I Need Help (1 Viewer)

Bree.Leigh

HSC
Ok so im looking around at all the forums nd stuff nd im noticing that alot of people do alot of studying, particulary in the forum about what people will be doing in the holidays.. Most people mentioned studying.

Term 2 starts next week my half yearlys are in week 4 .. so that gives me just over 4 weeks to go over everythin and to start a study routine .. something that i have never had before.

I aim to get a uai of 90 and i know to make this realistic i have to start studyin and make sure i do it everyday..

has anyone got any tips on how i can start a study routine and keep on top of it ?

all ideas welcome :)

Muz4PM

HSC
First things first, avoid burn out. You are in Year 11, don't put TOO much emphasis on this year as you may experience burn out. The most important thing to get out of Year 11 is the main concepts behind your subjects, especially maths and to learn good study and exam technique.

I think that if you want to get into a routine you should probably construct a 'study timetable' if you don't already have one. What you could do is say do all my assigned homework before dinner, then study an hour or two after dinner, or visa verce, depending on what you are comfortable with. With this plan, you should of course factor in rest time, time for work, sport, friends and other commitments that you may have.

Once you create this study timetable, adhere to it. I have no tips on how to adhere to a study timetable, it is up to you.

Bree.Leigh

HSC
yea one of my teachers mentioned not burning ourselves out ..

thanks for that .. ill def have to make a study timetable

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Bree.Leigh said:
Ok so im looking around at all the forums nd stuff nd im noticing that alot of people do alot of studying, particulary in the forum about what people will be doing in the holidays.. Most people mentioned studying.

Term 2 starts next week my half yearlys are in week 4 .. so that gives me just over 4 weeks to go over everythin and to start a study routine .. something that i have never had before.

I aim to get a uai of 90 and i know to make this realistic i have to start studyin and make sure i do it everyday..

has anyone got any tips on how i can start a study routine and keep on top of it ?

all ideas welcome :)
Hi Bree.Leigh, how are you doing? :wave:

Please don't be pressured by it. There are several people on this forum who promote "words rather than actions". Many end up failing to carry out what they planned. However, planning is good.

So you have exams coming in Week 4? That's a lot of time for you to get prepared!

Let me briefly tell you what to do but you can dismiss them if you see them as irrelevant. Here are the followings:
  1. Study Mathematics & English everyday. I cannot stress this enough. I have talked to tens of Boredofstudies members here and I have advised them to study Mathematics & English everyday. That is because what you learn in Mathematics and English don't get forgotten as easy as in other subjects because Mathematics & English are very skill-based. So study around 1-2 hours for Mathematics and another hour for English
  2. Subjects like Biology, Chemistry and Business Studies are memory-based. Therefore, it is better to make a timetable for each subject that targets each subject. Prepare 3 weeks to 2 weeks prior to exam date. Make sure you cover all the syllabus dot points & memorise all the necessary info. Go over few questions as well. They will give you idea on what kind of exam you can expect.
  3. Be consistent. Even if you finished studying, keep looking over your notes and keep revising. Never let your brain forget anything you have memorised.
  4. Grab as many questions as possible. Doing a lot of questions (particularly in Mathematics) will make sure that you are familiar with your own topic.
  5. Increase your vocabulary. Use thesaurus to find words and memorise them.
  6. Write a lot of practice essays (make sure you time them as well). In exams, you may run out of time, it is important to time as well.
I am running out of tips and adivces. But I am sure I can think of 100 more tips if I think carefully. I will put more up if I can grab more info from my advanced brain network that is so complicated that it prevents me from getting acccess to anything within it (what am I talking about???).

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I'm burnt out. I havn't done anywork since I finnished chem... I've just been playing warcraft III and Assassin's creed on PC. :( I'm a bad example, don't do what I did.

Red-Ink-Frenzy

HSC
Just remember, all you need to do is pass your preliminary subjects.

That said, I would put lots of effort into nailing the prelim Maths courses, as up to 20% of these can be examined in the HSC.

Don't worry too much about Year 11 - if you put in the most effort you can and get fantastic marks, you'll run the risk of exhausting yourself before Year 12 (take it from someone who knows).

With the study timetable, aim for at least 30 mins on each subject per night and remember that you need breaks. If you have trouble sticking to a study timetable, just remember to be realistic. For instance I'm not the type of person to say "I'm going to do 4 hours Chemistry study with one 15 minute break for a Red Bull."

For starters, I don't like Red Bull.

Ok, top tips for last-minute study (which, with 4 weeks and 7 subjects, is what you're doing):

1) Figure out if you're a night or morning person. Save your most intensive study for these times. Remember to get enough sleep.
2) Create cheat-sheets for Maths, Science, Geography and Ancient History - these consist of formulae and little facts you can drop in essays/answers to show that you know something.
3) Syllabus notes. Copy the dot-point into a word document and then synthesise your notes on this point. If you have none, use BOS resources, but rewrite them so they are your own notes, and so you actually think about what you're typing/writing.
4) Read over your notes (for each subject) every night. Even if you just skim them, memory = frequency of exposure. It also helps if you truly think about what you're learning.
5) Don't stress, unless it's productive stress. For instance, I freak out before exams because I work better under pressure. All my friends know this and occasionally laugh at my pre-exam antics, relieving some of their stress.

Hope this helps - if you need help with Adv English, I may be sble to answer specific questions on some texts, so feel free to drop me a line.

SG1991

The crazy volunteer <3
HSC
foram said:
I'm burnt out. I havn't done anywork since I finnished chem... I've just been playing warcraft III and Assassin's creed on PC. :( I'm a bad example, don't do what I did.
Don't worry, you are not the only person who burned out. I burned out of 2 weeks before the holidays. Got back on track for the first 3 days. of the holidays Not all I want to do is volunteer and do more volunteering (I do volunteer work). I try to study and all I do is day dream.......... :(

(I know I sound really dumb.)

Let us burnt outs and former make a BOS club - "The Burned Out Ones"

Red-Ink-Frenzy :- I like your style :)

Bree.Leigh- thank you for starting this topic :::::::D

Deadbeat-x

HSC
Bree.Leigh we're on the same boat =]

My half yearly exams are on Week3 and I haven't started studying yet. :uhoh:

jellybelly59

HSC
lol since you have such a long time till exams... just be consistent in ur study.. half an hour of study a day (lol serz study not whilst watching tv :D) should be good enough for 2 weeks or so and whether u want to increase dat amount of time is ur choice after 2 weeks (depends on how much u remember and understand)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
Please don't be pressured by it. There are several people on this forum who promote "words rather than actions". Many end up failing to carry out what they planned. However, planning is good.
Excellent point made by lyounamu. Rather than stating words, it's hard to actually carry out those words out or put them into actions. I, myself, have trouble with putting my words into actions. But it continues to develop slowly and I'll keep working on it.

So don't be pressured or stressed about how others are studying and you're the only one that is not. There will be others in the same situation thinking the same.

All the best in your exams.

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
Never let your brain forget anything you have memorised.
Haha, I forget just about everything I learnt in history and geography last year :eek: ! Anyone else the same?

Um, Bree; I am sure you will be fine. If you feel like you are not studying enough just get out a book and textbook and start writing a few notes down.

Another hint is to not go overboard...
(1) making your notes - do not make study notes too extensive but not too simplified either - get a balance - answer the syllabus dot point but not how to apply it to an exam type question.
(2) the amount of time you study as people have said should be consistent but again not too much (in order to reduce the risk of burning out). Consistency and continuity is the key. Also, try some different methods too. I find verbal discussions with family member work for remembering facts.

P.S All the best to you.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Also, make sure you understand the content before you start memorising it. For example, don't just mindlessly memorise a formula without understanding and appreciating how each value works.

Muz4PM

HSC
I think burn out is an experience of exhaustion and diminished interest, in work.

selablad

HSC
Aplus said:
Also, make sure you understand the content before you start memorising it. For example, don't just mindlessly memorise a formula without understanding and appreciating how each value works.
Very true! Very important!

Also don't try and study *every* subject *every* day. After doing any assigned homework, I find it easiest to just focus on one or two max subjects a day, and really getting into it. Doing homework exercises for each subject ensures that you don't let yourself just forget the subjects you're not doing that night, but focussing on just one means that you can fully get *into* it. I explained that really badly, oh well :rolleyes:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
bobos2 said:
what does "burned out" mean??
It basically means you've been studying so much and with such a great consistency, that you've blocked out everything around you. Then you start to become tired, lose interest in studying and in turn, your marks and ranking start dropping.

The thing I said about memorising how a formula works, not memorising the formula itself kind of works like this:
"Don't study hard, study smart."

Say you've been studying a subject for 2 hours. At the end of those 2 hours, ask yourself, are you taking in the material and understanding the concepts involved? And how much have you progressed? Most people might say, "I'm going to study really hard." Then they go into their rooms for long periods of time. The thing is, that kind of study is not very effective. Sure you may have studied for a long period of time, but at the end of that period of time, if you haven't made much progression, you've basically done two things: waste precious time, and tire yourself out at the same time.

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Aplus said:
It basically means you've been studying so much and with such a great consistency, that you've blocked out everything around you. Then you start to become tired, lose interest in studying and in turn, your marks and ranking start dropping.

The thing I said about memorising how a formula works, not memorising the formula itself kind of works like this:
"Don't study hard, study smart."

Say you've been studying a subject for 2 hours. At the end of those 2 hours, ask yourself, are you taking in the material and understanding the concepts involved? And how much have you progressed? Most people might say, "I'm going to study really hard." Then they go into their rooms for long periods of time. The thing is, that kind of study is not very effective. Sure you may have studied for a long period of time, but at the end of that period of time, if you haven't made much progression, you've basically done two things: waste precious time, and tire yourself out at the same time.
Good point Aplus! :).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
"Don't study hard, study smart."/quote]

This is the point that I have been trying to make to all people. "Studying hard" alone will get you nowhere.

To everyone who is still confused about how to start & study, I am telling you that you should evaluate your own study method and improve it from there. Everyone has different study method. Even though people take advices I give in regards to studying, they would not work if they are not suitable for my own way of studying. Studying Mathematics and English everyday is an effective way of studying for me, but it may not be for some people. Therefore, I advise everyone to find your own method of studying as it is the only way in which you will "study smart".

However, it is good to modify your study method by listening to others' success stories. However, you have to make sure that your way of studying is similar to his or hers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)