I need a new system (1 Viewer)

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Hi. I need help in finding parts for a new computer. I'll also need a quote for a system like this (not including labour).

I'm thinking of getting a new computer system with the follow parts:

- P4 2.8GHZ 800 (does the 800 thing matter? it costs like $170 more)
- A nice looking tower case that uses more than enough power
- A quiet CD-ROM 52x
- A fast but quiet DVD playing, CD-writer.
- A plain-ol floppy drive
- A flat and thin 17" LCD screen with a small border around the screen. (need an good brand here. how much is the difference between a 17" and a 19"?)
- a logitech or microsoft cordless keyboard and optical mouse package
- A set of Creative speakers. 5.1 would be nice but i need a set that will be more than sufficient for some strong music and gaming.
- A reliable brand for a 120gb HD

Now i need a motherboard, ram, soundcard and vid card but i have no idea of the specs for these things so i'll just outline my intended use.

- For the RAM, i need 1024mb that runs efficient. Do the 400, 433... things make a noticable difference? If so i'll probably need it.

- For the motherboard, i need a reliable brand that can support the RAM above and the CPU speed. I need 4 USB ports and 5 PCI ports and an AGP.

- I need a good video card that can run all of the high graphic games now and still be running these sorts of games for 2-3 more years efficiently. Brand is important because i need to get drivers and stuff like that.

- I need a good sound card that can really make use of those good 5.1 Creative speakers. Again, brand is important for those drivers and stuff.

Ahhh i'm done. I ask for such a system because i need it to last a long time (4-5years). Also, if any of these parts are not good enough to last the duration, please let me know. I'd like the brands to be kinda popular so it's easy to obtain drivers and stuff.

Thank you very much for your help!!

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Have a look at the systems on http://www.cwsydney.com.au
They have some good packages, fairly cheap.

I was looking at the Home Entertainment A system, and thinking of changing some options (I already have nice Altec Lansing speakers, I dont need DVDRW and Windows XP, but i'd want better graphics and sound), but i think i will wait a couple of months to get a computer, until i really need one (Just before uni starts).

Any particular reason why you want creative speakers? Altec Lansing and even Logitech (not the cheapies though) are so much better...

Winston

HSC
Hmm get a 19" LCD, that's what i'm getting soon a 19" Samsung LCD

ae

HSC
firstly, wats your budget?
anyway. just to answer a few of your question,

do get 800FSB, they give an edge over 533FSB
nice looking tower merely is user's choice, but dont anything above $250, with PSU, they not worthed.
there are insignificant difference between noises created by different vendors of CD/DVD-ROM

regarding 17' or 19' inch LCD, it depends if you are a gamer.
if you are, dont get 19' LCD. lower response times and too high resolution.
both cases, you will need a top range gfx card (namely 9800FX) to play the game smoothly except if you prefer smaller resolution (1024*768) which created distortion in image in LCD.

i dont recommend Creative 5.1 speakers, they crappy *i have one* :(
120gb HD, get WD/Seagate
note. Seagate has very good customer service.

RAM, are you intending to overclock? if yes, then memory clock get important.
otherwise, 400 is too slow for 2.8 800, 433 is fine. get GeiL or Corsair (expensive)

MB, Asus/Abit for P4

GFX, already mentioned, get 9800/9800FX. brand --> ATI/Hercules
Asus?

soundcard, tell me which model of speakers you getting, then i will recommend a sound card.

EDIT: this system will cost about $3000-3500 roughly

Last edited:

Fosweb

HSC
Where's the best place to get a system between $1600-1800?

Also: will I ever need to print anything out at uni? Could I survive using the college laser?

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
> Also: will I ever need to print anything out at uni? Could I survive using the college laser?

You'll be fine IF you finish your assignments three weeks in advance. :D

(UTS is dreadful as far as stability goes when assignments are due... The fileservers go down, the printers clog up/become unavailable... *Sigh*)

Fosweb

HSC
Ok, so i'll need a printer too then...

Are these cheap laser printers any good? Like the canon one for $350?

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Aren't Creative speakers good? What about the megaworks ones?
How much are the Logitech ones?

is a roflcopter
HSC
omg someone get a 9800xt and gimme the HL2 voucher gogogo

Huy

HSC
N/A
I hate doing homework for other people, especially when they can research the web for themselves, when there's a sticky for computer sales (online), plenty of websites (in the sticky). It's not as though I don't want to help, it's just that I've done this sort of thing too many times to know where it leads; more questions.

I once made a system for a friend, picked out all the parts, he had a list too, I had to explain everything to him, the benefits, the advantages, what X does, what Y is, why he wants it, why he would want it in the future, how much this part is, brands, types, differences, advantages, disadvantages. By the end of 5-system changes, I simply gave up and told him to do his own research, read for himself, purchase things for himself because ultimately: the decision is yours.

Newbie,

The XT's are too expensive, but last week my brother bought a new video card; ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (which means I get his "old" GeForce 4 Ti4400 - yay for me!). It came with Black Hawk Down, but it's no HL2.

$550 :eek:

is a roflcopter
HSC
yeah i got that one as well
software bundle sucks :D

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
XTs are expensive? My arse they are...

Have a look on ebay, or at one of those computer auctions that have the really old kit like VAX server cabinets et al. Or they might be pushing up the daisies at the local tip by now.

(Acronym reuse - it pisses me off.)

Huy

HSC
N/A
...Radeon 9800 Pro XT's 256MB ones, not the Radeon 9600 XT (which are cheaper), when compared with my purchase above, of the Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)