ICAS Mathematics Competition (1 Viewer)

lightingbolt

HSC
N/A
In last year's ICAS yr 11, time management was an issue even though I enjoyed maths... I'd expect that it would be the same in this year's paper *I small Omed in this thread*
haha, I just wanted to point out, how dame you are, this is further proved by your wrong grammar and spelling in the statement: " I small Omed in this thread" this shows Recondit, being a piece of shit, who can't spell.

You garmmar mistake is underlined bold:

Web Addict

HSC
lol, he is just refering to himself as being a dame shit!

One then you, everyone will be working under me, I will be a doctor,, give all you guys bad medicine and kill you. (I AM BACK)
haha, I just wanted to point out, how dame you are, this is further proved by your wrong grammar and spelling in the statement: " I small Omed in this thread" this shows Recondit, being a piece of shit, who can't spell.

You garmmar mistake is underlined bold:
LOL. Wtf? You changed his post in your reply. Have you checked your grammar by the way? It seems way worse than anyone I've seen in high school. Good luck becoming a doctor with that grammar.

Last edited:

jihad1234

HSC
Hi, I did the ICAS Maths today and I am fairly confident on all the questions except 4. I would really appreciate any help on these...

1) On a 6 sided standard dice, the numbers of opposite faces add up to 7. For example if one side shows 3, the opposite side shows 4. Sue has a 27 standard dice which she stacks to form a 3x3x3 cube. She then adds all the numbers of the outside faces of her large cube. What is the smallest possible sum Sue can get? (I got 94)

2) A speedboat towing a skier drives in a full circle with a 42m diameter. It takes 10 seconds to complete the circle. The skier takes the same amount of time to complete a larger circle with diameter 56m. How much faster than the speedboat does the skier travel to the nearest km per hour?

3) How many triangles of any size are in this diagram? Link: http://puzzlersworld.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/how-many-triangles-in-this-hexagon.gif
(Possible options: 13, 17, 37, 43 - I guessed 43 but there are definitely more than 17)

4. Edward paints a fence in 12 hours. Danny paints 60% faster than Edward. How much time would Danny need to paint the same fence?
(Possible options: 8hr, 7hr 30min, 7hr 12min, 4hr 48min - I got 7hr 30min but I suspect it is wrong)

Thank you so much for your time, it is really appreciated! :)

Web Addict

HSC
Hi, I did the ICAS Maths today and I am fairly confident on all the questions except 4. I would really appreciate any help on these...

1) On a 6 sided standard dice, the numbers of opposite faces add up to 7. For example if one side shows 3, the opposite side shows 4. Sue has a 27 standard dice which she stacks to form a 3x3x3 cube. She then adds all the numbers of the outside faces of her large cube. What is the smallest possible sum Sue can get? (I got 94)

2) A speedboat towing a skier drives in a full circle with a 42m diameter. It takes 10 seconds to complete the circle. The skier takes the same amount of time to complete a larger circle with diameter 56m. How much faster than the speedboat does the skier travel to the nearest km per hour?

3) How many triangles of any size are in this diagram? Link: http://puzzlersworld.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/how-many-triangles-in-this-hexagon.gif
(Possible options: 13, 17, 37, 43 - I guessed 43 but there are definitely more than 17)

4. Edward paints a fence in 12 hours. Danny paints 60% faster than Edward. How much time would Danny need to paint the same fence?
(Possible options: 8hr, 7hr 30min, 7hr 12min, 4hr 48min - I got 7hr 30min but I suspect it is wrong)

Thank you so much for your time, it is really appreciated! :)
I don't remember any of these questions. Did you do the Year 12 paper (Paper J)?

jihad1234

HSC
Haha in fact it is Paper F (I am a year 9 student in New Zealand). Still, I would really appreciate any answers :)

Web Addict

HSC
Haha in fact it is Paper F (I am a year 9 student in New Zealand). Still, I would really appreciate any answers :)
Sorry, but I can't help you at the moment. I've got my Trials. :(

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
What was the answer to the question with like the numbers:

2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, etc

where you add a number which doesn't change the median etc.

I can't remember the exact question and I think I might have misread it. Answers were like 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5

Web Addict

HSC
I think that there are more numbers to the question. From what I remember, it also said the added number will not change the mean. I think the answer is 5.5, assuming I didn't misread the question.

What did you get for Question 37, which asked about the volume of the rectangular prism and the volume of the cylinder? I got the diameter as 8, but I think I misread the question. According to someone else, the question asked for the radius. Do you remember if the question asked for the radius or the diameter? That was the only one from the last five that I was bothered to do.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

HSC
I think that there are more numbers to the question. From what I remember, it also said the added number will not change the mean. I think the answer is 5.5, assuming I didn't misread the question.
Yep cos I put 5.5, but looking back at it I wasn't sure if I had read the question right. If it is 5.5, I could very well be looking at 40/40.

Web Addict

HSC
Yep cos I put 5.5, but looking back at it I wasn't sure if I had read the question right. If it is 5.5, I could very well be looking at 40/40.
Wow. Way to go.

Do you think that this year's competition was a lot easier that last year's? I remember struggling with the first question last year. LOL.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Wow. Way to go.

Do you think that this year's competition was a lot easier that last year's? I remember struggling with the first question last year. LOL.
Yeah I thought the same too. I rechecked if I had gotten the correct paper after the first couple questions

RealiseNothing

HSC
Wow. Way to go.

Way easier. I didn't even finish last year but finished this year with a good 10-15 minutes left.

Resource

HSC
I did Paper H but I did have that question about the cylinder and the rectangular prism. I think my answer was a radius of 4. I thought the question asked for the radius...

Web Addict

HSC
I did Paper H but I did have that question about the cylinder and the rectangular prism. I think my answer was a radius of 4. I thought the question asked for the radius...
Crap! That was only question that I attempted out of the last five questions and I still go it wrong because of some stupid mistake.

MineTurtle

HSC
I did the G paper this morning and I'm in year 9 Australia. I had no.4 of the questions you mentioned (Edward paints a fence in 12 hours. Danny paints 60% faster than Edward. How much time would Danny need to paint the same fence?).

I had the same problem! I initially had A (4hr 48min) and then changed it to 7hr 30min when checking. What is 60% faster? If it means completing it in 40% of the time Edward paints it, it is 4hr 48min. But then what is 10% faster? 50% faster? 100% faster? Someone put me out of my misery and explain this concept to me. :/

Resource

HSC
I did the G paper this morning and I'm in year 9 Australia. I had no.4 of the questions you mentioned (Edward paints a fence in 12 hours. Danny paints 60% faster than Edward. How much time would Danny need to paint the same fence?).

I had the same problem! I initially had A (4hr 48min) and then changed it to 7hr 30min when checking. What is 60% faster? If it means completing it in 40% of the time Edward paints it, it is 4hr 48min. But then what is 10% faster? 50% faster? 100% faster? Someone put me out of my misery and explain this concept to me. :/
I got 7hrs 12mins.

Web Addict

HSC
I did the G paper, but the G and H papers are the same, aren't they?
Anyways, I have the paper here (we were allowed to keep it).

Here's the question I think you're talking about...
Q37
A square prism has a base area of 25 square cm and a volume of 200 cubic cm. A cylinder has the same volume as the prism, but is only half its height. What is the radius of the cylinder to the nearest cm?
You're allowed to keep the papers? By the way, thanks for finding the question and posting it up. So, I just made the most careless mistake ever. I'm so pissed at myself.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

HSC
What did you get for Question 37, which asked about the volume of the rectangular prism and the volume of the cylinder? I got the diameter as 8, but I think I misread the question. According to someone else, the question asked for the radius. Do you remember if the question asked for the radius or the diameter? That was the only one from the last five that I was bothered to do.
It was definitely the radius, 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)