I NEED 2U maths for Psychology degree? Or is General is better for statistics prep.? (1 Viewer)

3Lachlan2

HSC
Basically I want this to be my last thread on this topic. We have gathered that it says 'Mathematics' on uni recommended courses for the psychology degree. We know that this means 2 unit, but what I don't understand (from what people have told me) is why it says this. 2 unit has no statistics in it?... and has a bulk of calculus which is useless to the required maths for psych, which ive been told is statistics. General Maths largely covers statistics, so why should I do a course (2 unit) that isn't preparing me for my desired uni course, and may not give me a better ATAR compared to if I scored in the 90s in General. This is not about me not coping with advanced, because i am... this is about the principal of doing a subject that will help later in life. As I continue to tell you, I want someone to weigh this up for me because I come to a conclusion that general will be best. I want quality answers backed up please, that way (much to your liking) Bored of Studies will not be seeing any more of these threads, if u comment (conclude) well enough that is. Thankyou.

bec_peace

HSC
Re: I NEED 2U maths for Psychology degree? Or is General is better for statistics pre

Basically I want this to be my last thread on this topic. We have gathered that it says 'Mathematics' on uni recommended courses for the psychology degree. We know that this means 2 unit, but what I don't understand (from what people have told me) is why it says this. 2 unit has no statistics in it?... and has a bulk of calculus which is useless to the required maths for psych, which ive been told is statistics. General Maths largely covers statistics, so why should I do a course (2 unit) that isn't preparing me for my desired uni course, and may not give me a better ATAR compared to if I scored in the 90s in General. This is not about me not coping with advanced, because i am... this is about the principal of doing a subject that will help later in life. As I continue to tell you, I want someone to weigh this up for me because I come to a conclusion that general will be best. I want quality answers backed up please, that way (much to your liking) Bored of Studies will not be seeing any more of these threads, if u comment (conclude) well enough that is. Thankyou.
Need 2un Maths

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: I NEED 2U maths for Psychology degree? Or is General is better for statistics pre

General Maths is pretty useless if you're going to Uni, Calculus is needed I think to analyse statistics.

Simo91

HSC

Definitely do 2u. This is coming from someone who did general and is doing stats this sem. It's a pain in the arse and is double the amount of work than someone who did 2u because you have to learn the concepts. stats uses 2u concepts, the only general concepts it uses are mean, median, mode etc. After that, it's all pointless for stats.

HSC

i dont know...but i always thought its how easy you can grasp the concepts and if you could do that for the stuff in 2u maths then you should be moderately able to grasp the concepts in psych

3Lachlan2

HSC

General Maths is pretty useless if you're going to Uni, Calculus is needed I think to analyse statistics.
Can you verify this?

3Lachlan2

HSC

Definitely do 2u. This is coming from someone who did general and is doing stats this sem. It's a pain in the arse and is double the amount of work than someone who did 2u because you have to learn the concepts. stats uses 2u concepts, the only general concepts it uses are mean, median, mode etc. After that, it's all pointless for stats.
What about standard deviation and all those weird symbols. I don't know that, and heard i need it. Its in general but not advanced, in fact theres no data in 2 unit, right?

So your doing a psych degree? if so you could be really helpful so plz respond bak

spence

HSC

It takes maybe an hour to learn standard deviation. It doesn't matter if you haven't done any maths, you'll be fine

izzy88

HSC

I don't study pyschology or maths etc at uni, however...

If 2u mathematics is what is recommended by the university to study Psychology, then I would do 2u mathematics if you are able/competent. They probably know what they are talking about (since they set the university course), so trust them. Whilst it may not seem logical to you, I would generally trust the university and the pysch departments to know what they are talking about regarding their own courses.

Sorry I can't be of further help.

Simo91

HSC

What about standard deviation and all those weird symbols. I don't know that, and heard i need it. Its in general but not advanced, in fact theres no data in 2 unit, right?

So your doing a psych degree? if so you could be really helpful so plz respond bak
SD is easy anyway, whether you do general or 2u. I'm not doing pysch, but have to take stats for business and economics this sem. There isn't any data topics in 2u, but the concepts you learn (calculus, probability etc) help in applying the concepts.

Like others have said, if you can cope with 2u, do it.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC

I did general math and got a HD in stat 1st year in business soo yaaaaa....

It easy if you can understand the question and know how to use the formula they give u...

BTW ANOVA a bitch :p

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC

I'm up to second-year uni statistics for bio, did general maths in HSC, had no problems with first year uni statistics, and so far haven't encountered any situations where I've thought "Wow, I wish I'd done 2U maths."

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC

You've already posted this question in the UNCLE forums. Same answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)