fair and not 'screwed up.'

shona1990

HSC
hiddenagenda said:
I think students generally aren't given enough information about how scaling works. Teachers lie when at the end of year 10 they say 'oh don't worry bout scaling pick the subjects you enjoy' lol. subjects that dont scale crap are the sciences, ext maths/eng... and thats about it. For people who didn't do great in UAI, true that its not the end all, but don't blame the system its very fair and not 'screwed up.'
"sciences" meaning bio, chem and physics. I'm pretty sure senior science scales CRAP. I can imagine earth and envrio would be the same. Am I the only one annoyed by the fact that (from what I've seen) to get bonus points in a science-based course at uni, they only look at marks from chem, physics and bio?
My senior science marks mean nothing. :(

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hiddenagenda said:
That may be true but in the end if you pick science because it scales well and do crap in it scaling wont help you. I know far too many ppl who repeated year 11 because they picked good scaling subjects. Do what you enjoy and are good at, that the best advice I can give and people really should stop focusing on scaling, thats what screws ppl up.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
jimmayyy said:
unfortunately, this years results were the highest ever, which means, thanks to how scaling works at the moment, the best got better while the average got hammered, as you and other people found out.

its a harsh reality of the system we use. hope it works out for you guys.
The scaling was awkward.
I had more "high-scaling" subjects than "low-scaling" subjects and I got an unexpectedly high UAI with an average of mid-Band 5's.
Maybe it's because I was near the top in many subjects.

shona1990 said:
I know what you mean with being happy with your marks, but totally bummed about your UAI.
Legal - 80, senior science - 82, Adv eng - 78, gen maths - 74 and Bio - 74
UAI = 67.15.

I burst into tears. Seriously, I have no idea how the hell I could have ngotten in the 60s. And I'm so sorry if I'm making anyone feel bad for complaining about being in the 60s when some of you guys have it lower. I was REALLY dying for 80. Screw it, I'd have been ecstatic with a 70+. And, like you, I'm fucking SICK of everyone whinging about their 95.
:burn:
Did you rank in the middle in your subjects ?
The 'You and your UAI' documentation said something about people who are ranked around the middle of their subjects received a UAI around 66.
Also you may take into account the scaling of your subjects.

Captain Gh3y said:
the lesson is, never try :D
Somehow it seems logical for some people. =\

somewhereelse said:
This WILL make you guys better people. best to fail at something as insignificant as the HSC (in the long run, its pretty much a non-event) and learn how to pick yourself up from it, than something more important down the track :)

ETA: Don't 30% of the state get 30 and below? I thought thats how it works? It's a rank, right...
There were around 67,000+ students sitting for the HSC this year.
Around 40,000 applied for a UAI.
That means around 12,000 unfortunate individuals received a limited UAI.

p4e81 said:
dont u get into the all rounders only if all ur subs r in the 90s? that 79 isnt gonna reach 90 if it got added 10 to.........
Exactly. Otherwise I'd call myself an all-rounder from my Bands.

shona1990 said:
"sciences" meaning bio, chem and physics. I'm pretty sure senior science scales CRAP. I can imagine earth and envrio would be the same. Am I the only one annoyed by the fact that (from what I've seen) to get bonus points in a science-based course at uni, they only look at marks from chem, physics and bio?
My senior science marks mean nothing. :(
The median mark for Earth and Environmental Science was around Band 5, so the scaling must have been very good.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
UAI doesnt tell you how successful you'll be in the futur, aye? You've got to let this be the next push - because now, all you've got to go on for the future is whatever you've always wanted to be - I don't mean like lawyer/doctor/career bs - I mean everybody always dreamt of being something, riiighhtt?? Now, you've got an outright chance to go all for it! siff uai's gonna stop you! (leastways, you better not let it stop you!)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
shona1990 said:
I know what you mean with being happy with your marks, but totally bummed about your UAI.
Legal - 80, senior science - 82, Adv eng - 78, gen maths - 74 and Bio - 74
UAI = 67.15.

I burst into tears. Seriously, I have no idea how the hell I could have ngotten in the 60s. And I'm so sorry if I'm making anyone feel bad for complaining about being in the 60s when some of you guys have it lower. I was REALLY dying for 80. Screw it, I'd have been ecstatic with a 70+. And, like you, I'm fucking SICK of everyone whinging about their 95.
:burn:
LPAB.

krayzie_

HSC
shona1990 said:
TBH, I'd love to study law. Was hoping to get into an arts or socio-legal studies (84.75) at USYD (as 99.55 was out of the question). Might apply later on as a mature age student. The only degree I could get into which I would be remotely interested is a B Science at UWS. Maybe then transfer to USYD/UTS. My sort of back-up was a forensic science course at UTS, which was around 71 from memory... Which I wouldn't get into, with that UAI.
Stick with your plan at the moment, but when you do a degree do any that you may find interesting. UTS has the new Juris Doctor coming out next year, it replaced the Masters of Law and Legal Practice. Conditions i remember are a university degree in an area OTHER then law and some other shit but I can't remember. Basically if you still want to do law you can and it will be at a higher level and will get you recognised by the supreme court and you will be a lawyer =D

KaLibuR

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Like I think I deserve my mark.

If you didn't try hard enough, then luck isn't going to get you anywhere.

In any case, there's apprenticeships.
Anyone feel free to step in here if I'm out of line, but it seems this topic is getting ... well ... off-topic. This thread was created by a student who got less than 30, and for others to talk about their low marks. Why the hell would you come on here and tell us we didn't do well enough, that we didn't work hard enough?

Perhaps we didn't earn a good mark because we didn't work hard enough, but did it ever occur to you that some people here didn't get a good mark because they weren't smart enough? Weren't smart enough compared to the rest of the state, compared to people who did a harder subject?

You may think it's lame to start a thread complaining about our marks, but if you want to come in here and start flaming us and telling us that you're better than all the people in here because you worked for a month and got an alright mark, then bugger off. We've already gone off-topic talking about scaling, and that's been predicted, but don't come on here thinkin ur all high and mighty.

Not that I'm predicting this person to ever read this thread again but it had to be said. Hundreds of people are now having to change their options, look for alternate education and most likely alternate accomodation where they can find that education, and we got people on here sayin' we didn't try hard enough. Grow up.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Caution123 said:
FUCK FUCK! I only got 89.05 my asian parents are going to crucify me!
挑剔自己了。他们会原谅*随着时间的推移。但愿*有兄弟或姐妹的人更聪明,比*的。

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
somewhereelse said:
This WILL make you guys better people. best to fail at something as insignificant as the HSC (in the long run, its pretty much a non-event) and learn how to pick yourself up from it, than something more important down the track :)
Damn straight.

ETA: Don't 30% of the state get 30 and below? I thought thats how it works? It's a rank, right...
No. It IS a rank, and it is based on percents, but it follows a bell curve, so the closer to 1 and 100 you get, the smaller the percent of the population with each that mark. 66 is the middle of the bell curve I believe (and what largest amount of people get).

SovietSupremacy

HSC
I recieved two band fives (Modern History, Information Technology), an E3 (History Extension) a Band Four (Business Studies) and two band threes (English Advancd, German Beginners)

I ended up with UAI 64.60

Cut-off for my preffered course was 65 =(

however, my E3 in History extension gives me a +10 bonus at University of Western Sydney, so I should still make it into there, and worst to worst I can shoot for a transfer course from a straight arts (I wanted to do International Relations at GU).

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
p4e81 said:
dont u get into the all rounders only if all ur subs r in the 90s? that 79 isnt gonna reach 90 if it got added 10 to.........
i think you need 10units ?

maybe the first five marks were 2u each =]

Doomah

HSC
30% of people do get UAI <30.

but of those 30% about 20% or so of students dont receive a UAI at all because they dont qualify, most of these are the coconuts who never did a math subject. (because you need an English, Maths and Humanity subject to obtain a UAI)

so technically only around 10% of people actually receive a UAI of <30

Last edited:

undalay

HSC
Doomah said:
30% of people do get UAI <30.

but of those 30% about 20% or so of students dont receive a UAI at all because they dont qualify, most of these are the coconuts who never did a math subject. (because you need an English, Maths and Humanity subject to obtain a UAI)

so technically only around 10% of people actually receive a UAI of <30
That's not how it works at all. The only compulsary is 2units of english.
You can have the rest as maths/science without humanities if you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)