Ideas for Major Works (1 Viewer)

Kimber

The White Lion
HSC
Pungemo and PwarYuex stop your incessant and rather childish fighting, who cares who is right. Stop flaming each other and leave this thread open to people who are struggling to find an idea for the projects.
Does anyone have any suggestions that are more 'modern' than ancient Greece?

X

xeuyrawp

pungemo said:
Seeing as you were so keen to check my story perhaps you could give me a name so I could return the favour?
What does that mean? Whose name do you want and why?

And please, if you can't be bothered to make a serious attempt at posting, don't bother. Also, if you want to quote something that people can read 3 lines before that's fine but mis-quoting is just childish.
No, it's not childish - it's a mechanism that allows people to directly respond to what you say, like I'm doing now. It ensures that nothing of your silly posts are left un-responded to.

One thing you keep posting that has me confused - you repeatedly claim I get destroyed in every thread. Now I did get into an argument with you about an idea in one other thread.
Ok, well let's look at this thread: You were wrong it this one about the Carthaginians. Let's look at this thread, where you are too lazy to even look up the BOS website and get the figures for yourself. Let's look at this thread where you lied about word counts at your school, etc etc.

Problem is I distinctly remember that the person who's ideas you were 'promoting' stated quite clearly he agreed with my point of view. I think you should check your facts.
Maybe you could be more specific? Or do you insist on being so general all the time.

Basically, if you want to argue with me, you have to prove:
1. Carthaginians
, not Phoenicians, influenced our alphabet,
2. that Carthage hadn't developed its own culture by the time the alphabet was given to Ancient Greece,
3. that your school had a word-count of 8000+ on the essay.

You need to prove these in your next post to me, or you're clearly wrong on both accounts.

Kimber said:
Pungemo and PwarYuex stop your incessant and rather childish fighting, who cares who is right. Stop flaming each other and leave this thread open to people who are struggling to find an idea for the projects.
How is it childish? He's wrong, I've proved he's wrong. They're both significant issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions that are more 'modern' than ancient Greece?
What area are you interested in?

pungemo

HSC
So... mis-quoting is a method to ensure that my remarks are replied to? CAN YOU PLEASE READ.... better question: can you read?

OK, let's indeed look at these two threads.

Thread 1:
You bitch about me not looking up some figures. Wait a second, you posted first with a distinct lack of figures. Hmmm, seems to be a double standard here.

Thread 2:
Here is where you completely ignore the argument because you know you can't win it and it has been conclusively proven that you really have no idea what you're talking about. So, as a last desperate lunge you leap for,
PwarYuex said:
look he may have made a mistake! look he's correcting himself! he must have everything wrong! I win! I win! I 0wnz0rs you all!
Also, perhaps you ignored it because he said something you didn't like, but Caratacus said that it was a good STARTING POINT. What did I say? a good STARTING POINT. What did you say? something completely stupid.

I am not going to attempt to prove anything to you. I have already explained what I said, you just haven't read it yet.

PwarYuex said:
You need to prove these in your next post to me, or you're clearly wrong on both accounts.
You do realise the complete and utter lack of intelligence demonstrated in this comment? Now I believe the proper method of approach is that you have to prove me wrong as I was the first to speak. So, unless you can prove your point of view on all three please don't bother posting again.

TO KIMBER:
I apologise for this argument, it is indeed immature. I did not come here looking for an argument. My original post was a little unclear on some issues, and there was indeed one mistake. I accepted PwarYuex's criticism and explained what I meant but he seems to have taken it the wrong way. I can't help but feel slightly responsible for giving him an opportunity.

X

xeuyrawp

And there we go. You didn't respond to what I said about the arguments - you didn't argue against the Carthaginian's alleged involvement in our alphabet, or your school's mysterious 8000+ word limit.

You didn't respond to 75% of my post, but instead refer to me not 'winning' an argument. Which argument? The one about the Carthaginians (which you still haven't responded to), or the one about your school's word limit (which you still haven't responded to)?

You made a really immature mis-quote.

That's pretty indicative to me. :)

X

xeuyrawp

pungemo - lastly, I'll point you to some good books to read.

Clearly you're misinformed, which can sometimes happen:
  • Jeffery's piece, The local scripts of Archaic Greece is an excellent place to start.
  • Woodard's Greek Writing from Knossos to Homer is also great, but is probably only good to get into after a bit of an introduction like Jeffrey.
  • Rivero's Comparative Syntax of Balkan Languages is the book to read if you're into linguistics, and although I've only read a few chapter here and there, I can highly recommend. It is very dry in places, and unless you're not into linguistics, it may not be the best thing to hit, initially.

I've read a really awesome article on the question of how Phoenician got to Greece, but I can't remember the name, and I never printed it out... If I manage to find it, I'll post it up. :)

pungemo

HSC
I hardly think you're the one to talk about immature mis-quotes, but I'm glad you noticed it, maybe it will help you realise what you've been doing in most of your posts.

Although, I am dismayed to see that you are still ignoring the argument and instead creating your own. You should take up debating, you're very good at missing the point.

X

xeuyrawp

pungemo said:
Although, I am dismayed to see that you are still ignoring the argument and instead creating your own.
I'm very sorry I missed your point.

Can you please rephrase it into a few short sentences with key pieces of evidence summarised, just so I can respond to it once and for all? :)

You should take up debating, you're very good at missing the point.
You've seemed to again be misinformed. If you miss the point, you're a bad debater. Committing fallacies like attacking the straw-man make for poor results. :)

X

xeuyrawp

pungemo said:
I am dismayed to see that you are still ignoring the argument
Well then I'd hope you'd respond to my queries:

1. Just to clarify, we were arguing about Carthage's influence over our alphabet.

You said:
pungemo said:
Despite being major contributors to our modern alphabet the Carthaginians wrote on paper,
I said:
pwar said:
Carthage had nothing to do with it - it simply got Phoenician around the same time and developed Punic.
I cite the sources above as my evidence - minus the article, which I can't name, of course. If you'd like, I can point out exact pages or photocopy/scan and then mail/email them.

2. We were also arguing about the word limit at your school.

You said:
pungemo said:
At our school I believe the word limit is upwards of 8000.
I said:
pwar said:
his [a student at Normos] word limit was 2500, like everyone else in the state
I cite my student, which I briefly tutored, as well as his friends, as my evidence. If you'd like, I can ring up the school for a more authorative say in the matter.

Response?

pungemo

HSC
Just to verify your claims, perhaps you could name the 'student' you have 'spoken' to. Perhaps you could, for once in your rather pathetic argument, read the second post. I refuse to argue with you until you have at least read previous posts. If you continue to be too lazy to do so I would suggest you refrain from posting.

X

xeuyrawp

pungemo said:
Just to verify your claims, perhaps you could name the 'student' you have 'spoken' to.
I'll ask him.

Perhaps you could, for once in your rather pathetic argument,
You actually haven't pointed out what's pathetic about it. You also haven't shown me to be wrong on any accounts. :)

read the second post.
The second post of the thread:

ancient_nut said:
Oh, have thought of another.

Is the study of literature acceptable in order to find information about a historical period? (could look at Shakespeare, or the colonisation literature for Greece, or Homer)
What's that got to do with your argument?

pungemo said:
I refuse to argue with you until you have at least read previous posts.
I've read all the previous posts - I'm sorry if I can't understand your argument. I'm obviously not as intelligent as you. :)

If you continue to be too lazy to do so I would suggest you refrain from posting.
Do you realise that you could have summed up your entire argument (as I have) in a couple of sentences?

All I ask is that your main point is clearly stated with the evidence - you could have done such a thing in less time that it took you to write the above post.

I'm sorry if it's a bother, but I'm sure you can handle writing a couple of sentences.

Basically: Your point, your evidence, how it contradicts my points and my evidence. Three sentences. :)

Edit: You also haven't answered how I'm wrong about these points:

pwar said:
1. Carthaginians, not Phoenicians, influenced our alphabet,
2. that Carthage hadn't developed its own culture by the time the alphabet was given to Ancient Greece,
3. that your school had a word-count of 8000+ on the essay.
which is what we were arguing about in the first place. Please respond to them in a proper manner in your next post - you've actually ignored the points altogether, it seems.

By the way, we appreciate it if you quote the entire posts of people (like I have done now) - to ensure that no point is left unaddressed. You don't explicitly state where you stand (as I have numerous times), and you don't address everything I've said. If I haven't addressed all of what you've said, please state exactly which point of yours that I haven't addressed, and what I say to which exactly pieces of proof that you use.

Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

Maybe it would help if I made a little Q/A thing for you - if you answer these one by one, we will all be very happy:

1. What is your proof that Carthaginians influenced our language?
What do you say to the reasoning of the sources that I have provided?
You obviously disagree with the historians and linguists I've listed, where do they go wrong?

2. What do you say to the people that have told me that your school's word limit is exactly 2500 words, like everyone else?

You could answer these very succinctly and directly, so I'm sure my 'pathetic argument' will be destroyed by your logic, won't it?

You haven't asked any questions which I haven't answered, and you haven't provided any real proof or ideas that I haven't addressed, so I expect the same out of you.

Feel free to quote yourself as answering to my questions, but remember to keep it short.

Feel free to provide your own cross-questioning. If you ask any valid questions, I will be sure to answer them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

pungemo said:
Obviously you still haven't read it. Try again.
I have read it. Please point out where you answered my questions. In fact, you haven't even mentioned the word-limit issue once in this thread. How could you have said it if it's not even in the thread? :)

It seems that you're saying 'I can answer your question, but I don't feel like it' - I remember when I did that when I was about five years old.

Also note that in your second most post, you could have easily answered my questions in less words.

X

xeuyrawp

Alternatively, maybe you could point out in exactly which post (you can look at the post number - this is post #35) out where you answered my questions? That way, I'll be sure to go through the post again and address all your issues.

Kimber

The White Lion
HSC
PwarYuex,
I was interested in doing a war, possibly studying different aspects like how the topography was utilised.
Preferably something 19-20th centuries.
Thanks for all your help, it is appreciated, if only you were gay, then i could thank you properly.
I'm kidding of course, you flagrant homosexual.

X

xeuyrawp

Kimber said:
PwarYuex,
I was interested in doing a war, possibly studying different aspects like how the topography was utilised.
Preferably something 19-20th centuries.
Thanks for all your help, it is appreciated, if only you were gay, then i could thank you properly.
I'm kidding of course, you flagrant homosexual.
Hahah <3 kimber.

War would be interesting, although it would be cool if you could talk about pre-modern war machines.

Something that could be good would be bringing in cultural things on top of it, maybe some William the Conqueror stuff and how Normans had to re-organise their perceptions and responses to war, and how this influenced their subsequent placement of Common Law.

... Ok that's pretty specific, but you get the idea :p

elenitsa

HSC
i only do ancient and have stupidly chosen something from modern greek history (i thought a change would be nice)

im doing the greek military junta of 1967...well around there anyway...im having alot of trouble forming a question and time is running out :(

i've basically narrowed it down to either...the rise of ek before the junta...or the impact on the public...particulary the uprising of the students at the athens polytechnic...but i still don't know... :S

*emi*

HSC
i am having issues finding a topic for history ext...
there is SO MUCH STUFF IN HISTORY THAT HAS HAPPEND
=S
and i REALLY cant do ancient.. the whole dates moving backwards thing is really confusing me lol
sooo stuck for an idea that hasnt been done before.. was thinking holocaust but <i> very </i> overdone.. *sigh*

any ideas anyone?

siobhan07

HSC
I know that at my school alot of ppl are choosing things like JFK and suuff to do with egypt. I personally think that its important not to delve too much into religious matters and debates as ui will just get bogged down . cheers:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)