Hi Φ
HSC
Re: International Baccalaureate Marathon 2016

im just curious lol

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

My legal teacher full roasts us on how dumb we are and how much 'better' the IB kids are and whatnot...

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

The IB is a more rigorous and demanding programme than the NSW HSC.

You can't just pick a group of any subjects that you fancy from a menu of 100 items. If you choose the IB Maths (HL), and opted for the "Calculus" [previously called the 'Series & Differential Equations'], as most schools here do, you have to do: Sequences & Series [and their convergence/divergence, Squeeze Thm, L'Hopital's, etc ], Improper Integrals, Power Series, Maclaurin & Taylor series, Error Term, Radius and Interval of Covergence etc, Differential Equations etc.

The core course includes: vectors, dot and cross product, and Equations (vector, parametric, Cartesian) of a line, a plane , their intersection, solution sets to a set of linear equations in x, y, z.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I think I'll be honest, if you read the Haeese Maths textbooks (which are published in Adelaide), you would say the NSW curriculum is harder.

Let's not kid ourselves, doing an international recognised curriculum you would generally expect the standards to be alot higher.

IB Maths November 2014
Maths Studies Candidates 2455
Maths SL Candidates 4093
Maths HL candidates 1333

IB Maths May 2014
Maths Studies 29,235
Maths SL 38,926
Maths HL 11,484

From what I gather there are two testing seasons one in May and one in November. From what I gather , is that the students in Australia prepare for the November exam. Whereas the Northern Hemisphere counterparts have to prepare for the May.

Australia has the largest intake participation in November according to the IB website with 1916/11125=17.22% candidates participating.

United States of America has the largest intake participation in May according to the IB Website with 73,028/137,330=53.17% candidates participating.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Didn't realise almost 73,000 students in the US do the IB Curriculum, that is alot of students........I thought the Americans had their own preferred testing format which they followed.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I had this general assumption that the IB was a more UK orientated curriculum being implemented worldwide , and had this idea that the majority of the students were from there.

Doing this research tonight, i did a quick ratio of IB students/population, the ratio of US students to UK students taking the IB is 3 times higher.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I had this general assumption that the IB was a more UK orientated curriculum being implemented worldwide , and had this idea that the majority of the students were from there.

Doing this research tonight, i did a quick ratio of IB students/population, the ratio of US students to UK students taking the IB is 4 times higher.
Well you should probably look at the populations of the countries too. I haven't searched up school-age populations, but in terms of overall populations (from memory), US is about 5 times that of UK (and about 60 times that of Australia).

Edit: Oh, it seems your hypothesis was essentially that the UK had the most IB students in terms of raw population (rather than as a proportion of their school population). But still, if a country has a vastly larger population, that could explain why it may have more IB students.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

I think I'll be honest, if you read the Haeese Maths textbooks (which are published in Adelaide), you would say the NSW curriculum is harder.

Let's not kid ourselves, doing an international recognised curriculum you would generally expect the standards to be alot higher.

IB Maths November 2014
Maths Studies Candidates 2455
Maths SL Candidates 4093
Maths HL candidates 1333

IB Maths May 2014
Maths Studies 29,235
Maths SL 38,926
Maths HL 11,484

From what I gather there are two testing seasons one in May and one in November. From what I gather , is that the students in Australia prepare for the November exam. Whereas the Northern Hemisphere counterparts have to prepare for the May.

Australia has the largest intake participation in November according to the IB website with 1916/11125=17.22% candidates participating.

United States of America has the largest intake participation in May according to the IB Website with 73,028/137,330=53.17% candidates participating.
I don't know what is meant by this. I'd guess in the U.S. less than 1 in 100 does the IB; maybe 1 in 500. In NSW, last year, maybe less than 500 opted for the IB, over the HSC.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

So I did a quick calculation
(m)= millions of people
US Students Enrolled in IB (May) /Total Population =73028/318.9 m= 228.99 per m

UK Students Enrolled in IB (May)/Total Population = 4828/64.1 m= 75.31 per m

Aus Students Enrolled in IB (Nov)/Total Population =1916/23.13 m =82.84 per m

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

So I did a quick calculation
(m)= millions of people
US Students Enrolled in IB (May) /Total Population =73028/318.9 m= 228.99 per m

UK Students Enrolled in IB (May)/Total Population = 4828/64.1 m= 75.31 per m

Aus Students Enrolled in IB (Nov)/Total Population =1916/23.13 m =82.84 per m
So basically (making the approximating assumption that these countries all have roughly same proportion of their total population be of Year 12 (or equivalent) age), the US has a larger ratio of its students doing the IB compared to UK (and also Australia). Were you expecting UK to have the higher proportion?

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

So basically (making the approximating assumption that these countries all have roughly same proportion of their total population be of Year 12 (or equivalent) age), the US has a larger ratio of its students doing the IB compared to UK (and also Australia). Were you expecting UK to have the higher proportion?
Yeah that was my assumption. I was totally wrong there.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Largest Growth Rates in the DP Exam takers from 2005 to 2014: UAE, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Netherlands, Indonesia, Turkey

Seems like the more of the Asian nations are developing an interest in the curriculum as well. People talk about the Australian curriculum being behind worldwide standards, I can totally understand the reason now why parents, students choose the IB over HSC.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

Compared to what: Maths General 2, 2U, Ext 1 and Ext 2? I don't agree the HSC is harder except Ext 2 is quite challenging. But look at the Option Paper - 1st Yr University stuff. Also you may be interested to know there is also the IB Further Maths subject comprising all the HL options: Calculus (not your usual high school calculus), Discrete Maths, Sets, Relations & Groups and Statistics & Probability, (Advanced Euclidean) Geometry. I wonder if any student last year put up his/her hand for this subject - heard there was one from Trinity Grammar.

By the way: the Haese books are very well written so that a lot of stuff are explained very clearly. Maybe the exercises are not that challenging.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I tutored 1 student from MLC School last year, but I only lasted 1 lesson, I think I came a bit unprepared, I feel like I had a pretty good tutoring session with her but for her parents were maybe a bit picky on me. (Not sure if I should say that on this forum as I mightwreck my reputation)

I had 2 students from PLC in Western Australia doing the IB SL, the Haeese books though I feel can only get up to around a high Band 5/Band 6...............I think you need to purchase the other set Oxford/Cambridge to get into Band 7 as well as do many exam papers (which are readily available online). The two students also flew over to Melbourne to have their revision seminars over there, as the IB is only offered I think at 8 schools over in WA (due to demand there aren't that many revision courses over there).

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

C. Maybe the exercises are not that challenging.
I think this statement is true. The Haeese books are very well written, maybe its because I haven't gone through most of the questions or have never sat the IB, but I do feel like the difficulty is not as the same as the Cambridge text book.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

I think this statement is true. The Haeese books are very well written, maybe its because I haven't gone through most of the questions or have never sat the IB, but I do feel like the difficulty is not as the same as the Cambridge text book.
A couple of years ago, the new Oxford text had quite a few errors. As for the Cambridge text (Dolan, Neill & Quadling), I don't like the typeface, layout and the writing style - reminiscent of the textbooks I grew up with: dry & boring and ugly. Today, with the benefits of new computer typesetting and fantastic graphics, new books can take advantage of these, making them a joy to follow.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

^^^ I'm not sure if your referring to the same Cambridge text I am using. This one is by Fannon, Kadelburg,Wooley and Ward

This is a highly recommended text in my opinion.

I like the presentation, very similar to the HSC Cambridge Extension style, the Red = Band 7, Blue = Band 5/6, Green= Band 4 and anything not highlighted is considered to be Preparatory Questions. The student knows where they are after every question. Here is a bit of an overview:

Anyway its all good have many books but as a tutor I have to go through the questions and understand the key formulae used for every question. There is alot of overlap with the HSC maths but currently tutoring one SL student, I don't want to be any hesitant in my explanations e.g they use the notation when describing an arithmetic progression. Just little things like that, I want to be sure of. (in HSC they write it

It is a UK book and I know 3 of those 4 authors are Cambridge educated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)