I never get the question, or I always go off topic in essays. What should I do? (1 Viewer)

wheresthefish

HSC
I can write essays quite well.
When it's submission. ;)
I suck so badly at exam essays though.
I've been trying to write timed essays to past questions. I get halfway through and then read over it quickly, only to say "Wow, that's a load of crap that doesn't answer the question." :(
I've read plenty of books and threads on this and the general consensus is: Write a plan before starting. But I ALWAYS run out of time. Should I really risk losing more?

*Baby-K*

HSC
Sometimes I don't understand the question (because English is not my first language) so I try to guess what the question means. I normally pre-prepare my essays and I know heaps of people say- NO DON'T DO THAT, you'll lose marks blah blah blah It was actually when I decided to change my essay in the exam that I lost marks. So what I do is- write an essay which can be twisted to suit the question, practice it, time it and when I get into the exam room quickly, litteraly takin 1 min to write first sentence of each paragraph and start the essay writing as fast as I can.:bomb:

44Ronin

HSC
Just keep thinking

is what I am writing answering the question?

Do enough of that and you will answer the question.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
tutoring. bit late now though. maybe coming up with an outline briefly at the start might help you while you're studying, even though you may not have time to do it in the actual exam.

being unable to twist your ideas to the question suggests an inadequate knowledge/understanding of the text. Do you think you have a good grasp of the underlying themes of your text, not just what happened and some quotes and stuff? Cause in the HSC they're looking more for depth of understanding than anything else.

if you want you can post up some questions and people that have done the topic can help you if you're lucky?

wheresthefish

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
Sometimes I don't understand the question (because English is not my first language) so I try to guess what the question means. I normally pre-prepare my essays
I don't think I could do the whole pre-prepared thing either. If it really DIDN'T fit the question, I would freak out so badly.
I've known for a while that essays in exams involves a certain level of 'bullshit skills' and 'twisting words' and stuff, but I just can't do it.
Whereas most of my other subjects are nice local 'tiered thinking' kind of subjects, in my eyes English is rather like a large scribble.

-Edit-
And for the above, I think I really do get the content. I can analyse all the quotes you want and tell you about journeys and powerplay and whatever else.
It's just that half the time I'm not telling you the stuff you want to hear D:

Last edited:

daxteriscute

HSC
Hello,
Yeah i know i used to have the exact same prob, but what i found really helps to make sure you stay on track and answer the question is this:

Aquality paragraph needs to be PEEELED

p - Point, or topic sentence
E - elaborate,on what you said in your topic sentence GIVE A TECHNIQUE
E - Example, this is where you give a quote
E - Effect, the effect of this quote or technique on the reader, or responder
L - Link, this effect then needs to be linked back to the question

PEEEL, Is then used for each paragraph
HOPE IT HELPS GIVE IT A GO
:wave:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
just look at the question every few sentences. Then ask yourself if you're answering it or not.

HSC
ok i used to have this problem until i realised that essays depending on the eletive are always going to ask to same sorta questions.
for example, no matter how they phrase it journeys essays are also going to ask to the consequences of a journey weather u've learnt something from it or see something clealy now etc.
i have also found a pattern of questions with lear which applied to the trials n hsc questions and it has not failed me yet. the only way to gain this kind of insight is to do practice essays! dont worry about timing yourself, get it right 1st! i.e get ur points in, evident etc (scaffolds are great) then write an essay dont worry about time! once u have written a decent essay (shouldnt be more then 2 pages typed) then time urself doing it.
just remember u dont nessery need a indepth knowledge of what the question is asking just refer to it every now and again in ur concluding sentences and paragraph

good luck ;)

edit: also if u get in there tomorrow and u dont think u understand the question, just read it a couple of times and jot a few small note about (no more then 2-3mins) wat U think its asking you then write what u have prepared .. remember its asking what the journey is, how it is taken 9techniques) and the purpose (consquences)

also ur plan should be rough n taken about 3mins

Last edited:

erm

HSC
honeyissweet25 said:
ok i used to have this problem until i realised that essays depending on the eletive are always going to ask to same sorta questions.
for example, no matter how they phrase it journeys essays are also going to ask to the consequences of a journey weather u've learnt something from it or see something clealy now etc.
i have also found a pattern of questions with lear which applied to the trials n hsc questions and it has not failed me yet. the only way to gain this kind of insight is to do practice essays! dont worry about timing yourself, get it right 1st! i.e get ur points in, evident etc (scaffolds are great) then write an essay dont worry about time! once u have written a decent essay (shouldnt be more then 2 pages typed) then time urself doing it.
just remember u dont nessery need a indepth knowledge of what the question is asking just refer to it every now and again in ur concluding sentences and paragraph

good luck ;)

edit: also if u get in there tomorrow and u dont think u understand the question, just read it a couple of times and jot a few small note about (no more then 2-3mins) wat U think its asking you then write what u have prepared .. remember its asking what the journey is, how it is taken 9techniques) and the purpose (consquences)

also ur plan should be rough n taken about 3mins
please enlighten me...i can't seem to find any pattern...........

one year they ask about characters, the next about relationships....then about two scenes.............v random you need good knowledge of the whole play....

HSC
go beyond what the question is actually says. theres always a common theme with its relevence to contemporary society. take a look again at past questions now ;)

u just need the core themes really not nessery knowledge of the whole play as in an in deapth analysis but it couldnt hurt i suppose.

cli62

HSC
same i cant seem to integrate texts and usually when i do theyre not really related

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)