ICAS Mathematics Competition (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh nevermind, was going to upload, but the files are corrupted lol.

Resource

HSC
Yes the H paper did have the 117 answer question but so did the Year 12 (J) Paper.

MineTurtle

HSC
It was question 40 on the H paper so you might not have had it. I can't really remember much about it so I'm being very vague...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Paper G and Paper H are the same, coz I had the same question and I did Paper G. Anyways, here's the rug question so you all remember...

Sue works in a rug shop. She has three rugs with a combined area of 200sqm. Sue arranges the rugs so they overlap and cover a floor area of 140sqm. The total floor area that is covered by exactly two layers is 24sqm. What is the floor are that is covered by exactly three layers of rugs, in square metres.

This is how I did it:

Draw 3 rugs (square or circular) that have 3 ares where there are no overlaps, 3 areas where two rugs overlap and 1 area in the middle where all three rugs overlap.

Since the new area (when rugs are overlapped) is 140sqm, total area of the rugs that are overlapped is 200sqm-140sqm which equals 60sqm. The area of overlapped rugs where only two rugs are overlapped is 24sqm (as mentioned in the question). Therefore the area where three rugs overlap must be 60sqm-24sqm which equals 36sqm.

Answer(Well, what I put down)= 36sqm

MineTurtle

HSC
Yes the H paper did have the 117 answer question but so did the Year 12 (J) Paper.
The G paper also had that question! Although it is common for them to repeat throughout year levels.

Here's the question:

a, b, c are three positive whole numbers.
Their sum is 117.

- a is a prime number
- b and c are multiples of a
- b <= c (b is smaller than or greater than c)

What is the greatest possible value for the product abc?

(A) 9 747
(B) 15 379
(C) 35 152
(D) 42 237

I'm pretty sure someone explained why/how it's C. I did it slightly differently but got the same answer anyway.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Got results today, 38/40 :(

Still not sure if that's a medal or just a HD though, haven't received the actual award. All it says is "this score is in the 99th percentile etc".

Makematics

HSC

Still not sure if that's a medal or just a HD though, haven't received the actual award. All it says is "this score is in the 99th percentile etc".
"Only" the 99th percentile lol... Dude if you toppe the state last year with 34, surely you crushed everyone this year?

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
When will the results show on the ICAS website?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

Is your name Ash?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
"Only" the 99th percentile lol... Dude if you toppe the state last year with 34, surely you crushed everyone this year?
This year felt easier though + year 12 not year 11 so the medal would be a higher score.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Does NSG have a week long muftiday or something?

Realise, what uniform did u wear for 'boys' day? My friend wore grammar i think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)