I moved from Advanced Mathematics to Standard Mathematics and idk if I regret it now... (1 Viewer)

hafsah_

HSC
Hello,

For the record, the subjects I did in Prelim were:
- Advanced Maths (more of) and Standard Maths (less of)
- Advanced English
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Business
- SOR II

My HSC subjects are:
- Standard II Maths
- Advanced English
- Biology
- Business
- SOR II (probably my worst rn in Y12)

In Year 11, I did Advanced Maths for the majority of the 3 terms and my marks weren't the best but I was just passing (50s and 60s). At some point I found it too difficult to stay so I moved to Standard II Maths and this was a few weeks before the Prelims. Now, on my Year 11 Report, it doesn't show that I moved from Advanced to Standard; it just shows my Term 1, 2, and 3 as the 50s and 60s and it wasn't averaged to a Standard Maths score so it appears that I did really bad in 'Standard Maths' when the marks were really Advanced Maths marks.

My point is that I'm looking to do something in the medical field during my tertiary education in Uni, maybe pharmacy which I've been leaning towards for the past 2 years now, but I'm not 100% confident about that yet. The subjects which I'm strong in are Standard Maths (y12 mark), English Advanced (y11 rank), and Business Studies (across y11) and I live in Western Sydney if that helps in any way. Sometimes, I wish I had stayed but I knew that it would sabotage my ATAR so I moved but I don't know if I regret not staying.

I'm not sure if Uni's will accept that I don't do Advanced Maths and the fact that I dropped Chemistry, leaving the only Science subject I do as Biology. Does anyone here happen to know if Unis such as Western Sydney, UNSW, USYD, UTS, Macquarie, etc. still accept without meeting the prerequisite? What if the student meets the ATAR Requirement? Is there a specific pathway around it? Do I need to do a bridging course?

Sorry if my message sounds really abrupt, to the point and lengthy, but it's hitting me that I'll be in Uni in around a year, and despite me having a lot on my plate already, it's better to be aware than be delusional about it yk. Thank you so much for anyone who helps. I wish you all the best.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
my friend actually got into pharmacy at usyd so i can only speak for that uni, but the only science subject she did was bio as well, and chemistry is assumed knowledge meaning its not necessary but u may struggle. Its fine if ur doing standard now because u can do a bridging course/some thing i forgot the name at usyd and u can still get an offer

and since ur in the western sydney region u may be eligible for this scheme called mysydney which reduces the atar requirement

lolcti

HSC
N/A
Hello,

- Advanced English
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Business
- SOR II

My HSC subjects are:
- Standard II Maths
- Advanced English
- Biology
- Business

In Year 11, I did Advanced Maths for the majority of the 3 terms and my marks weren't the best but I was just passing (50s and 60s). At some point I found it too difficult to stay so I moved to Standard II Maths and this was a few weeks before the Prelims. Now, on my Year 11 Report, it doesn't show that I moved from Advanced to Standard; it just shows my Term 1, 2, and 3 as the 50s and 60s and it wasn't averaged to a Standard Maths score so it appears that I did really bad in 'Standard Maths' when the marks were really Advanced Maths marks.

My point is that I'm looking to do something in the medical field during my tertiary education in Uni, maybe pharmacy which I've been leaning towards for the past 2 years now, but I'm not 100% confident about that yet. The subjects which I'm strong in are Standard Maths (y12 mark), English Advanced (y11 rank), and Business Studies (across y11) and I live in Western Sydney if that helps in any way. Sometimes, I wish I had stayed but I knew that it would sabotage my ATAR so I moved but I don't know if I regret not staying.

I'm not sure if Uni's will accept that I don't do Advanced Maths and the fact that I dropped Chemistry, leaving the only Science subject I do as Biology. Does anyone here happen to know if Unis such as Western Sydney, UNSW, USYD, UTS, Macquarie, etc. still accept without meeting the prerequisite? What if the student meets the ATAR Requirement? Is there a specific pathway around it? Do I need to do a bridging course?

Sorry if my message sounds really abrupt, to the point and lengthy, but it's hitting me that I'll be in Uni in around a year, and despite me having a lot on my plate already, it's better to be aware than be delusional about it yk. Thank you so much for anyone who helps. I wish you all the best.
It's really not as a big if a deal as you make it with the maths prerequisite, the only uni requiring you to do maths advanced prerequisite is usyd and for that you can take the MOOC test to make up for it. For other universities I.e unsw, uts, macquarie it can be considered as assumed knowledge, which means you have to take a bridging course or learn yourself and honesltly speaking as long as it doesn't say math ext 1 (which shouldn't be the case unless you're doing engineeyou can be fine with it, math advanced is pretty easy imo. Fr chem you might struggle but as long as you put hard work into it, it'll be fine..

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
Hello,

- Advanced English
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Business
- SOR II

My HSC subjects are:
- Standard II Maths
- Advanced English
- Biology
- Business

Random, but no way that you had the same subjects as me in Y11...

hafsah_

HSC
my friend actually got into pharmacy at usyd so i can only speak for that uni, but the only science subject she did was bio as well, and chemistry is assumed knowledge meaning its not necessary but u may struggle. Its fine if ur doing standard now because u can do a bridging course/some thing i forgot the name at usyd and u can still get an offer

and since ur in the western sydney region u may be eligible for this scheme called mysydney which reduces the atar requirement
How is she finding it so far? Is she going okay with it or is she finding it a bit hard??

Thanks anyways

hafsah_

HSC
It's really not as a big if a deal as you make it with the maths prerequisite, the only uni requiring you to do maths advanced prerequisite is usyd and for that you can take the MOOC test to make up for it. For other universities I.e unsw, uts, macquarie it can be considered as assumed knowledge, which means you have to take a bridging course or learn yourself and honesltly speaking as long as it doesn't say math ext 1 (which shouldn't be the case unless you're doing engineeyou can be fine with it, math advanced is pretty easy imo. Fr chem you might struggle but as long as you put hard work into it, it'll be fine..
Even though I did 5.3 Maths in Year 9 and 10, I kinda now realise that Maths Advanced wasn't that hard. I think it's just the fact that I was overblown with so many new concepts I lowkey gave up. And the fact I didn't do any homework, what else should I have expected.

Anyways, thanks so muchh

hafsah_

HSC
Random, but no way that you had the same subjects as me in Y11...
HAHAHAHA twinninggg

Did you find it hard tho 😭 ?? Like for me, I LOVED chemistry and I tried hard for it but I didn't do well because I wasn't prepared for the questions enough.

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
HAHAHAHA twinninggg

Did you find it hard tho 😭 ?? Like for me, I LOVED chemistry and I tried hard for it but I didn't do well because I wasn't prepared for the questions enough.
I personally love my subject combination, but the one subject I hated, that most know of, is Mathematics. Horrible. Now I have a hatred for English... It makes me want to speak another language for the rest of my life ;-;

Chemistry is actually one of my favourite subjects so I did well in Year 11 and continue to do so in Year 12. Chemistry is one of the few subjects that I find has everything linked together nicely.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
I personally love my subject combination, but the one subject I hated, that most know of, is Mathematics. Horrible. Now I have a hatred for English... It makes me want to speak another language for the rest of my life ;-;

Chemistry is actually one of my favourite subjects so I did well in Year 11 and continue to do so in Year 12. Chemistry is one of the few subjects that I find has everything linked together nicely.
Maybe you'd have loved mathematics if you did 3u and 4u cuz genuinely 2u is boring as heck

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello,

- Advanced English
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Business
- SOR II

My HSC subjects are:
- Standard II Maths
- Advanced English
- Biology
- Business

The only medical disciplines which really mandate high levels of math ability are fields like epidemiology, medical research, medical physics, and medical engineering (along with a handful of others). By taking standard you are essentially preventing yourself access from these programs in your first year of university, you would need to enter a different program and transfer across once prerequisite subjects were successfully completed.

Medical Practice, Nursing, Pharmacy, Psychology, Radiography, etc should all still be fine (assuming you are able to do sufficiently well in your remaining subjects to meet the ATAR requirement and you can pass UCAT or other special entry tests).

Standard 2 is a nice course, but not a particularly rigorous course, consequently in any of the STEM degrees (for which you meet the entry requirements) you may find that your personal mathematical ability is a little bit below the rest of the cohort, which while not terrible means you may need to work a little harder when quantitative topics arise in your first few years of uni.

As a general rule, universities prefer students to have done advanced English (or above) and advanced math (or above), it's sometimes a fixed requirement especially at the ivy league universities, but mostly a general preference. This is because research has shown graduation rates, within particular faculties, are positively correlated to chosen HSC courses (A student who has completed Extension1/2 in their 11-12 years with the highest band has graduation probability (from an engineering degree) of 90%+, whereas students who completed standard/general in their 11-12 years have probabilities of around 20%).

Medical field programs occasionally are often going to have requirements including Advanced math and Chem, for example UNSW (Vision science, pharmaceutical medicine, Exercise science, etc) and Macquarie (recommends Adv Math/chem for Medical Science and Chiropractic Science, and recommends Adv Math Speech and Hearing). The requirements are placed on some programs and not onto others.

This means when you are applying for medical field programs you need to make sure you are actually eligible for that individual program, once you are in the stage where you are applying and you are looking at particular programs you can sometimes find the requirements on the university websites and if they choose not to list them you can simply call or email the university admission departments and inquire. I can tell you that you should really not take the recommended studies recommendation lightly, the lecturers will have been told that all students have done that content, and the classes will not slow down for the students who can't do it.

hafsah_

HSC

It's so stressful for WHAT 😪

I wish you the best for Year 12.

hafsah_

HSC
The only medical disciplines which really mandate high levels of math ability are fields like epidemiology, medical research, medical physics, and medical engineering (along with a handful of others). By taking standard you are essentially preventing yourself access from these programs in your first year of university, you would need to enter a different program and transfer across once prerequisite subjects were successfully completed.

Medical Practice, Nursing, Pharmacy, Psychology, Radiography, etc should all still be fine (assuming you are able to do sufficiently well in your remaining subjects to meet the ATAR requirement and you can pass UCAT or other special entry tests).

Standard 2 is a nice course, but not a particularly rigorous course, consequently in any of the STEM degrees (for which you meet the entry requirements) you may find that your personal mathematical ability is a little bit below the rest of the cohort, which while not terrible means you may need to work a little harder when quantitative topics arise in your first few years of uni.

As a general rule, universities prefer students to have done advanced English (or above) and advanced math (or above), it's sometimes a fixed requirement especially at the ivy league universities, but mostly a general preference. This is because research has shown graduation rates, within particular faculties, are positively correlated to chosen HSC courses (A student who has completed Extension1/2 in their 11-12 years with the highest band has graduation probability (from an engineering degree) of 90%+, whereas students who completed standard/general in their 11-12 years have probabilities of around 20%).

Medical field programs occasionally are often going to have requirements including Advanced math and Chem, for example UNSW (Vision science, pharmaceutical medicine, Exercise science, etc) and Macquarie (recommends Adv Math/chem for Medical Science and Chiropractic Science, and recommends Adv Math Speech and Hearing). The requirements are placed on some programs and not onto others.

This means when you are applying for medical field programs you need to make sure you are actually eligible for that individual program, once you are in the stage where you are applying and you are looking at particular programs you can sometimes find the requirements on the university websites and if they choose not to list them you can simply call or email the university admission departments and inquire. I can tell you that you should really not take the recommended studies recommendation lightly, the lecturers will have been told that all students have done that content, and the classes will not slow down for the students who can't do it.
Yeah I agree that Standard 2 isn't really a good course. It includes concepts that I believe don't relate to Maths at all sometimes eg. Network Concepts. I wish I had made a wiser choice in my Year 11 subjects choice selections but I'll try my best in Year 12 with what I have 💪😭

Thank you so much.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
Yeah I agree that Standard 2 isn't really a good course. It includes concepts that I believe don't relate to Maths at all sometimes eg. Network Concepts. I wish I had made a wiser choice in my Year 11 subjects choice selections but I'll try my best in Year 12 with what I have 💪😭

Thank you so much.
bruh just cuz they're not related to the other topics doesn't mean networks aren't related to math

There's only one student in my grade who does mx1 and mx2 and he says that it is way more interesting than advanced maths.
2u is hella boring the only reason i studied for it was so i didn't beat myself up for failing (ego basically)
3u is meh but 4u is very pogchamp

hafsah_

HSC
bruh just cuz they're not related to the other topics doesn't mean networks aren't related to math

2u is hella boring the only reason i studied for it was so i didn't beat myself up for failing (ego basically)
3u is meh but 4u is very pogchamp
What I mean by it not 'relating' to maths is that since Year 9 and Year 10 5.3 Maths and Year 11 Advanced; I've always been used to Algebra, Logarithms, Calc, Trig, those sorts of concepts. I wasn't ready to see shapes and count the degrees of each vertex, to learn about paths and cycles?? It's pretty easy but there's too much memorising sometimes.

I always found maths okay and the majority of the time, I performed well but what happened in Year 11 was that the school brought in a prac teacher and he wasn't teaching properly and my Maths teacher was grading him of course. I had a chat with my maths teacher and she said that it was not her choice and as much as she tried to have him teach the other grades, the school didn't let. So when we were going over the topic of functions, we were disadvantaged and that topic goes a long way in Year 11 Adv so the majority of us got bad grades and it continued to topple down, so a lot of people moved to Standard, me being one of them. If we didn't have him, I'd probably still be in that class.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
What I mean by it not 'relating' to maths is that since Year 9 and Year 10 5.3 Maths and Year 11 Advanced; I've always been used to Algebra, Logarithms, Calc, Trig, those sorts of concepts. I wasn't ready to see shapes and count the degrees of each vertex, to learn about paths and cycles?? It's pretty easy but there's too much memorising sometimes.

I always found maths okay and the majority of the time, I performed well but what happened in Year 11 was that the school brought in a prac teacher and he wasn't teaching properly and my Maths teacher was grading him of course. I had a chat with my maths teacher and she said that it was not her choice and as much as she tried to have him teach the other grades, the school didn't let. So when we were going over the topic of functions, we were disadvantaged and that topic goes a long way in Year 11 Adv so the majority of us got bad grades and it continued to topple down, so a lot of people moved to Standard, me being one of them. If we didn't have him, I'd probably still be in that class.
i think ik what school u go to

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)