I have 14 Units - which one would you advise me to drop? (1 Viewer)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I enjoy all of my subjects, though I would like to drop a subject that would be the hardest to study for or would take up the most study time compared to my other subjects (with my marks in each subject also taken into consideration). I would rather not drop any of my English extension subjects or social sciences, but all advice is appreciated.

End of year exam marks (yr 11)
----------------------------------

English Advanced: 86% (3rd in year)
English Extension: 95% (1st in year)
Legal Studies: 86% (1st in year)
Economics: 85% (3rd in year)
Chemistry: 51% (slightly below average of year)
Maths 2 Unit: 30% (below average of year)
Biology: 72% (above average of year)

*Note: I expect my overall report marks will be roughly 5-10% higher in most subjects compared these results (higher marks for essays, assessments, etc).

I have already taken up English Ext 2.

Should I keep 14 units? Or definitely drop? If I were to drop something, it would either be Chemistry or Maths, but I'm unsure of which would be harder to study for overall considering my current marks.

Thanks everyone. I've asked this question awhile before, but I just want fresh opinions with my new marks.

Last edited:

Cerry

HSC
Just so you know, extension 2 is a HUGE time eater - I have a bunch of friends who really enjoyed it, but in the end, I'm pretty glad it didn't end up running at my school.
If I were you, I'd be dropping maths, unless you'll need it for what you want to do after school. Chemistry is a bitch, but you're scraping by at the moment, which is more than a lot of year 12 chem students can say. In all fairness, lots of people bomb out in maths, too, but if you're going to drop something, it make sense to drop something you're not doing well in, unless there's something that you truly hate.

If you're in doubt now, you can always keep subjects for a while, and drop them later. In fact, you can drop up until something like 2 days before the final HSC exam if you want, but you can't pick something up easily. It's not that unusual for people to go into year 12 with more than 10 units, and drop some later - usually at the end of first term or after trials.

chltmddus112

HSC
Why don't you drop both maths and chemistry. Then you will be able to spend

more time on the subjects u are doin well. And maths takes quite a lot of time =/

OliverQ

HSC
maths is definately the one to be scrapped i reckon

it does alot of time and CONSISTENT effort and study to make sure you know what your doing

chemistry is difficult but at least it has clear dot points which make it easier to study for

ultimately choose which ever you're motivated in and feel you have the capability to improve in and your teachers can really make a difference so if your maths teacher cant teach for crap drop the muthaf...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Maths 2U, I think. Even Chemistry.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
I would not take up ext2 english. You have no idea how much time it would take up, for comparitively little gain.

samburnsy

HSC
Hi
well like me, in my preliminary exams for maths 2U i didnt do overly well, then after i was worrying about dropping down to general and getting scaled downwards for my uai, although when i went to the careers councilor at school, i talked to her about my options and the main thing i was pleased to hear was that even if you end up getting 60% in maths 2U advanced, it is still better to get 85% + in general maths because it scales very similarly

hope that helped u with ur decision a little bit

cheers sam

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I'd recommend you drop chemistry, though totally up to you, just drop whatever yopu think youre not gonna apply urself to, taking up english ex 2 was a good idea though

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
jasonml said:
I would not take up ext2 english. You have no idea how much time it would take up, for comparitively little gain.
You would know since you've done it?
One of my cousins did it and he also went quite qell in it. It doesnt take up much time in the scheme of things but he did say it should be worth 2 units for the amount of work you need to do for it, just think of it as a 2 unit subject and you can go from there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)