IB or atar? (1 Viewer)

RottenPanda

HSC
I have a friend who is doing an IB and he says its better than getting an atar. What is the IB and how does it work? ive looked up a bit on it, but i dont know what you do. is anyone doing an IB or know what an IB is able to tell me what the pros and cons are?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a friend who is doing an IB and he says its better than getting an atar. What is the IB and how does it work? ive looked up a bit on it, but i dont know what you do. is anyone doing an IB or know what an IB is able to tell me what the pros and cons are?
The IB is the equivalent of an hsc, except it is used globally for university entry. The Atar is a university undergraduate entry score which is provided in Australia to students whom study the HSC.

Here is a good article on it. >> http://thevertcitron.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/ib-its-pros-and-cons/

The only con is that, it is highly demanding....

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Saying "IB is better than getting an ATAR" isn't really correct, at Australian universities IB results from local students are converted into an ATAR from my understanding anyway. For some people, doing the IB may seem "better" than doing a HSC/VCE/Whatever but that's up to personal opinion. People who have completed the HSC (or other states equivalent) can still apply to overseas unis if they want, might have to sit SATs as well. I'm not sure - haven't looked into that in detail.

enoilgam

HSC
The IB is more for people who want to study overseas and to a lesser extent those who prefer the content of IB to the HSC. If you want to go to an Australian uni, I would just stick the HSC personally.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
From what I heard:

IB --> more of self study course, generally hard than HSC, you gotta pick a subject from different "lines", if you pick IB prepare for a load of work if you want to do well.

HSC --> help readily available, easier than IB, subject of choice is based on what your school supports

For IB if i recall correctly, there is no rankings system and it's just a mark, so technically everyone can get full marks, not saying that it will happen though :L (don't quote me on this, unsure)

EDIT: and yeahh forgot to mention, IB is recognised around the world whereas HSC and ATAR is recognised domestically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)