I need help with my Physics Assignment (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I can't find information for this question:

Describe government's involvement in technology development and explain why government's involvement in technological development occurred more quickly in times of war.

chowm

HSC
The best person to ask would be your teacher. Or is this one of those assignments that are due tomorrow?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
This can't be in a physics course! When are u supposed to learn serious physics.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I can't find information for this question:

Describe government's involvement in technology development and explain why government's involvement in technological development occurred more quickly in times of war.
I don't remember seeing that in the Syllabus, will check again later.

The government gave grants and provided funding for the scientists. They pushed the scientists to advance technology faster than other countries.

Example 1: World War 2
In World War 2, the government started the famous "Manhatten Project" where they used Fermi's nuclear reactor and modified it to create nuclear weapons. The project brought together many scientists who worked to advance nuclear technology, eventually dropping two nuclear weapons in Japan and ending the war.

Okay that example sucked. Too far ahead in the Syllabus as well.

Example 2: The Cold War
Following World War 2, the USA and the USSR began competing to become the world's greatest superpower. As such, the respective governments pushed their scientists to create better technology. This is evident in the 'Space Race' between the two superpowers. The countries competed in space technology, ending with Neil Armstrong's landing on the moon.
It is unlikely that any of this space travel would have been possible for many years without the fierce competition brought about by wartime.

Yeah that example's better.

raniaaa

:)
HSC
i think this is referring to the whole einstein/planck thingo with the nuclear bomb..

youngminii

Banned
HSC
i think this is referring to the whole einstein/planck thingo with the nuclear bomb..
I don't think so. If you read the question, it says "explain why". The whole Einstein/Planck thing didn't advance technology, in fact it probably slowed it down.

raniaaa

:)
HSC
I don't think so. If you read the question, it says "explain why". The whole Einstein/Planck thing didn't advance technology, in fact it probably slowed it down.
i dunno wasn't planck working for hitler (i.e. german government) hence he was put under pressure to quicken any progress. and then einstein felt compelled to warn roosevelt hence speedening the american government's technological progress.

and then explaining why the government's involvement increased during times of war would be due to conflicting morals in regards to the use of science.

anyway i'm not 100% sure but that's the only dotpoint i think it fits in with :eek:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
i dunno wasn't planck working for hitler (i.e. german government) hence he was put under pressure to quicken any progress. and then einstein felt compelled to warn roosevelt hence speedening the american government's technological progress.

and then explaining why the government's involvement increased during times of war would be due to conflicting morals in regards to the use of science.

anyway i'm not 100% sure but that's the only dotpoint i think it fits in with :eek:
I like my Cold War answer.
No, Planck's support for the war caused his friendship with Einstein to drift apart (no cooperation = slower work). Also, the governments didn't allow German scientists to communicate/share work with the American scientists.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Hey could you elaborate a bit more on your cold war answer? It's 4 marks. I can't seem to find much information on the internet.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I don't remember seeing that in the Syllabus, will check again later.

The government gave grants and provided funding for the scientists. They pushed the scientists to advance technology faster than other countries.

Example 1: World War 2
In World War 2, the government started the famous "Manhatten Project" where they used Fermi's nuclear reactor and modified it to create nuclear weapons. The project brought together many scientists who worked to advance nuclear technology, eventually dropping two nuclear weapons in Japan and ending the war.

Okay that example sucked. Too far ahead in the Syllabus as well.

Example 2: The Cold War
Following World War 2, the USA and the USSR began competing to become the world's greatest superpower. As such, the respective governments pushed their scientists to create better technology. This is evident in the 'Space Race' between the two superpowers. The countries competed in space technology, ending with Neil Armstrong's landing on the moon.
It is unlikely that any of this space travel would have been possible for many years without the fierce competition brought about by wartime.

Yeah that example's better.
See, modern is useful :p

Hey could you elaborate a bit more on your cold war answer? It's 4 marks. I can't seem to find much information on the internet.
Mention how they 1st got Sputnik in 1957 - this scared the crap out of the Americans as they were pretty much like "oh no, maybe the communists are better than use because they're so advanced!". So the USA government put heaps of money into space projectes so they could gain the advantage in space. Their 1st attempt to launch a satellite failed miserably - the satellite called "The Vanguard" exploded after a few seconds after launch XD Anyway, the russians got Yuri Gargarian into space etc etc etc but then America untimately won when they reached the moon :)

Last edited:

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

Which dot point is this?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Talk about the nuclear arms race during the Cold War which ultimately lead to the Manhattan Project. That is physics as the Manhattan Project is actually in the HSC Physics syllabus ^^
Depends on whether the OP is doing Quanta. :p

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Actually I'm doing Asytrophysics but I'm pretty sure my Physics teacher won't mind as long as I put some Physics in my assignment.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
My assignment is supposed to be on Space though. I don't think the Manhattan Project has much to do with Space but. Damn assignment is due tommorow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)